sound system question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound system question

Greetings all. I had a few questions concerning sound systems. First let me explain what I want to do with it. I want to have perhaps 8 to 12 speakers playing soft house music. I want to be able to play effects through any of those speakers individually at a higher volume (obviously) than the house music.

That is each speaker will have effects controled by inputs that will output fx soundtracks overtop of the house music, Also I want to be able to tie lighting effects into the fx sounds.

Question 1. besides the speakers, what equiptment do I need for this? and question 2, where can I get said equiptment?

OK, well this is a complex question because what you want to do is very tricky. There are multi channel audio cueing software/hardware units that are computer controlled and can play audio tracks on all, some, or a specific speaker. Getting something like this is multiple thousands of dollars, plus requires a LOT of training and time. Look up the Matrix 3 from Meyer Sound for a better idea.

The easier way is to have one set of speakers playing your "background" track, and have separate speakers linked to props or triggers that play your louder single-source audio tracks.

Hopefully that will help steer you in the right direction. Please feel free to contact me for any follow-up questions.
    Ben
    Tustin Haunt, Tustin CA
    www.tustinhaunt.com

Comment

Actually this doesnt have to be expensive and it doesnt have to be complex, I researched this problem a couple of years ago and developed a pretty good workable solution.

The trick is to use a computer with a 7.1 surround sound system and to mix the sounds to the different channels, I detailed this method and put some free software on my website

http://www.mordor.plus.com/Audio.html

This method will give you 7/8 channels per computer, but computers and sound cards are cheap enough these days, so doubling up on them should not be a problem.

For triggering the audio you can then use the SkullTroniX Exorcist haunt control system, I developed this system primarilly for controlling VSA, but it also works for controlling sound and video.

For more info go to the forum at

www.skulltronix.com

Bryan

Comment

Thank you both for the imput. I was thinking that the easiest way would be as suggested to use one system for the house sound and have each effect individually controled. Probobly the easiest method and money will definently be an issue.( isn't it always? ). Anyway, I will explore both the ideas and see what I can come up with. Again thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          Actually this doesnt have to be expensive and it doesnt have to be complex, I researched this problem a couple of years ago and developed a pretty good workable solution.

The trick is to use a computer with a 7.1 surround sound system and to mix the sounds to the different channels, I detailed this method and put some free software on my website

http://www.mordor.plus.com/Audio.html

This method will give you 7/8 channels per computer, but computers and sound cards are cheap enough these days, so doubling up on them should not be a problem.

For triggering the audio you can then use the SkullTroniX Exorcist haunt control system, I developed this system primarilly for controlling VSA, but it also works for controlling sound and video.

For more info go to the forum at

www.skulltronix.com

Bryan
          This is also a very good option! Definitely less expensive than the Matrix3 and probably the best bet if youre really adamant about doing what you had imagined - and relatively easy at that!
          Ben
          Tustin Haunt, Tustin CA
          www.tustinhaunt.com

Comment

Working...
          X