Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

Hey everyone,

Id like to start transitioning from making my own appliances/props to making custom animatronics... any decent resources available as to how i should start my quest for knowledge? I figure since I'm fairly well versed in life casting, modeling, molding, silicone and slush latex work, fiberglass mold making, polyurethane casting, costuming, set building, lighting, sound, wig and hair work, and even computer graphics and animation, Its only a natural transition for me to try and tackle the world of motion in the plain of reality.

problem being, i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about pneumatics, hydrolics, or servo motors.... so this is going to be a complete learning experience.... but one that i feel is well worth any headaches i may get along the way.

Ultimate goal would be to offer up some of my props, appliances, costumes, and animations for sale to the haunting community, but i really want to wait until i have something i personally consider to be a high-quality piece. Most of what I've made so far has been pretty run-of-the-mill and similar to a lot of whats already out there.... but oh the ideas i have yet had time to realize lol.

Any help?
    -Mat

I have an idea

Try ScareParts you seem to know alot about things but nothing about them (ScareParts). Give them a try I am sure you will be given good knowladge! And after taking Keith advice be ready to close your doors as fast as you opened them.
    sigpic

Comment

how does your reply even fit within the contexts of this post?

in what way are you contributing to this forum if you feel the need to TRY and pick fights with people over a topic that we all agreed upon at first, but are sick of hearing about?

in what way do i know nothing about Scareparts? obviously, everyone on this board knows that you were screwed out of 5k by them, that Keith has nothing, and that your "attorney" is in the process of writing up a lawsuit. (IF in fact this claim of a lawsuit were based in fact, your attorney would have advised you to address the issue with absolute professionalism, this keeps your case an easy one on his part, a feat you have yet to accomplish.)

Give them a try I am sure you will be given good knowladge!
      What good "knowladge" would they give me? would that be how to royally piss off their customers? or how to create unrealistic props? because neither are my intent.

Once again, professionalism and decency will get you much further in life. Its a novel idea that several forum members have suggested you try. I was nice, I was professional, and I even tried to suggest solutions to your problem. That was to your first few posts on this subject. Enough is enough. I then tried to point out the error in your attitude, and your lack of professionalism. This thread was started without mention of Scareparts, and you have turned it into a thread revolving around your poor outlook towards everyone in the haunt industry just because you happened to get crossed by a complete scam. Its time to put that topic down, apologize to those who's time you have wasted with these posts, apologize to the future haunters you may have scared away from our industry completely, and grow up a little bit.

Until then, i have nothing further to say to you.

~Icarian

and now back to our regularly scheduled topic already in progress:
      -Mat

Comment

Generally the makers and distributors of all of these pieces and parts, have significat instructions on how the component can be used with technical details enclosed. It is just as simple as looking into the parts that might be used.

I dont know where you are located so how to approach welding and framing is hard to say. Some places you better learn how to cut and weld, other areas there are job shops everywhere that have millions into the right equipment and literally have a time card that goes with your project and you only pay for the seconds it underwent some process. In which case, it is better to support the local trades.

You build somewhat crude mock ups from any materials you can work with, work out dimensions and specs, then focus on a polished product standard that is affordable or stands up to the quality of being so much money.

Perhaps your first products are home haunter quality and the sharing of said information to fund the later super professional props. Or you have a haunted house with the intention of entertaining customers with what ever your capablities are and the money comes from selling tickets.

The bottom line is you are talking lots of money and the ability to understand the word budget. No money=No budget. A budget is having thousands on demand for said project. And it really shouldn't be some customers money and a promis that some day this will be delivered or be fabulous. The thing needs to be physically of this world, in stock and here's how much it is. It has been tested in a haunted house over so many years either in yours or as a promotion in one near you.

If it failed, the component issues are reapproached and so on.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

A long time ago, I saw a cartoon where a car painter is being asked how he did this awesome paint job, it looks great? He says he followed the instructions on the can of paint.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Last Reply

I have only mentiond the bad apple here. Go back and read the many post that I have put inreguards to the good people who I have listed. Your acting like your trying to cover up a problem. And with that you will get no where from me of the nearly 2000 viewers your one of the few that wants this kept quiet. I got my suspicions to your agenda. But unlike the many post I have posted to be 100% true I can only speculate on your agenda here. Why would you not want a bad vendor brought to everyone's attention. Why would you with TransWorld coming up not want to keep if fresh on everyones mind. I have angered maybe 1% here too the others I am sure they are proud that I am trying to protect their interest. Lastly go look at the forum I started. Have a Good Day and remember when starting out with your upcomiing business venture be "HONEST" Thats all I am asking as I said I love this industry and the people in it are like my family and I will not stand for them to be took advantage of whether or not you like it or maybe sick of hearing it. I care about these people as you should too!!! Remeber all the good honest vendors they are tons of them out there and they deserve our hard earned dollars!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Shane,

I think you're one cool interesting cat...

Now I'm issuing you a challenge! Start a new thread about anything interesting, something haunted, anything that doesn't mention Keith!

The challenge has been issued!

I know you know a lot about many things. Lets hear some tid bits about your haunt, something interesting you did last year!

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Here's a few books that might help:
                http://www.amazon.com/Animatronics-H.../dp/0790612194
                http://www.amazon.com/Affordable-Ani...d_bxgy_b_img_b
                http://www.amazon.com/Animatronics-D...pd_sim_b_img_6

Comment

THANK YOU, Infoamtek! thats exactly what i was looking for!
                  -Mat

Comment

I found these

http://www.thefrighteners.com/Prop%2...20Resource.htm

Haven't read them yet but they look promising. There are a couple of others that I would most definitely not recommend but don't want to sound negative.

Comment

Working...
                    X