This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???

I have not had any "unpleasant" dealings with these guys?? The new issue looked great...different styles are for different audiences. They have nothing bad to say about our industry and they run a large haunt? Doesn't that make them one of us?Give 'em a break. I know personally that running a magazine is "hard, hard, hard"...oh and did I mention "HARD" work.
    Nobody can please all the people all the time..it's impossible!! ( especially this guy named Roger I know..but that's a different story ) But they have the right to charge people for ads...why be shocked that it's not for free?? Would we let everyone in our haunts for free?? Do we not give group discounts?? If you own something..a mag, a haunt, a website....you have the right to try and make a living....why do we charge some sponsors more than others??? It's all situational. Just my 2 (ok maybe 3) cents.
    Visit us at www.boneyardproductions.com

Comment

professornightmare

You are right. We agree! However, they are telling us 5000.00 per page when we can find only 1 person who paid 500.00 for the full page. Also, most people only traded props some only worth 2 to 3 hundred dollars or free for full pages and others traded thousand dollar props for a full page.

There is also the main issue of distribution of the magaine. They claim 7 to 10 thousand mailings. Is that possible?

From what I hear they only hand them out at shows which falls way short of even the 7000. Anybody ever get a copy in the mail?????

Comment

Well John you just happen to be one of the people he gave like a zillion pages to for I know probably wasn't $5000.00 a page. I don't know what your deal was but I doubt you paid for them that kind of money. The question is or isn't whether or not producing a magazine is hard work, the question is is the guy telling the truth, or is he making false claims to get people to advertise, or is it ethical to give one guy five pages of his magazine for nothing, and try to convince the next guy to give him $5,000.00 in product.

I don't think you get it... the way it appears to me is HE IS USING YOUR NAME and the ILLUSION that you bought five pages to sell the next guy into buying ads.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I've never received one of his magazines in the mail, and I get everything!...LOL. My mailbox is full of industry style magazines from Amusement Mags to Bowling Industry Mag to FEC mags. Additionally, I haven't heard of any professional haunt owner who's received one.
          Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
          www.HauntWorld.com
          www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
          www.FindHauntedHouses.com
          It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

No that's not it!

No Larry,

We both know right from wrong. We have both been around and surfed the crazy waves of this ever-changing industry for many years. I personally have no trouble paying or trading for an ad in a publication. When I printed Fright Times, I would give the writer's who contributed a complimentary ad. This was my way of keeping the "cream of the crop" writers on board.
            I belong to a "barter" program here in New England and I trade tickets for lodging, limos for celebrities, and many times even media. I think advertising in a publication is a personal choice and each deal is between the advertiser and owner.
            With the "Freak Energy" sponsorship this year at the haunted house, they gave us product (and a very good one) for media exposure. I had other sponsors that were cash..it varies between each deal.
            What I am saying is that they are a "new" publication and as they grow they will learn more about us and I'm sure they will continue to adapt and improve with this always-changing industry. There is room for everyone, especially since we all cover different aspects of the industry. All the mags just keep getting better..I love 'em all!!

Comment

Larry

Wow Larry, I never thought of that part of it. I was to busy thinking about my situation. You are right! Great Point!

Thank You!

Comment

Another thing I was told by venders is he is telling everyone that he purchased my item when infact he did not. I told them that maybe they misunderstood him and they said absolutely not. He mentioned purchasing my item several times to them as a selling tatic. When it was a flat out lie.

Comment

huh?

This is ridiculous...my deal is my business. Nobody should put words in my mouth except me. There was this thing called the Salem Witch Trials too...burn 'em..ring a bell? Come on. All I am saying is that there are many voices in the industry. Netherworld had a wonderful layout in the magazine..Ben is my friend and yours..was he wrong to be featured? He has my respect as well as other people in the trenches. I have been around forever but not one single magazine has featured myself of my haunts..coincidence? No!!! It's all about the "in" crowd. Let's be real...you sell a sponsorship to "Joe's Pizza" and you quote them one price. You sell one to "ATT"...would you ask for more? We all know the answer. When you go buy advertising for your haunt..I hire a media buyer because he can get better deals than I. Five different clients will have 5 different deals..it's just business. If I took Dave Bertolino to assist me in buying a car...the dealer would end up oweing "me" money..it's all in negotiation..It's called America...let's move on to something productive!

Comment

John,

You are actually correct, everyone can make their own deals. If you got a bunch of free ads and the next guy paid for them you're right 110% that is up to each person to make a deal they feel good about.

If someone wants to pay $5000.00 and the next guy can figure a way out to get it down to a few hundred good for him.

I do agree with you...however I personally just don't think it is the right way to do it in the long run.

But again I'll just agree you are 110% correct. So based on that I agree we should move onto other subjects.

Also I see your haunts have never been covered by any publication...hmmm. That isn't true Fright Times covered them!!! Wasn't that an industry publication? I think so! Hehehe.

Hey I have no objections to covering Spookyworld, in fact I tried to cover the thing back with Berto had it and he wouldn't get me the photos and stuff I needed. I would love to do the HISTORY of Spookyworld! That attraction was an inspiration to me and many others!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com

Comment

Working...
                    X