Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Ideas for a Haunted Trail

Howdy, Haunt Fiends:

I've been running a haunted forest-type attraction for about six years now. Though we've been very successful and our approach seems to work just fine, I'm finding myself feeling a little tapped out this year.

What I'm finding is that our scares are tending to be the general same concept: spooky set, distraction, scare, walk the trail a bit, spooky set, distraction, scare. This works fine as the distractions and scares can have variety, but here's the question:

What's the most UNIQUE or AMAZING thing you've done in an outdoor attraction? One of my personal favorites on one trail in another state was the use of a short-range flamethrower -- not sure how that passed muster, and it did not get anywhere near the guests, but it was awesome.

Any suggestions?

http://www.DarkHollowHaunt.com
    DARK HOLLOW HAUNTED FOREST
    www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

One year we did a hay ride and drove the hayride into the middle of a field with only the tractor lights on , once the drive hit dead center, he turned and looked at the puzzled people and yell "thats it for me im outa here" and shut off the tractor and ran screaming across the field. once he was outa sight we had several zombies hiding in the grass that rose up and surrounded the wagon. people freaked. I dont know if it was amazing , but it sure scared the crap outa people lol
    SYTHLOR
    Doug Crawford owner
    Rockville Fear Factory Llc
    Vernon Ct, 06084

Comment

That is FANTASTIC!!!

Just add some ringers on the wagon with fake arms to get brutally yanked off by the zombies and.....
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

For freshness keep everything sealed real good until October.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Speaking of freshness, this thread is getting dusty. Anyone else have any suggestions?

One innvovation we're doing this year is expanding our queue-line. We usually have a DVD with fake commercials, classic horror clips and trailers, sponsor commercials, etc. This year we're building a haunted Drive-In with a bashed up classic car with a dead body that talks to the guests as they wait. It should be fun AND gives our queue-line video more of a theme this time rather than simply a big movie screen out in the forest for no real reason other than keeping guests entertained.

I love Ebay. I managed to get a ton of public-domain movie trailers, including a ton of Spook Show trailers and Drive-In commercials like "Let's all go to the Lobby..." with the dancing candy. Most excellent...

Anyone else have any haunted forest / haunted trail suggestions?
          www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

People don't like bugs. How about the woods being home to a 6 foot tall wood tick?
            "Tick",tick,tick,tick...Gotcha!"
            A wood tick as Count Dracula.
            "There's a sucker born every minute!"
            You don't need a full costume to get a reaction, just make an arm from Mr. Tickula!
            A reaching arm of course.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

The bug idea is cool; we got our hands on some harnesses and wire that we plan to stretch across some trees and use in a "spider's nest" area. Actors dressed as deccicated victims will leap from one tree to the next above the guests' heads.

Should be a treat.
              www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

One idea too, people don't like clowns. You can set up a descent size tent out on your trail making it look like a circus tent out in the middle of the woods. Bright colors of red, orange, yellows, greens, pinks. People have to walk thur this tent in order to continue their tour, Actors dressed as killer clowns giggling around just having a good time. Throw pop corn at the victims. Fill the tent up with fog some, hang multi-colored lights. Just be creative and have fun with it.
                ~Bill Mlinac
                The Deadland Haunted House
                www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Here's another idea if you already haven't done it. Scarecrow alley. You make up 9 identical looking scarecrows all looking the same. you place them on the outer edges of your walking path looking inwards at each other. You have 5 in a row on your left hand side. 4 in a row on your right hand side. In one of those spots will be a real live actor which will make up for your 5th scarecrow so you have a total amount of 10. This actor will also look just like the fakes so he/she blends in with the display. Make a 7 foot cross out of 2x4s which are the stands for your scarecrows. Got to make them high up or tall like 7 foot so they seem to be looking down at your victims. You can add carved out evil looking pumpkins and place them every so often along the path with tons of hay. Maybe even a skeleton or rotting corpse laying around. At the right time, your actor jumps out for the attack!
                  ~Bill Mlinac
                  The Deadland Haunted House
                  www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                  www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

All good ideas!
                    I personally really get off on scaring the customer with the absolutely minimal effort put forth. (Maybe it's a purely "ego" thing?)
                    I would step around the corner ahead of them, sit down on a bench, fold my hands between my legs (since seeing real hands on a" dummy" is a dead giveaway) tip my head down keeping my head up just enough so I can see their feet.
                    remember, I just walked away from them a second ago, they know what I'm wearing (everything is pretty well-lit here) I move alittle quickly and they scream and jump!
                    Very Fun!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X