Don't you just hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by film_actor View Post
    I REALLY hate when I get proposals and asked how much I get paid (which is nothing =[ ) !!!! I mean its quite funny but from my area, i can't see any of the audience cuz of the bright lights shinning on me...so i cant even see the people who propose haha. But it deffinatly ruins it for the rest of the paying customers and the actors as well. It makes me feel so out of character..i'm trying to BE the character and they just broke that barrier you know. lol o well, what can you do? =/
    Well, we can't deny him an honest answer. "What do you get paid?" "The brains of anyone who asks me stupid questions, and my, look who decided to volunteer...Goodie."
    Last edited by Smiley; 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Dude i have to listen to that crap all the time. Everyone does. But it's apart of the job haha.

Comment

confused and concerned

"Customers like hitting our actors, its something they live with. Its terrible for sure...not much you can do about it. Its the life and times of a haunted house actor."

I just stumbled on this thread and thus the above quote. The quote was from Sept of '07, so hopefully it is not something that would be repeated again, especially from a haunt owner.

The apathy of that statement scares me more than whatever dumb things our customers do and say. This thread began as a well-earned vent from actors and turned into an amusing back and forth with stories and advice for how to react to the stupidity of customers. The fact that none of the actors on here replied to the above quote amazed me. How can you, the actor who is at risk, not reply to a haunt owner saying there is nothing we can do about it and we should just live with it? I have been acting since 1993 and was hit ONCE because frankly, once was enough to teach me quite a few lessons. It is absolutely the responsibility of the haunt owners and managers to teach their actors how to deal with the many things the customers throw at us and it is the responsibility of the actors to put their safety before the scare. Some things we just can't prepare for, but to say there isn't much to do about it is irresponsible and very much a symptom of the problem of being a haunt actor and why our job has become more difficult and less enjoyable despite the growth of the haunt industry as a whole.

Please continue to exchange stories and advice with other actors, but unless the owners, managers and operators are reading and heeding what is being said then not much is going to change.
        Beth Miller

SoMetHinG WiCKed ThIS WAy CoMEs

What can we teach you about fear?

Comment

Haunt owners may be more guilty of getting their helpers abused when they don't look the guests over at all before allowing them entery to see if they are drunk, aggressive.
          Things I don't want to have go on in my house have always happened from either drunk customers or from too many people in a group (Greedy?)
          It's sort of like over driving your car. Emergency stopping at 60mph is one thing, emergency stopping at 100mph is a totally different thing isn't it?
          Having a crowd of solid, wall to wall paying bodies shuffling through the house means money (usually at the sacrifice of the scare or the show) more people, more potential for something to happen, along with that October vandal mentality of being an azzhole because they feel ripped off or owed something more than they feel they are getting, so steal,or break something to get "even".

A haunt actor accepting getting punched would be like a carpenter accepting cutting off a finger...every week? Just one per year? Would not that be acceptable? "Oh come on, I'm paying you! What is your problem, Stubbs?"
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Another Thing..

Getting punched is not always a thing that can be easily shrugged off.
            Teeth leave your mouth if you don't protect them correctly.
            Jaw hinges can be mis-alined causing years of discomfort.
            There is really no place on the human face designed to take a punch in my opinion.
            Concussions are huge time wasters in one's life when you have other things to do besides lay in a bed sleeping for several days, feeling like Chitt!
            People with numerous head injurys are also shown to be more prone to epilleptic fits later in life.
            When I was a kid, the TV cop shows showed some characters on a show get knocked unconscious every week! (Not a reality based premiss)
            I heard one of the three stooges died from head injurys from one of their little movies.
            It's only "funny" when abuse is not happening to us or someone we care about.
            You really don't have to stick your head down someone else's pants to scare them.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Both posts were well said, Jim.
              I'm sure greed leading to overcrowding has caused much of the "hey, it happens and we can't really do anything about it" mentality.
              You're right and I didn't really think about it, but one hit in the wrong spot on the wrong kid could cause a world of hurt for both the actor and the owner.

People are dumb and I realize that it is difficult to counteract that at times, but if you can drive defensively, you can run your haunt defensively and teach your actors that are making your haunt what it is to act defensively.
              Beth Miller

Comment

Originally posted by AnandaHexen View Post
                "Customers like hitting our actors, its something they live with. Its terrible for sure...not much you can do about it. Its the life and times of a haunted house actor."

I just stumbled on this thread and thus the above quote. The quote was from Sept of '07, so hopefully it is not something that would be repeated again, especially from a haunt owner.

The apathy of that statement scares me more than whatever dumb things our customers do and say. This thread began as a well-earned vent from actors and turned into an amusing back and forth with stories and advice for how to react to the stupidity of customers. The fact that none of the actors on here replied to the above quote amazed me. How can you, the actor who is at risk, not reply to a haunt owner saying there is nothing we can do about it and we should just live with it? I have been acting since 1993 and was hit ONCE because frankly, once was enough to teach me quite a few lessons. It is absolutely the responsibility of the haunt owners and managers to teach their actors how to deal with the many things the customers throw at us and it is the responsibility of the actors to put their safety before the scare. Some things we just can't prepare for, but to say there isn't much to do about it is irresponsible and very much a symptom of the problem of being a haunt actor and why our job has become more difficult and less enjoyable despite the growth of the haunt industry as a whole.

Please continue to exchange stories and advice with other actors, but unless the owners, managers and operators are reading and heeding what is being said then not much is going to change.
                BRAVO!!! Well said! That deserves a standing ovation! I started out as a haunt actor (working my way into everything else, of course) in 1992. I got hit a few times...and learned a few lessons, as well. We've trained our actors & staff on what to do in case they find themselves in a situation, as well as what NOT to do. More importantly, our owners handle any issue that may arise on a case by case basis, no matter who was at fault. I definitely applaud them for that!
                www.mindseizure.com
                www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

read my new post in the "punched and kicked" thread...it says it all....if its assault and i feel threatened its on and you better hope security gets their fast...I wont try and hurt you, but any thing you try to do to me will be counted and that will hurt.

Comment

Damien,
                    I will read your post in the thread, but frankly what you just typed sounds like the kind of stereotype that I'm against in this industry. Nobody wants to get hit. When I was a waitress I couldn't yell at the customers if they yelled at me and the same applies for being hit as a haunt actor.
                    Beth Miller

Comment

now I dont react that way with people doing it as a nervous reaction...the only time I've ever done that was with this group of bikers who came in...saw me ( i wasnt the scare so i wasnt doing anything to them or about them) and they came after me aggressively and swinging...thats the only time I've ever defended myself against a patron.

Comment

As far as getting sued, it would cost the patron so much money, and as long as your haunt follows rules and is pro, it would never hold up in court. I just smile at them and say " I will enjoy eating your innards" it shut's them up. Not to say we do it here but maybe consider building your props from fiberglass that happens to have spikes built into the design and splinters under the masks (it's the way fiberglass is). Punching a spike may teach people not to punch your hard work (or sometimes living people) also, I'd love to eventually make props out of steel frames.. punch that you jerkoff LOL It may sound extreme, but didn't we warn them not to act violent in the first place?

I know the Punched and Kicked thread this is covered, but are legally we allowed to restrain a patron if they are violent?
                        Last edited by WickedWoodsHaunt; 10-13-2008, 09:42 AM.
                        Virginia's premier outdoor haunted attraction-
                        www.wicked-woods.com

Comment

I both hate and love the drunk people that come through the haunt. I hate that it is impossible to scare them! I also hate the stupid things they do.

I am positioned in the kitchen. There is a completely gutted refrigerator in there that used to be used as a hiding place for a scare (we found out that it was waaaaay to obvious, and now use it only as a decoration). One night, I hear a group come in, and get ready to spring out at them as they pass. Two minutes later, I'm still waiting so I stick my head out (I'm in a place where I can't see the people until they pass me) and see this HUGE guy with his head in the fridge! I asked what he was doing. He stood up, slammed the door so hard that it knocked the fridge over, and yelled "I'M LOOKING FOR A BEER!"

I'm thinking "Oh crap, this guy's gonna kill me!" He walks up to me, bends down to get in my face (and I'm six feet tall, so that's saying something!) and asks "You got one?" I say "No, sorry." And he stands up and leaves. And I thought I was scary!

My favorite time that a drunk person came in was the same year. The woman was so drunk that her husband had to hold her up! Another worker had come along a couple minutes before to tell me about her, and that I might not want to scare her, but, of course, I did anyway. The minute I saw her, I leapt out and screamed. She just turned her bleary eyes on me, and said, so slurred I could barely understand her, "Hi mom." How weird is that?
                          http://hauntednightmare.homestead.com/

SOMETIMES NIGHTMARES HAPPEN WHEN YOU'RE AWAKE!!!

Comment

The ones I absolutely hate are the 'tough' guys who come up to you dragging their (obviously terrified) dates behind, prop her up in front of you and say very loudly, "SCARE HER".

Jerks...
                            http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                            http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                              The ones I absolutely hate are the 'tough' guys who come up to you dragging their (obviously terrified) dates behind, prop her up in front of you and say very loudly, "SCARE HER".

Jerks...
                              Those are as bad as the men that use their small children as human shields.
                              Katie Lane
                              Partner/VP
                              Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
                              sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

"Using small children as human shields"

Is not cost effective, figuring they are smaller than an adult, you need more of them.
                                Strap them on your back, sides, front, if they go limp and quiet either they took a bullet for you or they got bored and dozed off.
                                I once wanted to use Brooke Shields as my human shield, or maybe more like a blanket than a shield? A security blanket. To keep away the monsters.
                                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X