Simple Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Question?

So I seem not to be so lucky with the whole DARE program idea. Maybe I am taking the wrong approach contacting these people.

So I am posting this thread asking for ideas so that I can do this right. I have another good group in minde.

I am not sure if I am saying the right or wrong things, so I'm surpirsed thatthere has been no reply from any of them. Maybe I am saying to much or not enough?

If any of you was going to contact a group (non-profit) what would you say and or do to peak their interest?

Mr. Haunt

Cold calls are always the hardest. Non-profits are like every other business in that the "who ya know" factor comes heavily in to play.

Your concept is a good one. Linking up with a respected non-profit is a great way to give your haunt credibility... especially when working with local officials and such.

I would suggest that you rack your brain and think of anyone you know that is connected in some way with a non-profit and can help you get your foot in the door with them.

Most non-profits are always on the lookout for new funding opportunites. However, being publiclly supported organizations they are typically extremely guarded with their image and reputation. One bad experience, and suddenly their funding can dry up.

What I'm trying to say is that in a "cold call" situation, they may be leary about working with someone they don't know, especially if you don't have a proven track record ( I don't know if you do or not... just saying)

But if you can make a connection through someone that you know, that's a great way to at least get a meeting with someone.

Blast into the meeting and dazzle them with your business and marketing plan and you could have a good chance at landing yourself a partner!

No kidding though... when you get to that meeting... make sure you have your %^&* together. In order for them to take you seriously, you have to look as if you have it all together. They've got their reputation (and funding) at stake.

So sounds like your on the right track, looking forward to hearing how it all works out!

Mike
    Michael Inks
    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
    www.geistentertainment.com
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

Mr Haunt....

Keep calling different organizations. Eventually someone will say yes. When we started the Trail of Terror in CT I called a bunch of charity organizations and most of the time they asked, "who, what, where, why and we'll get back to you". Of course they never did. I could not believe that I couldn't even give money away. Eventually we got a positive response from the Red Cross and the rest is history. After giving the Red Cross over $100,000 in each of the last 2 seasons they are all calling now. My answer now is "who, what, where, when, why and I'll get back to you".

Don't give up. You'll be doing a great thing.

Good luck and show them this post if needed.

Wayne
      www.trailofterror.com

Comment

Wayne

Wayne,

The Red Cross is someone that I sent an email to. Maybe i could try again.

The Red Cross to a big blow here in Minnesota this last summer:

The flooding, fires, tornados, and the big one of all the 35W bridge going down.

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Mr Haunt,
          You are simply emailing these organizations and not calling?
          That could be a major problem.

First it is very easy to ignore emails, even ones that we have every intention of responding to.

Second, and I am trying to say this in a nice way, but based on your posts on HauntWorld, try to get someone else to compose your emails to the organizations.

Nothing is easier to skip over than a grammatically incorrect, phonetically spelled and unsolicited email.

Take the more direct approach and call them.
          http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

I have to second Karl on that one.

Calling or, better yet, making an appointment to visit with the person in charge personally, is always better. Ultimately you are selling yourself, and they will often decide on a project based solely on the merits of the person. It's YOU they will have to deal with and, frankly, it's YOU they will be trusting, especially if you need their help or resources in any way.

I have found, in similar circumstances, a friendly call with a confident pitch always works best. Be prepared to show how it benefits THEM. I think sometimes haunters work with charities not so much because they want to help, but deep inside they might think the charity is "desperate" and would be more than happy to provide free labor and supplies to help the haunter live their own selfish dreams of making a haunt. I'm not saying YOU are this way, but it's important that the organization knows that you have THEIR best interests in mind and you are the kind of person they would want to work with.

My $0.02. Good luck!
            DARK HOLLOW HAUNTED FOREST
            www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

I'd like to add

that I agree you need to talk to them in person. One of the things you have to figure out, and a question you need to be prepared to answer, is: what will they have to do for the money? Many organizations are as short-handed as they are underfunded. Expecting some upfront money from them and 20 volunteers the whole week before Halloween would be anough to kill the deal with almost any organization. If you will be putting up the money for expenses and finding volunteers or employees, they might be wondering why you would do all that just to help them, so be prepared for that as well.

Comment

I ALWAYS try and meet face to face. It way too easy to just blow it off based only on an email or even a printed proposal. Having a written proposal and handing it ot a person face to face is always best. My radio sponsor states that "no one explains your event with more passion than you do!" And I'm sure that goes for everyone here too. Enthusiasim is had to put on paper. Also I have had people look at the written word and totally miscomprehend the entire concept...

Example, just after 9-11 an exec at KFC almost put the babash on our sponsorship because he looked at the posters that had "The Asylum of Terror" and told his assistant."We CAN'T sponsor this! How can we sponsor something that says it's the Islam of Terrorism!" The assistant had to correct the misunderstanding and we hung the posters. We could have lost a big sponsorship because someone couldn't even READ!!!
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Good points everyone, this will help a bunch.

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Oh one other thing, I am more artistic then a writer. So for that I don't meen to be a bad speller and a grammer king!

Mr. Haunt LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X