Make up artist pay scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make up artist pay scale

I was told that there was a thread a while back about this, but I didn't know how far back. I was curious to know what everyone pays for their make up artists? For those that only apply make up before you open your shows, what type of pay scale is usually expected?

Thank you,
    Darkangel

Usually it depends on the artist. We pay our artist about 20.00 a night. Is this what you wanted to know?
    INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

For 20 dollars a night, you couldnt get me to stop laughing long enough to put makeup on anyone.....
      Now for the record allow me to throw this out there.... FX MAKEUP can make or break a show, Ive said it before, for any shows that do not pay their artists what they are worth.................. PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

It seems pay would depend on the quailty of work and length of time that the artist works. For example, a beginner artist who just throws a little latex on the people and maybe some basic grease makeup and blood and is there for 1-2 hours before the haunt opens should not expect to be paid much. However, If you get a top notch artist who is busting thier butt for 3-4 hours before the doors opens and is doing some top of the line work like Geoff Beck or Jason from Bodybagging, should get paid well. If the artist is also acting at night, they should be paid for their acting AND for the makeup jobs imho....
        www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Hey whos this Jason guy at Bodybagging? LOL

The Last paid gig I got as a FX artist, I made 5000 for the season, during my time there I not only did the FX, I also trained the Actors to do their own FX, before the end of the season, I wasnt really needed.
          Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

We aren't a huge haunt we don't need to charge them to much. They do a great job. It usually only takes them 45 minutes to do all the actors. I was just saying how much I paid mine.
            INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

Shredman, wasnt anything personal towards you, but I think that FX artists are the most underpaid, overworked, unappreciated, members, of the Haunt community.

Comment

Rob

I agree, 20 is way to low, I think the going rate for a makeup artist at a highend haunt would be a minimum of 150.

Comment

I say Hell yeah!!!

Rob - I wholeheartedly agree!! I myself have NEVER been paid what I'm worth, ever. It sucks. And I'm a pretty good makeup artist, if I don't say so myself! I would pass out to make $5000 per season. I was the cast manager, bookkeeper, actor and head make up artist and made a hell of a lot less than that... I was hosed! LOL
                  Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Wow, thanks guys that really brought out several different thoughts and opinions. Our person we're considering is someone who enjoys applying make up, does a decent job, but by no means a professional. I think these days there are some people who know a few simple techniques and try to pass themselves off as fx artists expecting fx artist rates, at least this is what I have been told. A true artist deserves more, but the vast majority of haunts can not afford what they are worth I would think....

So, do you normally set up your payment on a nightly or weekly time table, or a flat sum for the season's work?

Thanks everyone,
                    Darkangel

PS: Jason(Bodybagging) I would love to see some samples of your work. Is there a site for me to see? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

PS: Jason(Bodybagging) I would love to see some samples of your work. Is there a site for me to see? Thanks!
                      Check it out, Well worth it - 2008 Xtreme Haunt FX DVD by BodyBag Entertainment

Check there website out and click on sales then misc http://www.bodybagging.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        I was told that there was a thread a while back about this, but I didn't know how far back. I was curious to know what everyone pays for their make up artists? For those that only apply make up before you open your shows, what type of pay scale is usually expected?

Thank you,
                        Darkangel
                        Ultimately, it comes down to what it's worth to you as a haunt owner. What do you want your guests to see as they walk through your attraction? You could pay the kid next door to paint faces or hire a professional. If you hire a professional you need to look at his portfolio and have him/her show you in advance with a demo or two. I've seen too many people try to pass themselves off as "make up artists" after making a black eye and a burn on their arm. What are they able to bring to your attraction, just make up? Original props or masks? Fresh ideas and character designs for your scenes? A professional make up artist will, more than likely, know that a haunt isnt going to pony up what he or she may be worth but if income/work is what's needed at the time, they may just strike a deal.
                        You can only offer what you can offer but if you can't offer what the artist is worth, at least appreciate the work that they do. Consider yourself fortunate if you're able to even find an artist. Trust me, the wrong thing to say to your make up artist is that they are a dime a dozen :roll:
                        It would be interesting to see what some of these haunted attraction owners actually pay their artists.
                        Last edited by SpookywoodsFX.com; 04-05-2008, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I agree, I guess if the make up artist can prove he/she is really good it would be worth paying a little more. If they are just starting out, it would seem to be a good opportunity for them to build up some work for their portfolio I would think...
                          I would love to hear some more numbers from haunters....

Darkangel

Comment

Darkangel be sure to check references and portfolios, and then actual makeup work, I cannot tell you how many times I have seen portfolios doctored up... got to love Photoshop! and then also those guys that just straight up steal pictures of others work. When looking for a a artist find someone that is willing to teach your crew as well.........

Comment

Hey there darkangel, i know you posted this as a question but as a make up artist it would be a slap in my face to here a price that doesnt fit the talent .A make up artist is like a good doctor it takes many many years to perfect your craft, alot of schooling whether its though a institution or teaching yourself, It takes hundreds of hours to be a good makeup artist and hundreds more to be great!!! All i can say is you get what you pay for, if you land a good makeup artist for a very very good rate than you are very lucky.

Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
                              SCREAMLINE STUDIOS
                              Last edited by screamline studios; 04-06-2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X