Emergency lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency lighting

I was at my favorite store today (Lowes) and was looking at the emergency lighting. They had two types, one that plugs into a outlet and the other is hard wired, both are the same other then how they are hooked up. Can the plug in model be used or must the emergency lighting be hard wired? Also all the emergency lighting I have seen has a white outer caseing, can these be srayed black so they don't stand out so much or must they remain white? Thanks for any info up front.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

You should be fine with either as long as the lights come on when the power is lost.
    The casing coloring shouldn't make a difference.
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
    www.HauntForum.com
    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

You should speak to your electrical and fire inspectors before making the purchase. If you are in a temporary location you will probably be allowed to use the plug in style. If you are in a permanent location, they will want you to use the hard wire style.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
      Deadly Intentions Haunted House
      www.deadlyintentionshaunt.com
      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

E-Lights!!

We are a temporary structure and ours have to be hard wired in according to our electrical inspector. I have not painted them but i'm sure it would not matter what color they are. I do put little piece of gaff tape over the test light if it is in a dark hall or room and never have been told not to. Peace.
        Scott Murphy- Owner/Operator www.theshadowsedge.com KICKING & SCREAMING!!!

Comment

Make Sure

Just make sure that they stay on if the power goes out. Also the covers should pop off. We painted ours black and even lightly sprayed the red to keep it from being so bright. But just go lightly on the red. Spray it to dark and you won't be able to see the exit word.
          sigpic

Comment

emergency lighting

our haunt is required to have hardwire exit signs, 2 signs per exit, one 8" off the floor and one over the door.
            Actors tend to un plug corded exit signs because they give away their scare so that's one good reason to hardwire. If your a tented haunt then your inspector may allow corded.
            The cheapest place that I have found for exit lights is www.4exits.com, they have black sign that are LED, Exit/Flood combo for around $52 each, I bought some white mini LED Exit combos for $36 each, Home Depot has spray paint cans for plastic if you want to spray them black yourself.
            they also have non electric, self powered exit signs that last 10 years.
            Phil Miller Frightland, DE
            frightland.com

Comment

With the exit sign 8 inches off the floor I could see some people turning around in the dark or smoke because they know they couldn't bend down low enough to escape through an 8 inch doorway.
              "This is channel 8 news , and it seems that the parking lot is filled with a great number of extremely small, short people who managed to escape the building on time."
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

8'' off the floor, that sucks! Jims right, I would think it would get a little confusing. Now another question, the power may have to come from a generator, so when the power is off for the night the E lights will come on and drain down. I want to put in a toggle switch so as to disconnect the battery so it will not drain down. I don't want to have to remove the covers and do it. ( I'm lazy like that.lol.) Would this be a no,no. or would it be allowed? Thanks up front.
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

when half this town would lose power my emergency lights come on, I used to panic after 15 minutes that I was ruining all of those batteries but the last ime I thought I would allow them to all stay on until they died and then see if they all recharged after the power came back. They did!
                  Maybe I was worrying about little or nothing all this time?
                  Moving a ladder around my place and yanking a wire off a battery After you pop the cover off is not a fun hobby I looked forward to doing about once every month or so.
                  Maybe someone reading this knows more about those batteries and keeping them ready and healthy than I do and would like to enlighten us?
                  A few Octobers ago when big sparks were shooting off the side of a local tavern, power was shut down for several hours while it got fixed and tours proceeded here because with all the emergency lights on I was the brightest, most lit up business in downtown Mount Carroll!
                  (Some other businesse's emergency lighting was very pathetic)
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Any one SHOULD work.
                    INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

It will drain down but when you start up your generator again it should power them back up.

Darkangel

Comment

i was told by my fire marshall u had to have low level emergency lighting as well as hardwired exit signs ,maybe thats why he has exit signs 8" off the floor.
                        SYTHLOR
                        Doug Crawford owner
                        Rockville Fear Factory Llc
                        Vernon Ct, 06084

Comment

Working...
                        X