Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using PCs as a central haunt control system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PCs as a central haunt control system.

Id like to get people opinions on using a PC as a Haunted house control system, I know there are a lot of haunted house operators who would rather be buried alive than use a PC, and Id like to understand if this opinion is based upon hard experience or anecdotal evidence.

My interest in this matter is as a professional controls engineer I have been developing PC based control systems for on and off 20 years, and I'm actually very familiar with many of the arguments, and have often successfully proven many of them to be unfounded, out of context or easily solved.

The case for the PC is very strong, today even baseline machines are inordinately powerful, and in recent years the prices have crashed to a level where you can buy a perfectly serviceable laptop computer for $400, compare this to a number of stand alone haunt and animatronics controllers and it represents an incredible value..... however, given an option of using PC or not then most people will still prefer the 'not' option.

When you factor in the fact that a single PC with the right combination of hardware and software could do the job of many stand alone controllers, and give you a singe central point of control then I feel its well worth examining the case against the PC.

The haunted industry is not alone in this preference either, there is a whole world out there who would much prefer non PC solutions, I work in the industrial automation industry and have known clients want to spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars on redeveloping a non PC solution.

However, much of the anti PC rhetoric is often based on a number of misconceptions, and evidence that is anecdotal, out of date, out of context and in several cases based upon scare stories whipped up by manufacturers protecting non PC products.

Reliability is probably the PCs most damning criticism. EVERYONE complains about a failed PC at some point and we all have personal experiences and stories about the frustration of being unable to get one to do the simplest tasks, however how often have you sat back and asked why, after all, under the skin the hardware of a PC is solid state, the only moving part in a PC is the hard disk drive, and indeed its the only part thats liable to mechanical failure.

On top of this hardware we have the software.... and this is where the arguing normally starts Microsoft/Micro$oft/Microshaft Windows/Windoze, call it what you will everyone hates the "evil money grabbing giant" that is Microsoft and the "unreliable junk" they peddle.... and often these accusations have been well justified, they completely underestimated the development of computers from day 1 and the windows 95/98/ME product line was absolute garbage.

But, probably the biggest fault of the PC, its biggest weakness is its accessibility, just about any would be geek thinks he can buy a disparate collection of parts and build a PC, just about any Taiwanese electronics shop can build a motherboard/card/widget that plugs into a PC, and just about any kid in a darkened bedroom can write some junk software, and just about any user over a period of time will load up his computer with the most bizarre range of junk and 'cool gadgets' that its no wonder the thing operates at the speed of pouring cold tar.

I would love to go to central control in our haunts, but all the wiring is my biggest draw back. We are temporary, so 5 weeks to set up everything. Thats why I normally stick to stand along controllers.

The other thing I have yet to find is a good software program that would allow me the number of i/o's i need and is user friendly.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

If I could find a nice linux or even windows based software and ethernet controled selanoids I would so be all over this. If it had a great GUI I would be in heaven. I am not a control engineer but do a ton of Networks and ethernet cable can be ran in no time and could be rolled up and stored for temp house or heck wireless. Well I am just dreaming but that would be awsome to me. Just keep a spare PC on hand with a backup of the configuration and you take most of the problems out of the mix. Don't ever let it touch the internet and you are in even better shape.
      sigpic

Comment

Very good points about keeping a backup and keeping your control computers away from the internet, in fact, if you are using a central control computer, you should only ever use it as a control computer, don't let the kids play games, don't use it for email, once you get a control computer doing the job you need it to do then don't screw with it.

What about DMX? a DMX network can control 512 bytes of output, and its quite easy to build a DMX solenoid manifold using DMX relays, and you can use wireless DMX.

After DMX then there are industrial protocols like Profibus, Profinet, fieldbus, these protocols are supported by hundreds of thousands of network devices such as pneumatic manifolds.... and more significantly your input devices can sit on the same network.

Software is the easy bit, over the past three years I've been developing the Exorcist haunt controller, and I'm currently trying to understand what kind of system would be of interest to professional attractions.
        Last edited by Phoenix; 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I must look into this for future upgrades to the manor. I would love to run everything from a central location with a nice gui have a second monitor with the floorplan up and it could then alert maintenance when there was a problem. I see lots of very useful things with a central control center.
          sigpic

Comment

Absolutely!

You can have the best of both worlds. Individual PLC's (Programmable Logic Controller) can be located at each scene or room. Depends on how complex your props are. Might have only two or three PLCS in entire haunt or one per prop. Each PLC has a network card so you just run a single network cable from each PLC back to a hub that's attached to the PC. The nice thing is that your PLC ladder logic resides on each individual PLC. In your code is a "safe mode" that if network goes down resort to local control only. PC kicks out, network crashes, the PLC will keep on humming in "dumb" mode, allowing you time to re-boot or grab the fire extinguisher depending on severity. Great for safety too. Have e-stop to tie all controls together and a dump valve for air.

Creating controls for a mini haunt right now. And when I say mini I'm talking 12' x 16'. Suppose to be a for rent for parties or something like that. But it utilizes several PLC's tied to a touch panel HMI display. Limited control, but for $300 you get a touch pad display with custom graphics that ties it all together. Perfect for a rental where the operator won't have any controls background or haunt experience.
            Scott Ames

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea, kind of like the Holy Grail of Haunt controllers, and I am very interested.

Back in 1999 Simulated Reality tried to market a product with a similar concept. Never really got off the ground, for various reasons, but we were Beta tester for the Brain and it's related daughter boards.

Couple of basic issues right away; first is the expense. It just SOUNDS expensive!

Secondly, we have what seems like a ton of money, time and resources tied up in various controllers like Prop1, Prop2, Gilderfluke, KeyBanger, Cowlicious, Midi show control, old computers with KIT-74s, homebuilt crap, product from vendors that are no longer around and others I’m failing to remember. Of these maybe 50 controllers, each one has a fairly unique purpose and the thought of recreating each of these components in a PLC seems to be daunting, at least to me. I’ve got enough trouble getting each of the systems working each year as it is without the complexity of a PLC. So the question is how do you program the PLC? A nice Windows GUI that you supply would really set my heart at ease. I don’t have the time or desire to learn another language.

How many outputs does the PLC use? What voltages? To cobble together all of the components we currently use we would need a variety of DC voltages and AC. Then sound and triggering control is something else.

So I guess my biggest reason not to centrally control is the seemingly overwhelming task of trying to get our current stuff ported to work on a central system.

But I really like the idea and please keep me informed as you progress.
              http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

So it's sounding like a good idea to start out with, bad idea if you already have controllers in place! At first I wanted everything in one control center, all the sound, all the control, then I was concerned about "all the eggs in one basket". At least with seperate audio and/or controllers if one goes down at leastthe rest of your show is up and running. And like Karl, what to do with all the existing controllers? Haunted EBay??
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

PLC's very reliable

PLC's are in industry running nearly all controls for automation for all industries out there. I work for GM and we use Allen bradley exclusively. The most common, and very infrequent, service issue is to power down and reboot. By infrequent I mean days and weeks, if not months of 7/24 up time. Many never go down. We have PLCs that were installed in 1986 and still plugging along running conveyors and other equipment that are the heart of the Chevy truck assembly plant here.

As a side note, there is still in place several systems I programmed in 1986 that are graphic display overviews that Mr Gates never made a dime on. They use cpm language, this is pre-DOS.

The biggest drawback is learning logic programming. The software and interface cables can be salty, but you only need one.

eBay has a ton of plc equipment available.
                  Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                  Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

legacy devices........, sooner or later these stop being the attractive quick fixes they were when you started out and evolve into a liability, this is because they lack scaleability, and what was a good fix for a single prop is not necessarily a good fix for an integrated control system.

The real problem with legacy devices started when they were first used, and the user wasn't looking at a bigger picture, Ive done it many times myself and it usually always ends up in an incomprehensible tangle of wiring and having to juggle which device can be connected to which prop/sound output etc...

The real danger with legacy devices is when you find yourself at a point where they have become so numerous that you are incapable of expanding the schema, yet at the same time you still feel they are too valuable to dispose of, this thinking can easily paralyze development, and the sooner you opt out and go for a scalable system the less painful it will be.

However, distributed sound processors, PLC's and the like are not a problem, and indeed with a more complex control system can indeed be an asset, the trick with them is to use devices that can communicate with the entire system, however as an overall control system I don't see PLC's as the way forward, there are a lot of things that PLC's on their own are not good at... and we come back to the point, at current PC prices PLC's cant compete for value.

Networked E-Stops is an absolute NO unless you are using a network protocol thats categorized for networked E-Stops such as azibus, if you are using an E-Stop then it must be hardwired, fail safe and have a degree of redundancy.

Comment

Sound would be the real cool thing here. A great program that could run MANY audio tracks at once, feeding into some sort of attached Pre-amp with RCA outs you could take to multiple amps, now that would be great! It would wipe out the stacks of CD players most of us have, that really don't like fog! Could you have a single PC playing 30+ Tracks, with an attached Preamp? What would it cost?

Its too late for me on this, We have been converting to Gulderfluke paybacks. This lets me zone the sound and not put "all my eggs in one basket" so to speak.

But still what is available on this front?

Thanks!

Ben
                      NETHERWORLD
                      Ben Armstrong
                      NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                      www.Fearworld.com
                      www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by Speculo View Post
                        Sound would be the real cool thing here. A great program that could run MANY audio tracks at once, feeding into some sort of attached Pre-amp with RCA outs you could take to multiple amps, now that would be great! It would wipe out the stacks of CD players most of us have, that really don't like fog! Could you have a single PC playing 30+ Tracks, with an attached Preamp? What would it cost?

Its too late for me on this, We have been converting to Gulderfluke paybacks. This lets me zone the sound and not put "all my eggs in one basket" so to speak.

But still what is available on this front?

Thanks!

Ben
                        NETHERWORLD
                        Provided you don't want more than 8 sound channels then I cracked that issue several years ago.

A useful add on to a PC that costs about $20 is a 7.1 sound card, you can then mix your sounds to play out of any combination of the 8 output channels.

PCs have the capacity to play many sounds at the same time, I used this combination of features in Exorcist it works to great effect.

Comment

PLC E-stop clarification

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                          Networked E-Stops is an absolute NO unless you are using a network protocol thats categorized for networked E-Stops such as azibus, if you are using an E-Stop then it must be hardwired, fail safe and have a degree of redundancy.
                          Agree 100%. Sorry if it sounded like I intended to e-stop thru the PLC. We use push to activate / twist to release e-stop buttons from A/B. They have two sets of contacts. One set is a continuos loop from one e-stop to the next run thru the whole haunt. All hardwired and designed to fail safe (open w/ power off). The 2nd set of contacts are all wired individual and back to your central station. Be it a PLC or PC or even your own home made bank of lights. When one estop is hit and evrything screeches to a halt, now you know which button was hit and can immediately address the issue.
                          So the PLC or PC is monitoring the e-stop not actually breaking the connection. One thing the PLC does do though is prevent the e-stop from being re-energized after tripping until the PLC says its ok. So if you reset the twist lock button at the prop you also need to hit the master reset back at the station.

But all your points are valid. They are not cheap. They can be difficult to program if you have no experience with them. They are easy to design in up front but tougher after the fact. Believe it or not the PLC itself is pretty cheap. Depends on what you need to do. But now you need to put it in a enclosure, terminals, wires, switches, etc. Assuming your doing it all correct up to code as if you were building a piece of automation machinery now your 3-4 x's the cost of the PLC for the finished system. Ever price a good industrial quality switch? Easily $30 each. Not that you couldn't put a PLC on a piece of din rail right on the wall and it wouldn't work, just not the way you do it. Unfortunately a quality robust system costs a bit of money. We can put a touch panel color display on it so you have anice interface and don't have to program it direct but that adds big cash to the project. I can get micro displays in the $200 range but very limited functions. A 15" could go way over $1200. And if you nee da major program change you gotta call someone out to do it for ya.

For an established haunt I couldn't justify the expense. Maybe think about a cheap PC for controlling ambient lighting and sound only.

Attached are photos of my lab - well mine as in I run it, but it belongs to my employer : ) Central computer monitors individual PLCs right thru Excel. Now don't jump all over me since the PLC's aren't in enclosures. There's 48 of them so we turned the room into an enclosure by using an interlocked door.
                          Attached Files
                          Scott Ames

Comment

E-stop

Here's the e-stop button itself. There are six total wired back to the circuit breaker panel. Have panel next to CB panel with master relay that cuts power to PLC, signals master controller, and dumps air.
                            Attached Files
                            Scott Ames

Comment

Excel..... that's got to be backed by VBA code

I actually wrote a complete control package in Excel, the theory was that Excel would make a pretty familiar interface for people to do their own logic programming.

http://www.mordor.plus.com/Control.html

the latter versions of Excel control also had DMX and VSA interfacing abilities, but I never got around developing it into a distributable version.

Comment

Working...
                              X