Cleaning Up the Clutter!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Up the Clutter!!!!

I have made mention to this a few times now and Larry is yet to respond. Maybe because I am not on his top 13 (notice I said "his") Ok I have came across several Haunts that is no longer in business but they remain on HauntWorld. I think you Larry should have a way to clean up the clutter on each state. It would only benifit other haunts thats still in business. Actually I have talked to customers who visited my haunt and said we went to "Acme Haunt" (example) drove 3 hours and they are not in business anymore. I have emailed several who have told me they are no longer in business but their Haunts are still listed. I noticed one the other day that said Fright Factory 06 and they are not a working haunt anymore. Clean up the haunts that way everyone who is still in business can gain some new customers that will come to them. Also this will help the customers who come here to decide where they will be going instead going to one waste their high dollar gas only to find no one is there. This will help in the Owner-Customer working relationship both will know. There is just no need to 3 pages of haunts when there is only really 2 there has got to be a way. I think all Haunts will agree with me in my thinking here. Shane Graystone Manor
    sigpic

I know on sites like haunted Wisconsin they wipe their slates clean each year and the haunts have to re-post their information to be posted. Maybe Hauntword should do the same if its getting to beocme a problem.
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by MMManiac View Post
      I know on sites like haunted Wisconsin they wipe their slates clean each year and the haunts have to re-post their information to be posted. Maybe Hauntword should do the same if its getting to beocme a problem.
      I think it is a problem for my state's listings and agree that purging would be a good policy as long as they don't wipe it clean in the fall (or just prior to the season).

Comment

Michigan is WAY off as well.
        There are quite a few haunts I've been to several seasons in a row that just plain aren't on the listing, and dozens of haunts that I know have been closed down for at least one season, if not more (The Field Where Robert Moss Played and Urban Legends come to mind).

Comment

Looks like...

My thinking is right on the money! I dont wont to come off in a bad way but it would just be better to have these haunts updated. Larry send out some emails and tell them if they do dont respond within a time frame they are going to be removed. This will ensure up to date listings. And all the old haunts who are out of business will not clutter up each state. Thanks for the imput guys! Anyone else see where I am coming from on this. Its money in everyones pocket! Not to compete aginst a non working haunt! Shane Graystone Manor.
          sigpic

Comment

Someday somebody will have to be spray painting all those rest room walls when my place is no more.
            Advertising that gets the customer's attention when they are partly naked always works!
            Of course the bad side is the few that store these messages subliminally and show up at my front door half naked.
            "Back door, Dumby!"
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

repeats and out of dates/business

I glanced over the Indiana listings and found several things that need attention. The banner for the jail on the secondary page probably needs to be taken off as they appear to have dropped their main page ad. Several haunts are listed twice. And one from another state, but not sure if that is supposed to be there. If it is ok, then since we are close to Ohio and Michigan I will post to them to help us.

Remember, this industry is always on flux, and it is a tough job to maintain a list like this.
              Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
              Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

JamBam

I have noticed too that some listings are repeats its like one person put up the listing then another different person added a listing of the same haunt! Shane Graystone Manor
                sigpic

Comment

This was already talked about, larry posted something about making it so inacttive acct. delate themselfs after so long. I do not know this was done when they changed HauntWorld or not. I took mine down when I was not going to open this year because it would do me more harm then good.
                  Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

So Larry should email all the haunts that are out of business. Is that what you're saying Shane? Lets see how much time that would take. Lets say it takes 10 minutes per state looking for haunts that are out of business depending on how many haunts are on the page/pages. Ok that's 500 minutes right there (50 x 10). Then let's say there are an average of 5 out of business haunts per page and it takes around 5 minutes emailing each haunt (5 x 50 x 5). That's 1,250 minutes. Currently Larry needs to spend 1,750 minutes to be able to personally address every single haunt that is out of business and this doesn't include responding to 250 different haunts that need their listing deleted. Wait I forget, the out of business haunts need to be deleted. Lets say on average it takes 2 minutes to delete each lising (2 x250). That's an additional 500 minutes. Now we're up 2,250 minutes which equals 37.5 hours of work just to delete out of business haunts and then you have to maintain the website on top of that and work on your haunts, HHA, Haunted House Online, Halloween Productions, Hauntworld Magazine and everything else in your life. Boy by the time Larry is done getting rid of those haunts He'll be in the hospital. I think there needs to be a better way than emailing all the out of business haunts unless Larry wants to live on the computer.
                    Spooky Wishes
                    Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Jolly

Whoo you must be Larrys personal Body Guard dang you sure defended him quick!I am sure as much as you are taking up for him maybe Larry will let you do it for him . Also if I am correct I seen and talked to 2 beautiful ladies at TransWorld that work for him maybe they can do it. I mean Larry is in your opinion the busiest person here. That suggeston can be done by bulk emails. Have you ever heard of a bulk email. Spammers do it all the time send out 1 million emails in less than a few seconds. Larry this is only a suggestion and nothing personal but I am sure and can see by the post already that others think it would be good! Let me ask you is there anything I can do to help you with in cleaning it up. It appears other sights do it maybe you could ask them how they clean the old out of business haunts up. Trust me Jolly I have many many locations in the South with my company but I am never to busy to help my customers and keep them happy. If I cant do it personally thats what I pay my employees to do. Larry if it helps I can loan you some of my employees I am serious I think this needs to be addressed and I dont mind paying some of my employees to help. This way you can work on all the other things Jolly mentioned for you. Again this is nothing personal just in my opinion Jolly thinks your to busy with everything else thats more important and this dont seem a worth while effort to take on. Any way I can help ? Let me know. Also 37.5 hours is not even a full work week. Lets see there is 52 weeks in a year that leaves 51 weeks for Larry to work on other things. Dont get mad Jolly or take it personal I am making a point just like you did no offence. Shane Graystone Manor
                      Last edited by graystone; 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Pumpkin View Post
                        So Larry should email all the haunts that are out of business. Is that what you're saying Shane? Lets see how much time that would take. Lets say it takes 10 minutes per state looking for haunts that are out of business depending on how many haunts are on the page/pages. Ok that's 500 minutes right there (50 x 10). Then let's say there are an average of 5 out of business haunts per page and it takes around 5 minutes emailing each haunt (5 x 50 x 5). That's 1,250 minutes. Currently Larry needs to spend 1,750 minutes to be able to personally address every single haunt that is out of business and this doesn't include responding to 250 different haunts that need their listing deleted. Wait I forget, the out of business haunts need to be deleted. Lets say on average it takes 2 minutes to delete each lising (2 x250). That's an additional 500 minutes. Now we're up 2,250 minutes which equals 37.5 hours of work just to delete out of business haunts and then you have to maintain the website on top of that and work on your haunts, HHA, Haunted House Online, Halloween Productions, Hauntworld Magazine and everything else in your life. Boy by the time Larry is done getting rid of those haunts He'll be in the hospital. I think there needs to be a better way than emailing all the out of business haunts unless Larry wants to live on the computer.
                        First of all, all of the emails are in a database, so it would be an easy task to handle through a bulk email program.

There is an easy solution to cleaning up the listings... do what HauntedWisconsin.com, ScaryOhio.com and HauntedIllinois.com do... Delete the event database and start from scratch each season. That way the information in the Event Directory is guaranteed to be current.
                        Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
                        Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

If ANYONE knows of a listing that is GONE out of business email me and let me know...I'd be happy to delete that account.

I can't delete the accounts because with our system people can delete them themselves, so they should be responsible and do this.

You can also log in and update the account yourself.

I did delete John Dolans account the other day because I know he's not coming back. I have in the past deleted other accounts I know to be gone.

But if someone runs across some let me know.

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Let me make another comment now that I went through and read the whole thread start to finish...

I WILL NOT just random delete accounts...no way.

EVERY account holder has the option to go in and delete their account just like that.

Let me also so the power of this website to drive traffic to your haunt business is for real... I get emails from people who use to own attraction and they would tell me stories about how they get people coming every weekend but they have no idea where they are coming from then realize its an old listing on our site, and want me to remove it.

I tell them to remove it!

I've had people tell me people destroyed their property because they got mad the attraction was no longer in business...hey if you go to a site like this one and list your attraction, you're responsible to also remove it when you go out of business.

You have the options to update, change or anything else you'd like all by logging in and doing it!

I spent THOUSANDS to make this system, this is the best system in the WORLD, and I spent the money to do it right so I wouldn't have to babysit people. Its just not my responsibility.

If people want to update their listings they'll get more business from our sites, again their responsibility. I offer the tools for FREE to create awesome pages, promote your business and or delete your accounts. What more can I do????

You tell me?

Now on the other hand if someone can show me user ID's or links to accounts you're 110% positive are gone, out of business, I will be happy to delete them. POST THE LINKS here... I will remove them.

BE SURE you're right!

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President
                            www.HalloweenProductions.com
                            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Hummm

Well, as I see it when people go out of business they just cancel their websights if they have one. Why because they are paying for it every month or year. On the other hand when its free like it is here why do they care if they are still on or off. I mean they have already closed their doors and dont care if its still on or not. Most people go out of business feeling let down and pissed at the world so they dont care that people come here read about a haunt thats not in business only to have them drive for a hour or two to see a empty parking lot. Its not about baby sitting its about taking the steps to keep the haunts that are in business happy. Me myself I pay for listings and with that I might not wont to pay in the future if I am going to be cluttered up on a sight that has many out of business haunts. Its not about baby sitting its about talkin care of the concerns of thoes who do pay. And with all the thousands you have payed for this sight Larry why not spend a little more and offer a way to do like the other sights like its been suggested. It may be your sight and your this and that but someday there may be something more up to date that might make you want to babysit your pride and joy. Just as I see it. Bottom like its messy, cluttered not to mention misinforms people to read bad data. Why not take the extra step to clean off the out of business haunts and focus on the ones who are in business that way no one looses to people who pay 100 bucks in gas to visit a empty parking lot! It should be what everyone wants. Shane Graystone Manor
                              Last edited by graystone; 04-21-2008, 03:27 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X