No announcement yet.

haunted house injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a side note....if someone is doing a hayride and they don't check the whells everynight to make sure they have more than 1 LUGNUT....maybe just maybe they should hire a person to keep track of that stuff.

They are liable for the people on the wagon....they not only could have hurt the customers...but could have killed them.
    Actually, in the case of the haunted hayride I referred to, the owner of the event DID hire a person to keep track of that stuff. Each and every tractor driver was paid to do a job and one of those jobs was to inspect the equipment that was assigned to them.

Not only did both the owner of the event and the tractor driver in question have loose or missing lug nuts, they also had a screw loose (if you get my meaning) for being so irresonsible!
    The Haunter's Depot
    www.HauntersDepot.com

The Haunter's Depot -- You Can Scare Them! We Can Help! (A division of Haunted Ventures FX.) We are your premier source for Halloween merchandise. Thousands of products available including costumes, masks, static and animated props, changing portraits, makeup supplies, special visual and audio effect equipment, glow necklaces, lightsticks, and MUCH more!

Comment

The haunt I used to work at had a maze where one of the dead ends was a plexiglass wall with an actual path behind it. One night someone was scared so bad they ran fullspeed down the hall and...lets just say we had to redo the frame we attatched the plexiglass to...and the person was a little winded. I had to run to another part of the haunt for a second so he couldn't hear me laughing, but he was ok.

A brilliant idea the farmer had was on the hayride, the pin that locks the trailer to the tractor was on a string, so at a certain point in a field where the ground was level, he would pull the pin and start driving away. People would scream "HEY! HEEYYY YOU LEFT US WAIT IT CAME OFF WAAIITT" and at this point horses would circle the wagon giving you that feeling of being helpless. Brilliant.

but one night this went wrong...the field is in a valley, and the start of the path is on a downward slope. On night on the way down, the pin slipped out. I could screw with everyone and make up a horrible ending but luckily the wagon just rolled into the back of the tractor with a heavy thud, and they quickly replaced the pin and tossed the entire removablepin idea. A very close call considdering there was a river at the bottom of the hill. I don't know how there wasn't a huge disaster with this haunt...
      - - Luke - -

Comment

You needed a wagon with automatic brakes on it. When the tongue disconnects the brake turns on.
        A local farmer bought such a wagon from a dealer 35 miles away(where the land is very flat) a wagon load of hay went busting through the woods on it's non-braked speedy way because the "Flat-Lander" has disconnected the wagons auto-tongue brakes.
        This is called "Mount" Carroll for a reason.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

an eight year old kid got his ankle all twisted up when his father stomped all over him running from our saw this year , a rookie fell on the stilts last year and broke his arm , but my fav would have to be a saw room completely filled with smoke and a customer gets smacked in the face by one of the actors chainsaws , nobody saw that one coming
          when god created light the first shadow was born

Comment

Considering someone that got hit in the face at your haunt your "fav" makes me consider you a disgrace to our industry. Our duty is to provide a safe atmosphere for all who attend. Being excited that someone got hurt does nothing more than make you and potentially the whole haunt industry look unprofessional.

Comment

Look at a crowd of people waiting to enter your haunt.
              How many of them look like they jog every day?
              How many of them are already limping?
              How many are definately overweight and won't be moving quickly for any reason?
              Ever play contact sports? What happens when a large person runs over or falls on to a much smaller person? It isn't usually "pretty".
              People get older they are not a physically agile and strong as they once were.
              "No Running!" (When people run, they fall down)
              "No running or we will put a saddle on you and rent you out for rides to people with whips."
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

nocshroud said" rookie fell on the stilts last year and broke his arm "

As a stilt walker, I am amazed that you would have a rookie on stilts.
                http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ryptreaper.jpg

Comment

We don't have stilts here but didn't I once read that the normal procedure with stilts in a haunted venue is to have another person not on stilts next to the stilted one to protect him from stilt grabbing, stilt shaking idiot customers?
                  Sounds good to me.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Shumansky
                    Considering someone that got hit in the face at your haunt your "fav" makes me consider you a disgrace to our industry. Our duty is to provide a safe atmosphere for all who attend. Being excited that someone got hurt does nothing more than make you and potentially the whole haunt industry look unprofessional.
                    I tend to agree with Todd on this. I'm not sure why it's so funny to many when someone runs smack into a wall or post. And I don't just mean to those on this forum. My crew laughs at this also and quite frankly it's not in the least bit funny to me. That's pain your customer is experiencing and we all know very well what pain feels like. When they purchased their ticket, pain was not part of the price. I shrieked when one of the crew told me a mother because so scared that she accidently smacked her kid against a wall and drugged him across the wooden crosses and branches attached there to get away from a monster. A friend of mine went through my haunt one night and told me the next day that her and her friends were bruised on both sides from banging into walls trying to get away.

I'm very, very thankful that we have not had any injuries due to negligence on our part. I work very hard to make sure all is safe. Customers finding ways to injure themselves is just a necessary evil, but I'm not quite sure why so many of us find it funny.

Can someone explain this to me?

Comment

Unfortunately alot of humor is defined this way.
                      If someone else gets hurt, it's funny , If we get hurt , it's a tragedy!
                      If you want a cheap laugh from an audience tell them how stupid YOU are and most will laugh. Same sort of psychology involved, I think?
                      Some portion of my brain feels very good about itself when I invent some extremely silly, non-sensical thing that makes no one the butt of the joke, yet is still something that most people can't stop laughing at.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                      X