This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13th Hour Magazine

Does anyone know the URL of the 13th hour magazine on the internet? Google has failed me today with any information on them. I like the approach and layout and would like to learn more. I am still a huge fan of Hauntworld and other industry magazines, but I say the more print media out there about all of this fun we have the better. I was glad I got a copy at Transworld and it sounded like if they scanned your badge you may expect to see them show up in your mailbox in the near future.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by milkunits; 03-21-2008, 02:48 PM. Reason: Added the fact I did try that wonderful search engine google :)
    Mooo or Booo, what ever suits your fancy

i have been searching myself! they are very hard to find!!! let me know if you come up with it!
    Pre-Produced and Custom Haunted Attraction TV Commercials at www.elswarro.com

Comment

The magazine says they are a publication of "Imagination Publications,LLC". Their website seems to be down at the moment.
      http://imaginationpublications.com/

They do list an email address.
      13thhourmagazine@imaginationpublications.com

Hope this helps somewhat
      Jim H
      Dark Raven Designs
      http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

Thanks Jim!
        Pre-Produced and Custom Haunted Attraction TV Commercials at www.elswarro.com

Comment

Boy OH Boy did I give these guys a STERN finger shaking at! seems that I wasnt included in the magazine....... Comeon! other than that its a very nice very large magazine that would look at home on a coffee table........
          Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Impressive

The magazine looks fantastic, I agree, more of a coffee table book than magazine. I'm just not sure about the longevity, not wishing any ill will at all, in fact, best of luck. I would expect the next one to be a bit thinner though, can't imagine that there is that much of a market for it. Some advertisers had multi page spreads, never have seen that in HW or HA. We'll see what happens.

As far as content goes, there wasn't a whole lot, hopefully that will change.

I did receive the new Hauntworld right before I left for Vegas, haven't made it through it yet, but my first impression was that it looks great, and was filled with some good content.
            Chris Stafford
            1331 Entertainment Group
            Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
            13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
            13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

The reason advertisers had multi page spreads is because they were all given free ads! I don't see them as ever being able to get the $5000 a page they are asking per full page ad.
              www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
              [Google+] [YouTube]
              [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

The decline of newspapers and all print media began 20 years ago with cable TV having all those channels and continued with the rise of the internet.
                Being in that business has to be trickier than ever before.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

This magazine is amazing and I do hope they continue with the publication. On the video at Transworld I noticed in small print it said Oak Island Productions.
                  Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

WOW 5000 a AD? Can you imagine the look on the face of the salesperson trying to sell me that ADSPACE, as I am literally dieing from Laughing on my end of the PHONE.... I know that you and all of your sales staff Have heard Me laughing outloud when asked to pay for advertisement. as well as the people over at HAM, I know that as marketing goes, people say you cant afford to advertise, but most of us SMALL VENDORS cant afford to ADVERTISE . BUT hey whats it going be.... a AD in HW or feed the family the next two months!
                    Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

I stand corrected - kinda

I attended MHC over the weekend and picked up the new issue of 13th Hour. In my last post I said I thought that their next issue would be much smaller, well it wasn't, so I was wrong in my assumption, and figured I needed to say so. They also seem to have addressed the content issue - kinda. I still feel the other mags have them beat on content, but it appears as though they are listiening and moving in the right direction. I did notice a lot of new advertisers, not a lot of repeats. I still haven't gotten through the whole thing, but like the first issue, it is very impressive looking. Will it have longevity, I guess we'll see. I wish them luck, and stand corrected on my statements.

Chris
                      Chris Stafford
                      1331 Entertainment Group
                      Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
                      13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com

Comment

I would have to say about their new magazine it is not for the professional haunted house owners...there are stories about making food or something, spooky lighting, and lots of stories on vendors. I guess I'm confused as to what the magazines focus is all about.

It appears to be nothing but tons of ads from vendors, make it seem like they have all this support, put in one story after another about the vendors. That is what it seems like to me.

Rick told me and others told me around he's mailing out 7,000 magazine or has 7000 subscribers, I don't know ONE person who has had one mailed to them, as far as I know they are merely handing them out at shows these same vendors are already exhibiting at. If he has mailed out magazines like he told me he was doing then have him show someone. I personally know of no one has been mailed a magazine only has been handed out at tradeshows.

As for as content if you own a haunted house and are looking to improve your business I don't think this the magazine for that or at least from the two issues I viewed unless endless stories about vendors counts. Maybe it does.

I guess it is just what you are looking for... but I still don't know why people would trade product for an ad in a magazine that has no subscribers or not many subscribers. I guess I'm confused some people are saying they are saying to them they have 7000 subscribers, then one person says he's sending them out free, but if you look in this magazine he's charging for subscriptions. I guess I'm confused here, if they have 7000 subscribers are those paid or non-paid, and where did they come from like nearly over night? If they indeed have 7,000 subscribers or whatever people are saying, I'd sure like to know how to accomplish that in such a short period of time. I need some tips! LOL.

I don't know if you saw this in that magazine, they are asking haunts to pay them to be featured in their top 50 attractions to get PR. I would like for them to explain how your attraction will get PR, are they going to mail the magazine out to someone that will then do national stories. I don't get it. They should provide more details on how that works before I personally would EVER pay them to feature my haunt. If I read what they're asking wrong, I apologize but that is how I read what they're offering.

I will give them credit on a couple things...I liked their new product pages, that was cool.

To each their own I guess. I will say the layout is nice, nice pictures, but NO CONTENT for the professional haunted house owner in my opinion or should I say myself, not what I'm looking for. If they want to provide content to advance your business they need more insight from the industry. Maybe they will seek this I don't know.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

OK let's take a look

Larry,

I don't totally disagree with you, let me restate what I said in my last post "I still feel the other mags have them beat on content" I made this post as I mis spoke in my last post, so I didn't think that was right. Is there a lot of fluff in the magazine sure, but it appears as though this issue is moving in a better direction. Here are the articles, some pretty short, in this issue:

Guest Ghost Writer, John Hawkins – Oak Island
                          13th Hour Magazine – Just in time for an exciting new future
                          Creature Feature – The Grudge Animatronic
                          Crypt Keeper – haunt guru Leonard Pickel (we already know you're feeling on the relevance of this article)
                          Scare Safe – IAHA CHAOS
                          Tour of Terror – Netherworld
                          Haunted City Spotlight – Columbus, Ohio
                          Phobia – Spiders
                          You’re never too old to play dress up
                          Sculpting with Light
                          Gadgets – The right light to scare
                          Totally Twisted – Dee Snider
                          Behind the Scenes – Van Helsing’s Curse
                          It’s in their eyes
                          Time Flies when you’re having fun – Que Lines
                          Dark Secrets – The Bottomless Pit How To
                          Hollywood’s Influence on the Industry – The Mummy
                          Scary Recipes – Erupting Volcano
                          New Ventures – Grossparts
                          Fear Feature – Haunted Legends Art & Film Museum

So, my opinion, excluding the Scary Recipe article, everything else was relevant to the haunt industry. Do I think the articles were chock full of substance, no, hopefully this will get better.

I signed up for a "subscription" at Transworld and haven't received this new issue yet in the mail, will I, I don't know. So you're absolutely right, it's a tough sell to advertisers at this point where you pick up a magazine with ads for products you're they're seeing in person.

I assume you're addressing everyone when you say "if you like just reading about nothing" or "unless you want a recipe for cup cakes" I personally would like more in depth articles and substance, but all in all, it's entertaining so take it for what it is. I personally think Hauntworld is a better magazine at this point.

If 13th Hour fails, well, at least everyone got a couple attractive coffee table books.

Chris
                          Last edited by stafford; 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM. Reason: formatting
                          Chris Stafford
                          1331 Entertainment Group

Comment

I have been watching this whole 13 hr thing for a while. At first I thought it was bs just from the avert. price'in. Anyways, I dont understand the how or why its a businness mag. as, as said it all vendors and peeps in the industry.
                            Yes I ramble.....but who would spen that kinda bucks to advertise in a mag. that is offered to just people in the industry? Makes zero sense to me. I will say as I havnt seen it in person....I get to see it finally this weekend i cant wait......sounds like a suck dry kinda antict to myself.(meaning they sucking you out of your dollors)

As far as CupCakes? are they halloween cupcakes?....lol
                            Yes, im trying to get Home haunter news and reviews going, but, I wont knock anything anyone does, but this just sounds crazy to me. I love the food idea and ever idea based on halloween for our stuff), yes different, not haunted house stuff.

I have to agree, I have researched a lot and such and compared it to our e'zine for the numbers and then took into considertaion the print aspect(yes we are going soon), and the circulation they claim......................... not knowing anything on them I going on hearsay but...........

any Vendor or advertiser.....check ur options where u put ur money....as said maybe Hauntworld mag. or one of the others.

-sorry for the ramble

Comment

OK, ok. I've been reading this forum for a long time and always enjoyed the topics but never felt compelled to post, as you can see from my post count. But I just have to break my anonymity on this one. Please forgive me if this is long winded.

As for 13th Hour, I had a hell of a time with them. They called me about two weeks before MHC. They gave me the sales pitch and wanted to know if I wanted to advertise. It sounded like a good mag (mind you, I didn't know the cost at this time) but I wanted to see for myself. So they sent me a pdf of some of the articles, which seemed decent. So they called me back and I said I may be interested. How much?
                              $5000.
                              You could hear a pin drop just before you heard my jaw dropping to the floor.
                              I asked if they had smaller ad space. Nope, full page or nothing. So I kindly told them I declined, explaining to them that my advertising budget was already spent for the year. They wouldn't take no for an answer.
                              "What's your budget?" he said.
                              I was pretty taken aback by this. It really isn't anyone's business but my own how much anything is concerning my business.
                              "Not five grand." I said.
                              "Well, maybe we can offer it in trade. $5000 worth of your merchandise for an ad."
                              "No, I'm sorry." silly me, trying to be polite. Whether its 5K in cash or merchandise, it's still 5K.

Needless to say, over the course of about five days, he called me 4 or 5 times, and kept me on the line for a total of 4 hours trying to get me to buy in. Not only did he take me away from actual work, he just wouldn't take no for an answer. I should have hung up on him long before, but I'm guilty of being too nice and polite, and worried if I was inappropriate it would be a bad reflection of my business if word ever got out into the industry. Eventually, my patience came to an end and threw all inhibitions aside and told them to leave us alone and not call again. That seemed to work.

During one of his many sales pitch onslaughts, I learned a few things. A) He claims a 7000 subscriber circulation, with a target of 10,000 for '09. B) It is a business to business mag and though non business subscribers are not rejected, neither are they sought after to sign up. Which may explain why people have such a difficult time trying to find it on-line. C) 13th Hour is part of a publishing house, meaning this is just one of many different magazines they have. I'm not citing this as a fault, but while HW and HA focus on Halloween and have a viable interest in it, to me, it seems this is just another market for them (the publishing house) to tap into.

Now, with that all being said, I have to say I was a bit disheartened to learn my booth would be smack dab right across from them. I guess as punishment for not advertising with them, I was forced to listen to their infomercial loop endlessly all day Sat. and Sunday. I think I can recite it in my sleep now. Maybe that was their plan all along.

One last thing, we did manage to get a copy and look it over. Here's my thoughts, though they may be bias due to my experience with them: A lot of pictures, which is OK, but I prefer content. Content was ok, but needs improving. I see a lot of pages that have a big photo and a small paragraph below as some of their content. I'm a reader, and I like full pages of text to read. To have to read small paragraphs found around large pics is irritating to me. And they're a little to heavy on the self promotion, IMHO. And if you look at the staff page, look close to the numbers. One journalist, something like 9 salesmen and like 8 or 10 marketers (going on memory, so the numbers may be a bit off). To me, it just seems their motive isn't for all things orange and black, but rather the mighty greenback. But hey, what do I know?

Well, there's my rant. I apologize for making my debut post a negative one. Anyone on here who knows me knows I'm not really a bitter person, I'm really easy going, but this experience with 13th Hour really gotten under my skin. Thanks for listening.
                              Last edited by MonsterGuts; 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM.
                              monsterguts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X