Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Association Updates

Several updates coming right now...

1) The association now has nearly 200 paid members. This is before we've even launched a MAJOR effort to make the whole industry aware of the association for our industry. We expect to have around 500 to 800 members by this time next year. Once the membership is in place, bylaws will be implemented, and the membership will vote on a board, executive board members, and the direction of the association. Hauntworld, Inc. will donate the website (www.hauntedhouseasocation.org) and the data base to the new association, which will have bylaws created by the industry. We predict this will happen within the next 6 months or after the Halloween season.

2) We have added a new page on the site called 'Media'. The page is devoted to offering links to MAJOR stories done on our industry. We will add members links and stories to this page or youtube videos.

I only added a few, and will look for feedback on other things to add. Please email me all suggestions.

http://hauntedhouseassociation.org/media.htm

One of the major objectives is to PROMOTE the industry, and through this website will wil accomplish this mission!

3) We have also updated our vendor discount program page with additional discounts to additional vendors. Go here to read them all... http://hauntedhouseassociation.org/vendor_discounts.htm

If you are a vendor and want to offer a discount let us know before we launch the industries LARGEST effort EVER to drive membership to the new association. We will TOP any previous association ever started in this industry in membership after this drive. We will MAIL and EMAIL over 4,000 potential new members to let them know that our industry finally has a home, someone who will try to defend them, fight for them, promote them, and be steered by industry professionals.

We're moving forward and not looking back!

Its time for our industry to move forward, not repeat past mistakes, and only look forward to making our business grow!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Looks good, that's a lot of vendors on board. On a side note, when do you sleep???

Allan

Comment

Larry,
      I wish HHA Luck in the Future, I hope that HHA can learn from other Organizations MISTAKES.
      I hope that HHA never forgets what it was intended to be,
      I hope that HHA never forgets the people it is intended to be represent,
      I hope HHA can stay out of all the bullshit politics that the haunt industry seems to generate.
      and Honestly I HOPE for awhole lot more out of HHA
      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Rob,

I can promise you that!

The one thing I have learned over the years is this... if you want to do ANYTHING right it takes time. In my youth I would just rush in and do do do... now I realize everything you want done right just takes time.

Give me time and I will make everyone proud! I already have a great group of people helping me, and a great group of haunters who've joined. We will reach OVER 300 by June and I feel we'll be around 500 by Halloween.

When we started the Hauntworld Magazine, we started off with only about 250 and before you knew it we had over 1,000, and soon there after we had 1,500 and now I think we're at something around 1,900.

I want to get all the eggs in the basket first, then let the industry decided how to proceed.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

congrats on the so far sucess of HHA! Can't wait to see more good things come out of it.

sean
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

You have with out question been able to do so much in the time you have been working on this. When the day comes that I open the doors on a pro haunt, I will not hesitate to join. Keep moving it forward and as you said don't look back.
            Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

To give credit where credit is due, you need to understand the "back story". I am sure there are others who state or have the idea Larry has started the HHA just to spite or because he could not get his way with IAHA. This would be an inaccurate and unfair assumption.

Larry started out badgering the IAHA, because he felt that they were not representing the industry in the correct light. Many things were wrong, but it was a fledgling association. There were problems with the leadership of the organization and Larry was vocal about that. Several individuals including myself and Ben Armstrong were conversing with Larry and basically convinced him to put his efforts behind supporting the IAHA to help correct the problems.

Larry took on the task in typical Larry fashion; he jumped in with both feet. He not only joined but ran for the Board and was elected President. Say what you will, but more was accomplished during his tenure than in the entire time the IAHA has been in existence. The Board adapted an actual goal and direction, work began on what developed into the 3 year plan, web site was revamped, new logos, a strengthen relationship with TW, increasing membership, the formulation of a national PR program to name a few. Larry saved the association thousands of dollars getting TW and other sources to pay for many of the things that we as members had been footing the bill for. He personally took on the fund raising at TW and raised more money that ever before. Larry did not just complain about things, he jumped in and helped to correct those problems!

Not wanting the IAHA to be merely known as “Larry association” he declined a second term as president and preferred to focus on the PR program he felt was a cornerstone of the association revival. Instead of taking the momentum and continuing, the association returned to its floundering roots. No one wanting to fill the void and do everything that Larry was doing (you’re right I don’t think he does sleep!) Larry fought for the PR program but the new board did not want to fund it to the level Larry thought necessary to be effective. Instead of dropping it, he convinced several of the country’s largest haunt to fund the program. The IAHA wanted all of the benefit of the program but none of the liability.
              The association began a quick return to its former roots and problems.

The inherent problem was created from its inception. The association lacks focus. It is supposed to be an association for the Haunted House owners and operators (International Association of Haunted Attractions) as opposed to an association of haunt enthusiasts. But when formed it needed numbers so it took in anyone. I was at the first official meeting. I didn’t own a haunt yet and was excited about the prospect of being able to join when I opened my attraction, I was told “you don’t need to own one, you just have to be interested in it.” That is the base problem. Members that do not know or understand the owners point of view, yet have an equal say in the direction and position of the association. I have fought this since day one.

Larry fought it and tried to correct it, to no avail. IAHA has some very dedicated members and Board members, but they continue to flounder because of the focus problem. You can not be an “end all, be all” organization and effectively represent the industry. Finally in discussions with several people it was felt that the best course was to start over. Do it right the FIRST time. So the HHA was begun. As Larry has stated, he has learned from the past and is approaching this one step at a time. Will the HHA have non-haunt owners as members? I hope so, there is a definite need for these people. As a home haunter I wanted to be part so that someday when I made the fateful leap I would be prepared, but I never assumed I should be anything but a associate member.

If the HHA is constructed correctly it CAN become the unified voice our industry needs. At least it is being formed correctly from the foundation. The IAHA had more potential that it ever imagined. But it will never succeed without focus. The PR program was successfully launched, then reduced to nothing but a couple of lame press releases. The 3 Year was developed and implemented with great ballyhoo. Now it is nothing but a splintered program that a couple Board members are working on. The “president” does a year end report in TAP, not ONE mention of anything accomplished for the 3 Year plan!! It is merely a façade. When anyone asks what the IAHA is doing….”We have a 3Year Plan!!” What happens as year 3 approaches? Do we change it or the 5 or 10 Year Plan?

Larry has a “like him-hate him” personality. This is a trait usually attributed to people who actually get things accomplished! You tend to ruffle feathers when you shake up the nest! The IAHA needed its nest VIOLENTLY shaken, not stirred. It has decided to settle back into its comfort zone, so its time to move to a new nest. Maybe it’s one on the utmost tips of the branches, but now one that will be seen, one that will have to be contended with.

Long winded, I sure am!!(sorry) But hopefully I could shed a little light on the “background” story. The IAHA had the best intension. I fought for it for years myself. But it is hopelessly lost in its own mire. Larry is not forming the HHA out of spite, but out of NEED. WE as Haunt owners need representation. We need accurate public information about who we are, not references to “Tunnels of Love”. IAAPA is not being governed by amusement park enthusiasts but by people actually IN the business. Do we deserve anything less??? Larry doesn’t think so, what about you?

Rich
              Last edited by RJ Productions; 04-08-2008, 03:20 AM.
              R&J Productions
              Las Vegas, NV
              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I can't say all the details right now, because way too many people have been trying to flub up everything I do, or copy what I do. So here is the deal... this association will be a REAL association within months, with bylaws, and soon thereafter a real board.

I can't say who all will now back this endever because its some major people but this will be HANDS DOWN THE ONLY association for this industry.

There will be no other that represents the haunted house industry, and I say 'Industry' because I mean the industry. I also can't tell you what exactly this new association will be doing but its so freakin major you won't believe it.

But everything is coming...

Couple things...

Will this be a Larry Kirchner thing? NO it will not be. We plan to donate all assets to the new association within months after it has become an official association. What I mean by assets are websites, data bases, logos, etc.

Will I serve as Preident or run on the board? ONLY if I'm voted in by the members. I do plan to run for the board, and I already know of several others who plan to run as well including vendors. So yes I plan on running but I can only be on that board if voted in.

Who will vote? The membership. Right no the membership stands just north of 200,and that will climb once all the official flyers go out the door promoting the formation. We expect 500 plus to join within the next 6 months.

What will the association do for you? That is the cool part, and most of the things I can't say just yet for fear someone will try to foul up a good thing.

Why this group over the other one... the other group is a total toothless tiger, it neither runs a tradeshow, magazine, seminars, has nearly no haunt owner members, doesn't almost nothing on national stage in terms of promoting your industry, and for the most part is operated by people who seem to live there forever. They have no idea's, no real plan, and never will.

This group will be operated with one purpose in mind... FIGHT FOR HAUNTED HOUSE OWNERS, VENDORS and OPERATORS! To help you make money, to expand your business, to bring you oportunities you didn't have before, to defend the industry in a time of crisis and to help steer our future!

This group will be directed by owners, operators and vendors... all can join but not everyone can steer the association without required amounts of exerience and expertise no different than IAAPA. The entire association will be modeled after IAAPA but only for the haunted house industry.

Good things are coming...

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

I would like to say the following......I am just a little home haunter, not a pro, but I do read a lot on the various boards, so this is my opinion from an outsider looking in.
                  From what I have seen and/or read this seems like a great thing headed in the right direction.
                  Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks!!! And let me say this just so its CLEAR! Anyone can join, and as I've already stated we're modeling ourselves after IAAPA, where anyone can join. Yes, everyone starts somewhere, and you look to things like associations for information and we will do that for you.

However the main difference is if you want to steer the association, you must have qualifications, experience, expertise, within the industry. Do people who have never gone through medical school sit on the medical board of America?

Yes everyone starts somewhere, even a future doctor, but the board who runs the association will have experience and meet requirements set by the bylaws, therefore you have a board of peers, who have the best interest of an industry in mind, and we will lose all this drama stuff or never being able to do things that help all haunts!

THat is the goal HELP ALL HAUNTS!

Join today... www.hauntedhouseassociation.org

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Will the board be made up of the same old same old? No offense, but there seems to be a few people only that get most of the attention in the industry...I think people will join up more so if they didn't think things will ultimately benefit the same inner circle who gets all the mention, press, accolades. There are great haunts but do we have to constantly toot their horns evertime?

I'm sure I speak for other people thinking this too, it may help people decide to join like myself.

Darkangel

Comment

Darkangel..

I could not agree more I am keeping a clear mind when I think that the HHA will have more than the same old same old. It does seem clear that the same ones are getting all the press and attention here thats no big secret. Maybe they are good friends or maybe they are paying but either way I am hoping that this will be an orginization of a wide range of haunts and their owners. We will have to wait and see. Time will tell Larry lets see some new names and faces that will work for us. I myself joined and am giving it a chance. Lets all see how this plays out. Larry will people be nominated for positions and we vote? Or will you place everyone yourself? I am hoping it will be a vote.
                        Last edited by graystone; 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

You want to talk same old same old... look over at IAHA. That board is loaded up with people who have NEVER owned a haunt and NEVER plan to own a haunt, and some are exec board members. Randy Young has been a board member forever and he has NEVER owned a haunt. So in some ways I think you're thinking about IAHA, not HHA.

IAHA is a CLUB... their new election proves that, but with HHA haunted house owners will vote for who will or won't be on the board. YOU WILL HAVE A VOTE, things will be done RIGHT, not in secret, not behind the scenes, nothing of the sort.

I will say however that you will have to have been in the business for at least five years otherwise you can't run for the board. The board will need EXPERIENCED leaders...

Additionally there will be hoops to jump through to become a board member just like IAAPA. So if you want to jump through the hoops then you're proving you want to serve! Do you want more deadbeat board members like IAHA has had all these years? Or do you want people who want to DO SOMETHING and make a DIFFERENCE?

But same old boys club NO! I think you'll see a lot of vendor serve, which should drive Shane crazy! LOL

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

i joined the minute i first heard of it...lets talk..how can you go wrong..??..some people in this industry work tirelessly to help every haunt out there...and where it counts the most..putting money in every haunt owners pocket..i do not think it matters that some haunts are recognized more as much as it does that those haunts represent our industry very well..industry leaders..in every way...just take a look at some of these haunts..then look in the mirror...i for one am very relaxed in knowing these haunts represent all of us...and articles in U.S.A today and the Wall St. Journal..and Goodmorning America..etc..are doing stories on some of the best this industry has to offer....and it puts money right in all our pockets...as long as HHA does this for all of us and more..you have got my money and thanks..finally an organization with the big picture in mind...this is a business ...and it is important we have truely successful business leaders on this board..and the success of the HHA and the haunting industry will follow
                            in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
                            www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

Yeah, those national news articles were great, for the haunts they featured. Sure it sheds a more professional and positve light for the industry, but it's the haunts that were actually featured in those interviews that benefit mostly. That's why they all slap it on everything they do promotional wise, website, everything. Of course, I would too if I were them. But that didn't put any real money in your pockets? You're not going to try to impress your patrons and your local media by showing them yet another highlight of the big haunts out there with you not on it....Wouldn't that tell your guests and media that you're not good enough to make this top list and therefore not worth covering other than being a local haunt? It would seem the media would want to cover and would be proud of THEIR local haunt getting national exposure.

I think that membership should be limited, not just anybody should be a member that's what hurts IAHA, People who aspire to one day run a good haunts or don't even have a haunt trying to lead for those that do have haunts is not wise.

I have been looking into the industry learning for several years before I open. I can pretty much gaurantee some board members that will be serving. And from that, I bet these "National campaigns" that are supposed to help everyone will be geared at the same haunts that get featured in the "top haunts" site and Travel Channel. I can understand the "Good ol' boy" network, taking care of your friends for things but in order to grow it's time to spread the wealth and broaden the industries horizons.....

I do see more of a future for HHA than for IAHA that's for sure, would be interested to see how things develop though....

Darkangel

Comment

Working...
                              X