Become a Haunt Actor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Become a Haunt Actor?

Can you help me how should I become a haunt actor? How can I get started doing it? Is it through interview, e-mail to any haunted houses, or convention?

Well, I only wanted to know how to go about being an actor at the haunted house or any haunt places. What should I do? And, I would like to be the horror film star! :lol:

Well, the first thing to do is call or check the websites of local haunts and see if they want actors. Get into contact with them and ask how you can sign up.

As for me, I read an article in the newspaper about Dr. Pain's stating they're always open those who want to volunteer. I drove down to Pain's soon thereafter, met a few people, filled out some forms (no interview), went on a tour, got the info on who I was going to be, what I am to do, and that was it.
    Last edited by Smiley; 02-29-2008, 06:58 PM.

Comment

In my opinion the best haunt actors will also have the ability to present a normal facade to the world, so they can then vary from normalcy and thereby become scary (er), so work on that "Normal" thing for a beginning or a starting point.
      (I know this will be a very difficult trait to practise for some since you might be so far from it to begin with.) hahahahaha!

I often enjoy myself here "acting" along with the emotional release and basic satisfaction , that I might actually be enjoying some therapy in performing.
      If your acting becomes "Therapy" be sure to remain mostly within your own conscious mind, know what you are doing so nobody gets hurt.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Ok, the question is... when I get started acting in any haunted places, what time do I have to work? Like, 5 PM until midnight? Anyone knows about the haunt hours?

And also, do I have to eat and drink anything after the showtime is over? Tell me more that I really needed to know.

Comment

Ok, the question is... when I get started acting in any haunted places, what time do I have to work? Like, 5 PM until midnight? Anyone knows about the haunt hours?
          The hours can vary. Some haunts run all day and night, others run from dusk till really early in the morning, and sometimes haunt don't close until the line dies. You'll have to ask the guys at whatever haunt you have your eye on about what to expect the hours to be.

And also, do I have to eat and drink anything after the showtime is over?
          Do you have to eat and drink after showtime.....Um, no. You don't have to. As far as food goes, some places will supply snacks while some would perfer you bring your own food. Either way, I highly suggest you bring some water in with you. Helps clear the throat and let's face it, it can get hot in costume.

Water. It are very good, yes.

Comment

Yeah I would suggest drinking water, orange juice or lemonaid. It helps with the throat becoming raw from screaming and yelling. As for the working hours. Most haunts suggest you arrive 2 hours before the doors open to the public. You got to get ready putting on make-up and your costume. On very busy nights you might be working until 2 or 3am. It can be very hard and tiring work sometimes but it's well worth it. My 2 cents
            ~Bill Mlinac
            The Deadland Haunted House
            www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
            www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

what I did

I haven't done anything yet , iam waiting to join the meetings later in the month, but, what I did was contacted my local haunted house, and asked if they needed people.
              They were very good with getting back to me and giving me the info.

So, just contact the place you want to work at. Google your location and see where the closest place is.

Comment

Another piece of advice, there are different styles of haunt acting. You might have to shelve your preconceived notions about how and exactly what you will be doing as you are "acting".
                Be ready to ask a few questions to define what the owner or manager wants from you.
                I explain what I do and don't want from potential employees right upfront to save both of us a lot of wasted time. Compared to some places I ask for restraint and just common respect for the customer, along with paying attention to how scared or disstressed any of them may be becoming.
                Just lunging from a dark corner and screaming in someone's face is not what I want here, but some places will no doubt demand such an action, possibly all night long.
                Most of my October people do have to actually talk to the customers and actually communicate with them as the tour happens and this is unfortunately, something many people can not or will not feel comfortable doing. It's too "scary" for the employee!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Crazy Bob is teaching a Class on Friday June 13th called Hauntertainers U...a class designed to make you a better actor. Its 75 dollars but its well worth the price you get endless knowledge a dvd and a booklet! If your interested contact me and i will forward your info on to him...or all the info is at www.midwesthauntersconvention.com in the Pre Education tab
                  Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Having been involved with Actors both as one and directing them, I can say a Good Positive Attitude is the number one thing I look for; will you do what I ask, stay where I put you, and listen to what I tell you. There is nothing worse than ending up with 5 actors in one room all talking and out of character, or one that will not take a place because it's too far from where the "action" is. Those actors that will throw themselves into any role you put in front of them and go that extra mile are the ones that get invited back.

Find a haunt, email them, show up if they ask and have the attitude I am here to do whatever you guys ask me too. Listen to them and follow there direction, they have most likely been at it for a while and know a thing or two about scaring people. The hours are long, the pay sucks, the food can be cold, but I tell you there is nothing sweeter than watching a grown man have a come apart because of a the scare you were just a part of.

True haunted house actors are a special breed, they have to be even tempered, maybe even zen like, when some idiot is trying to impress his friends that he did not just jump and scream like a little girl when you exploded out of dark. Or the drunks who want to touch your make up or the props, or the loud mouths that are popping off every three seconds, no a good actor lets that roll off and lives for the scare, for those that get scared and those that enjoy a great scene. He or she gets their reward from those screams, those oooh's and aaah's, that comment about how awesome the make up or scenery is. True haunted house actors come early and don't want to leave when it's over. They live for it. If you are that person the owner will know it the first night you work.
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree that a positive attidue is a must. Haunt acting is a lot harder than it looks (its not just jumpin and saying, "Boo"), and it does require a lot of patience and timing to master the different styles of acting. Listen to any supervisors and the other actors, they do know what they are talking about and their advice can go a long way. I think one of the best ways to learn is from watching other actors, it can guide you as to which acting styles work in that environment and how to handle the "difficult" customers.

Stamina is incredibly important, most haunts are open at least 4 hours a night and you don't want to blow out you voice and use up your energy within the first hour. Acting can be physically demanding, so you need to take care of your voice and body, because it is so easy to get exhausted and sick.

Have fun, it will always show if you are not enjoying what you are doing. It can be hard and frustrating, but once you get into the groove it is a blast.
                      Katie Lane
                      Partner/VP
                      Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                      sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

All true, Doc.
                        Sadly as I am open for tours almost every night of the entire year , I can tell you that I seldom see the difficult customers until the fall when some are being forced into a haunt who really don't want to be there. This "forced" situation does include guys who are afraid or their manliness is at risk who respond like bullies to a shadow.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                        X