Conventions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conventions?

I'm planning on opening a commercial attraction in 09'. Unfortunatly I will not be

able to attend Transworld this year, but MHC and HauntCon are possibilities.

I know there is a ton of great education at these conventions, and I will for sure

be attending a few next year. But, being that I will not be opening my event untill

09', would it really be worth the time and money to make it out to a convention

this year. If so, which one (other than Transworld) would you recomend. And,

keep in mind that I will mainly be attending for the educational seminars.

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Jordan Renda
    www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Scare Parts

Hello Jordan I would suggest Mid West Haunt they are offering some great information. Also while in Columbus you can Visit places like Unit70 and Scarefactory to see some products first hand. Also there is Scareparts I would not suggest buying anything from them however as they have a bad rap for taking peoples money then crying out to the public to feel sorry for them because they had a bad year. Also at MWHC Oak Island will be there and they too offer some great products. You really need to keep a check here on Haunt World and Haunted Attractions where you will find great info on vendors and products. Good Luck in 2009 with the opening of your haunt and remember. Scareparts will take your money and leave you high and dry and when they do the scare will be on you and not your customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Just a couple of edits here so you dont get the wrong info. Unit 70 and Scarefactory are both in columbus...However ScareParts moved north..and the guy had some health issues...As i understand it he is trying to resolve all of the issues. Midwest Haunters Convention would def be the choice for you to attend. You can never learn enough or network enough. As for Oak Island im not sure if they bought a booth or not.
      Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Greystone

I think everyone gets the picture about scareparts, it's ok now you can back away from the computer! lol

Comment

Tater

I must correct you on the Facts as I know it Keith health issue was a visit to the ER he was there for 4 hours not a week like he told. And as far as working things out I assure you thats just what he says and post here. In reality his own attorney wont return calls ( I dont think he has the money to pay his attorney so the attorney is not putting forth an effort. This is not to my understanding this is A TRUE AND KNOWN FACT. But thanks for the input. But you are correct when you said he moved .He did he moved to a place his mother-n-law owned and gave it to him rent free for a year because he did not pay his rent where he was there in Columbus and was being forced out. If we had of known this before I am sure many would have not bought from him and lost their hard earned money. These are all true facts. Thanks.
          sigpic

Comment

Jordan,

While you have the oppurtunity visit as many haunts as possible. Beside the ones in your market, consider doing a road trip and seeing as many as you can.
            It will probably be your last chance!!!

As it has been said many times, subscribe to every magazine, DVD, scour the message boards. Soak in as much info as possible. Have a boatload of money available, and don't expect to make it back for a couple of years, (just like a REAL business!!!)

Also really do the local homework. Will the market support another haunt??? How much trouble will you have with local officials?? Are locations available??

If you are really opening in '09 I think I would have found the time and money to do TW this year. This is a real business and requires real commitment. (and trust me after a few years in the business you WILL need to be committed!!!!)

It's a BIG investment of time and money!! Good luck

Rich
            R&J Productions
            Las Vegas, NV
            www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Here is your best advice...

Call all the companies and request their 2008 catelogs. Get someone to pick you up a Transworld show directory. Not all the vendors will be at either Hauntcon or MHC. So your best bet is just that...

Also Hauntworld will be coming out with a new Yellow Pages which will help you find more vendors than you'll find at any show or all put together.

However nothing beats seeing people face to face... from what I hear MHC will have a lot of vendors this year, and lots of very affordable seminars. I think MHC is better in everyway in terms of vendors and seminars than Hauntcon, however their draw back is that they do not move. So if you're looking for haunt tours your better off with Hauntcon.

This year Hauntcon will tour two really cool attractions: 13th Gate and House of Shock. Those are can not miss events.

So maybe go to both.

Or maybe try and get away for one day and come to TW.

They're all still options!

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks for the comments Larry.

Yes, MHC will have an anticipated 75 vendors in 115 booth over 25,000 square feet of show floor. We already have an impressive list posted with a number of others who have said they are coming but have not registered yet.

Yes, while you are here you can visit Unit 70 and Scarefactory IF you can work it out with them. These shops really are not open to the public but are always welcoming if arrangements are made in advance. I hope to be announcing Scarefactory's involvement with MHC soon after Transworld.

As for education, I take great pride in trying to put together a list of classes that will appeal to everyone. We try to have some educational offerings not only for haunt owners but there support people as well. Check out the list of classes posted on the website and I am sure you will find many that are of interest to you. You registration also includes the classes offered by the Midwest Fantasy Show. While these classes are aimed at a different market, there is some crossover.

Comment

With all the positives here, I hate to throw in a Negative, BUT GOOD LUCK Getting in contact with Scarefactory, Not down talking them, but they lost a customer in us by their lack of communication, and down right hostile attitudes towards us.

UNIT 70 is a MUST HAVE VENDOR! Bo and Brady rock!
                  MHC is the MUST ATTEND EVENT of 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Do both! If you say you can’t afford to do both, you really can’t afford not too. Rich said it above and Larry has said it a million times get and go to every mag, book, dvd, boards, websites conventions you can. Just one good idea can pay for the cost of all of these several times over.

There are many Leonard bashers on this board so they might be swayed to MHC but both shows are great. Hauntcon gives to the advantage of seeing more haunts in one week then most people see in a lifetime and moves to a different city each year. It is very cool to see that different parts of the country do things different then others. Seeing many different haunts can be a great educational experience in itself.

After you open for your first year, like many others, you might become an expert and do your own seminars and thus not need to spend another dime. Sorry…….cheap shot but I couldn’t resist!

See ya soon at TW, HC & MHC and others,
                    Jeff Londos
                    Monster-Tronics
                    Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                    www.Monster-Tronics.com
                    Regards,
                    Jeff Londos
                    Monster-Tronics
                    Innovators in Haunt Technologies
                    www.Monster-Tronics.com
                    Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone.

I really wanted to get out to TW this year, but a few things came up and it just isn't an option for me.

Right now MHC fits my schedule perfectly, so I'm looking forward to getting out there.

It sounds like Eastern Haunters Convention has a great tour lined up as well with Terror Behind Walls, Fright Factory, and such. Does anybody know anything else about them?

And as far as getting a look at other haunts this season. I'm making a trip October out to New Orleans to see The Mortuary, House of Shock, and 13th Gate.

Thanks for the help,
                      Jordan Renda
                      www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Comment

In my personal experience

Jordan, you've gotten a lot of great advice so I have just one peice to add. Make sure that you soak everything in and learn not only good ideas, but the bad ideas that you can learn what NOT to do from them. I have grown the most from watching others and figuring out how I could make it work for me. Not saying that you shouldn't make mistakes (another way that I have learned alot too) but sometimes you can let others make some mistakes for you!
                        Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Working...
                        X