Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Did you hear about that tent just outside of town?"
    "Why, what's going on there?"
    "The tent is just covering the graves they discovered so the forensics people can collect evidence, there were lot of bodies there I guess?"

"There, see all the lights over there , that must be the place, do you think we can get in to see it?"
    "Somebody has leased the ground and we have to pay a fee , the bodies were all removed a day or two ago."
    "Great! This should be something else."

"You better not try to walk too fast the lighting leaves a bit to be desired doesn't it?"
    "Look at all the holes! Was there a body in every one of them?"
    "Yes, I guess so."
    "Were they men, women, kids?"
    "They were teenagers I guess, runaways who ended up trusting the wrong guy.."
    "Oops, careful."

"Some of these graves don't look very deep."
    "They are as deep as they have to be.'
    "Have to be?"
    "To free them...the Zombies!"
    Guess what happens then?

Tent. Shovel. Dirt. Some lighting.Zombies.
    Unforgettable!
    Send the remainder of the $100,000 to :Jim Warfield You are welcome.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
      "Did you hear about that tent just outside of town?"
      "Why, what's going on there?"
      "The tent is just covering the graves they discovered so the forensics people can collect evidence, there were lot of bodies there I guess?"

"There, see all the lights over there , that must be the place, do you think we can get in to see it?"
      "Somebody has leased the ground and we have to pay a fee , the bodies were all removed a day or two ago."
      "Great! This should be something else."

"You better not try to walk too fast the lighting leaves a bit to be desired doesn't it?"
      "Look at all the holes! Was there a body in every one of them?"
      "Yes, I guess so."
      "Were they men, women, kids?"
      "They were teenagers I guess, runaways who ended up trusting the wrong guy.."
      "Oops, careful."

"Some of these graves don't look very deep."
      "They are as deep as they have to be.'
      "Have to be?"
      "To free them...the Zombies!"
      Guess what happens then?

Tent. Shovel. Dirt. Some lighting.Zombies.
      Unforgettable!
      Send the remainder of the $100,000 to :Jim Warfield You are welcome.
      Sounds like a good alternative. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by JamBam View Post
        Gore Galore has a very good point. You say that you will make your own scenes similar to the movies these "Hollywood" characters are from, yet you still list all the "Hollywood" characters in your room names. Either pay for the licensing ( many could be avail) or be ready to get the letters in the mail from the real "Hollywood" lawyers.

Find someone to be creative and have your own story. Otherwise you open yourself up for the customers criticisms of how you missed the scenes. That would be worse.

Also, you may want to start low on pricing and raise it after you have proven your value to your customers over time.

My two pennies,

Brett Molitor
        JamBam/Huntington Jaycees Haunted Hotel-13th Floor
        www.HauntedHuntington.com
        www.MySpace.com/the_haunted_hotel
        Like I said I am not planning on duplicating the exact "Hollywood" scenes. I want to create my own story line and use the Hollywood characters in the theme. I plan on not "stealing" anything from the Hollywood folks no more so than any other haunt using officially licensed costumes and mask. I am a honest guy that believes in strong business ethics. However if I can use the "Hollywood" angel to help promote my event without doing anything illegal then I plan on doing it. I am sure there are plenty of haunts that use the Hollywood characters in their themes. I just plan on using the name I bought along with those chanters as a marketing strategy. If I need to buy any licensing rights I will do that. As far as the list of room names it was just given as an example. I checked out your site and it looks very nice. Thanks for the info and please keep more coming to help out.

Thanks Again, RJT

Comment

Also, if you think big, you can have say 1,000 SF of walls then 500 SF of an open outdoor scene (indoors) then lather rinse repeat. Even tight passages cna be done with 60 panels per 1000 Sf costing in materials and paint about $30 each. So, New stuff $1800/1000 SF = $1.80 per SF. Then you can go lower than this by collecting surplus materials, buying used materials, finding alternative materials like old metal sheeting and what ever, being creative. You might infact have 1000 SF of dirt and a shovel? Even with the wiring harness, safety gear and semi trailer I might a little over $2 a SF. I have bought used walls and repainted them/ repaired them for as little as $10 each total. They have a history to them already.

you can build a real house for $40/SF but, No ceiling, no floors, no real doors, limited electric runs, no real utilities, no appliances, no pool, If you are planning a payroll, you only need limited amounts of props to start. Lots of flea market furniture and dumpster finds. What industrial finds you may overlook every day like giant saw blades that are no longer re bitable, barrels and drums, All available for scrap weight.

The most expensive part of a haunted house? Off season and build up storage. Pretty much any building material, or device can be found or donated. The storage may cost More than the haunt if not planned for ei go directly to semi trailers on land that does not have additional rent, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Other wise, in 5 years time you will have forked out $20,000 in storage and moving fees and the haunt was cleverly cobbled together for $3500 and it really couldn't be better for what is being done.

To me what is missing in all of your description is where you will be located, generally what town. Many towns just will not support $1000 per night payroll and $500 to charity per night. It just isn't going to happen so make other plans. If you crash 60 people a night using volunteers in some cases that is all there is going to be no matter how much you spent to advertise.

Yet, this isn't bad if it really is a Monster Museum. Hollywood may never find you if you are in a market that doesn't deserve the investment of a web site and any more than local advertising. It could be 100 well dressed mannequins and perhaps only two jump to life? Is it an academic town or where they have redneck games? Trying to get licensing is going to be denied.

Also, where you are might tip off someone who has one sitting in their yard that has no place to go and you could have it for free (no start up costs) or for so much per ticket? Some people already have 10 years of crap left over from themes not being displayed this year.

What would I do with the other $23 per SF? Donuts seem to be popular?
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I would like to propose the Strategic Haunt Initiative.

Haunts roving the country or North America even, in unmarked semi trailers so as not to be specifically located by Hollywood but, able to spring up in case of Halloween for $2 per ticket.

Of course diesel is now $900 a tank so, we will have to get government trucks and unload what ever crap they have in there then, go about our business.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

That is a loaded question for sure...

You can spend unlimited amount of money no doubt about it. You can fit a lot of scenes in 3,600 square feet, by my estimation about 8-10 with some mazes between. You can make the attraction so detailed that it will cost you hundreds of thousands or you can make it bare nothing for several thousand.

Its really hard to say it really depends on the level of detail you want to obtain. Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Many customers take the easy way to illusions, deceptions of one's perceptions, they use liquid effects as found within a bottle of spirits, maybe that's why it is called "BOOO-ze"! ?
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Here's my two cents...

1. Facade - Extremely important! You only get one chance at making a first impression. A really cool facade can be used to build up the patron's apprehension level prior to entering the haunt. It becomes part of your show. It will also give a more professional look to your show will help enhance your patrons willing suspension of disbelief.

2. Hollywood characters - been done to death! Be original and provide something unique to your patrons. Even if you use the movie characters in original scenes, they are still movie characters that most people are used to seeing. Provide new and exciting characters that your patrons will talk about!

3. Detail, detail, detail... Anyone can do black walls. Create a highly detailed, immersive environment for your patrons. Make them forget that they are inside of a tent. Patron's may not notice all of the detail that is there, but they sure will notice what is not there.

4. Safety - The fact that you want a waiver for a sprinkler system concerns me. Patron safety should be a number one concern. What do you plan to do in case a fire breaks out? Are you going to have a fire department pumper truck on-site at all times? Are the tents you plan on using fire retardant treated?

5. What is the competition like in your target area? You need to provide something completely original to set yourself apart from the competition, especially during your first season. Why will a potential patron choose attending your haunt over another one in your area? You want repeat customers. I have many customers that return several times during the season who bring more people with them. In fact, we are going to be offering season passes this year.
                  Last edited by MindWerxKMG; 04-09-2008, 07:56 AM.
                  Kevin
                  MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Just because you buy a liscensed Freddy Costume doesnt give you the right to use it for commercial use in your haunt. Even if the scene the character is in is different from the movies freddy is still property of the studio. Some haunts do get away with it cause they dont promote or advertise the use, but last year ALOT of huants got notices to stop using them, esp since Universal Studios now do their own haunt. Just becareful. You dont want to be shut down befor you open of worse get sued and lose lots of $$.

Sean
                    Sean De Wane
                    ----------------------------------------------
                    The De Wane Asylum
                    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

It is a little known fact that "Freddie" was modeled from the studio's actual head of their legal department!
                      He has a very personal interest in coming after you!
                      Maybe even in your dreams!??
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                      X