This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a good idea

Man, I try to correct myself, and end up having to do it again right away.

Larry started out the statements that there may be some "funny business" going on and Monsterguts confirmed it.

I was under the impression that nobody was probably paying for any advertising, yet. Being a new publication that they were trying to gain support for, not necessarily a horrible idea. But if they're going around trying to see what they can get, and essentially taking whatever that may be, probably not a great idea in the long run, and not something I would condone.

As the vendors find out thesed different "stories" probably not gonna work well for them.

I stand by my statement that "content wise" they seem to be moving in the right direction. Other things they may be doing, may lead to some big problems.
    Chris Stafford
    1331 Entertainment Group
    Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
    13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
    13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

I have the exact same story as Monster guts, but then they did it in person at MHC. They came by my booth about a dozen times. By the end of the show they were trying to get me and my business partner to make a descision on the spot about giving them product for ad space. I do not like be pressured, so the answer is no. The answer was no anyways. He wanted a ridiculous amount of product for a couple two page ads. I would rather advertise in Hauntworld, which i finally plan on doing, a magazine that actually goes to haunt owners. Everytime I asked the 13th hour people about how many haunt owners there magainze reaches it was the same thing "We print up 8,000 copies and mail them to every haunt owner in america". Really? How come none of my customers have received them? All I can say is scam.
      Brian Warner
      Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
      Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
      Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

My experience wasn't as bad as Dean's and Brian's.
        We did have several conversations a couple of months ago.
        The gentleman that I spoke with was polite.
        Thanks, Jeff
        www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
        www.HauntForum.com
        www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

I think they do have a haunt, trying to remember.....?
          Thanks, Jeff
          www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
          www.HauntForum.com

Comment

He set up something in his basement for a party and now wants to open a haunt in town somewhere something like 4,000 square feet. This is why he wants products from the vendors for ads in his magazine. Keep in mind I don't know all the facts, I only know what he told me (Rick) or others have told me. But I think that is the case.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Yep, now I remember.
              I believe you are right Larry.
              Thanks, Jeff
              www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
              www.HauntForum.com

Comment

At HauntCon, only had about 20 minutes free to see who was on the show floor. I came around the corner and was barraged with this high pressure sales type offer to advertise or at least ive them all my information and they would send a copy to my house for free.

Some how I treated him like a telemarketer and declined telling him who I was, what I do or where I live. For all he knew I was there to inspect the bathrooms on that Sunday or just making sure the brass plated handles were still attatched to the hotel.

I came away from him and one other older dude trying to sell a magical propane cannon that was going to solve any problem I ever had in the world thinking how they were pleading and jumping up and down like some starving 3rd world throng that the militia had just stopped their free food shipment days ago instead of a proffesional sales floor.
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I can vouch for that, MonsterGuts!

Dean, You're one of the nicest and easiest men in the industry to talk to, and you DO respect the pitch of a hard-working salesman (like me), even when your time could be busy filling orders. Thank you!!! It's men like you (and many others) who give this HAUNT INDUSTRY a good name. I would love to see more of your posts from time to time.

Happy Haunting!
                  ---Patti
                  Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                  www.HauntWorld.com
                  www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                  www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                  It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Ain't that the truth Patti.
                    I almost slipped Dean the tongue!
                    Thanks, Jeff
                    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
                    www.HauntForum.com

Comment

You vendors might want to read this...

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0056008.htm
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

Im typing this on a whim...putting my thoughts down.
                        Is it 5K per issue..or 5K a year? Either way, thats a lot.
                        Now I got an issue today of this mag(thank you, my friend)...at a quick glance I went wow! This is nice!
                        Next glance....I understand what a lot are speaking about(price for advertisng (no comment)....First glance, yes even pretty and nice and clean I went "wow"( tons of Vendors/compaines/add's). Regardless if they paid or not to be in it....way too many adds for a magazine for the content. The pages with vendors/companies look great! But.........yes I have a huge butt i know that....lol...What I dont understand is this:
                        If a biz to biz mag. or a trade mag. how and where does the 8K(thousand) subscribers come from...call me a dummy.
                        Next glance.......I thumbed through it again.....I read the awesome laid out pages...to notice...Oh, another add...(a haunted house, oh that company or that one).
                        This is just my opinion the following remarks........
                        1. high priced
                        2. too many adds versus content
                        3. Very nice to hold and look through
                        4. To much controversery(sp) on advertisng price...Spoke with a few myself
                        5.my wifes calling me for dinner...

anyways, all im saying....I like the Book, it looks really nice and pretty, I would buy it(maybe depending on price)...wait its a biz to biz type mag kind of like a trade magazine I quess(my quess). If that I canot justify the cost to myself.
                        I contacted them weeks ago saying I heard of it and wanted to know price to subscribe to it...two emails later...nada.

My final review....someone is forking out huge bucks(best not be u vendors)...trying to get this "haunt vendor book" of the ground.

Sorry for my ramble.....I was on phone when posting.
                        But if at 5K per year, good luck and well.........even at 2k.........

put ur money else where.

yes, I admit, no offisive to 13th hr, nice book, but....theres so many better ways and cheaper to adviter....sorry im still stuck on the amount of subscribers and issues mailed out.

post more of my scarted brains thought later.

Comment

Larry, this whole thing did seem to me like those phony phone books, the kind where they send you an invoice that looks like the real Yellow Pages bill you are expecting - just a little sooner so you will pay it before you get the real bill and realize you have been duped. Similar sales methods, it sounds like.

Comment

Rick Singleton ADI Court Appeal/aka 13 hour Mag

If you have time to read this court appeal (link below). You will see he uses the same tatics with the haunt vendors. Here you will read a judgement against him for over 230,000.00 that he is trying to appeal from a 1 hour photo advertisement where the owner told Rick not to run the ad and he ran it anyway and tried to charge him. Plus you will read a private discussion between them when Rick sent his sales person out of the office so they could talk......Read on.......

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/...9080501jsk.pdf
                            Last edited by xtremecreator; 06-20-2008, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I have no doubt that they have read everything.

Keep in mind all we are saying or our opinions, they might not agree with them but they might not like to comment on them either. They might read these forums, take our opinions to heart, and improve or change their policy. Who knows what they are thinking or doing.

But I do not agree with their policy. Maybe I'm just different than most, I don't take someones word of 7000 subscribers, or all that other stuff, I am from Missouri, we're the show me state, so SHOW ME! Also I would not sign any contract with anyone for advertisement for any magazine not just 13th Hour without first getting proof of all media claims. When I deal with radio stations they provide this information to me, hence this publication or any other should be able to provide the same. If they can back up their claims more power to them.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Originally posted by Patti Ludwinski View Post
                                I can vouch for that, MonsterGuts!

Dean, You're one of the nicest and easiest men in the industry to talk to, and you DO respect the pitch of a hard-working salesman (like me), even when your time could be busy filling orders. Thank you!!! It's men like you (and many others) who give this HAUNT INDUSTRY a good name. I would love to see more of your posts from time to time.

Happy Haunting!
                                ---Patti
                                Awe, shucks. Thanks Patti. You're making me blush.

I can respect anybody who is just doing their job. Heck, many of us here are in sales in one capacity or another. I sell Halloween stuff, haunt owners sell tickets to their attractions, advertisers sell ads and haunt actors sell their character each time patrons walk near them.

But we don't come on too strong and we all know when no means no. 13th Hour is just way to pushy IMHO. I have felt less pressure from used car salesmen.

And Gadget, we avoided contact with them at MHC by discarding the nice guy persona and sending them an email just prior to the show telling them "don't approach us, talk to us or look at us at MHC. We want nothing to do with you". A bit on the jerk side, yes, but at least we didn't have to endure another sales pitch while at MHC. If they blacklist us from ever advertising in their mag, well, I'll worry about that when I have 5K extra that I have burning a hole in my pocket.

As for posting more on here, well, I always felt out of my league here. When you have the likes of big hitters like BodyBagging and Gore Galore regularly posting, a 'lil ole store owner like me can feel a bit intimidated. And I usually only post when I feel I have something relevant to add to a topic, which usually I have nothing relevant to add to anything. But I'll try to post more.
                                monsterguts.com

Comment

Working...
                                X