Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertising: radio, tv, or roadside signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising: radio, tv, or roadside signs?

A lot has changed in our industry within the last 10 years. Radio used to be the way to go for haunters to reach our target audience. Last year a haunt I'm associated with spent close to $15,000.00 on radio advertising with live remotes and hundreds of commercials. After all that, I still ran into many teenagers who did not know anything about the haunt. It seems kids these days, with their Ipods, MP3s, and internet, do not listen to the radio like we did years ago. We will increase our internet advertising campaign this year but we would like to find another avenue to reach this audience. If you have had success trying something else, I would love to hear about it. Thanks

I know we had some success advertising on streaming radio online, sine it seems less people do listen to regular radio. Myspace worked out rather well too, simply by making lots of friends with the younger demographic and sending out bulletins about the haunt.
    Katie Lane
    Partner/VP
    Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
    sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

Specialized advertising is definitely the way to go!

I just left the radio industry after a 10 year run as a personality and ops director...

Listenership is WAY down! With todays world being so on demand you'll be better off thinking outside the box and you'll save a lot of money that way as well...

I'm not saying don't spend any money on radio ads... but I don't think it would be wise to blow your advertising budget on it

Just my .02
      Come see what lies BENEATH!
      www.cagleshauntedbarn.com

Comment

Boooo Radio

If you really want to get a feel for what works do your own poll. Ask people you know in your area how they get there info, Like were they hear new music , find out about new movies and local events. Every market is different. I work at a school with K - 8th graders and a high school right next to us , and when I talk to them it's not radio that they listen to. They get there info for the internet and TV. TV for us is the biggest thing we do and the most effective, THINK MOVIE TRAILERS

Comment

How about advertising before the trailers at movie theaters? I know all my local theaters offer advertising packages, no idea how much they are, but it might be somthing to look into.
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

We had looked into that a few years back and I think it was alittle high. But it also might matter what market your in.

Comment

Originally posted by Umby View Post
              Specialized advertising is definitely the way to go!
              What specifically do you mean by specialized advertising?
              I spend a lot of money on radio. 15,000 isn't a lot to spend in most markets.

TV is something I am looking to spend more on but with so many channel options, it seems difficult to figure out where to target the campaign.
              TV is expensive. Billboards are also very expensive. I did a few one year and didn't think it was worth while. Anyone else use them?

I did the movie theaters a few years ago. It's expensive considering how many people actually see it. The spots within 10 min. before the movie starts are impossible to get. Big companies like Pepsi get those. You end up running 20 or 30 min. before the start of the movie. Even if you are in 4 or 5 theaters with 10 or 12 screens each. I doubt it adds up to that many people seeing your add per dollar spent. On the other hand, movie goers are probably more likely to be haunted house customers. They do not allow you to pick and choose the movies you advertise in. At least in my experience. I dealt with Regal Cinemas.
              Last edited by Brckee1; 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM.
              Jim H
              Dark Raven Designs
              http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

We use MTv , Discovery Channel, Spike, Travel Channel , Food Network , VH1 and we have also done ABC Family. ABC Family has a cool 13 night of halloween movie thing they do and we've sponsored it, it gave us extra commercials and some cool giveaways for our haunt. These channels have some big shows that have a large age range, they have been pretty good for us.

Comment

Click thru's

Click-thru's!!!! They bring people who are searching for haunts in your area to you. Depending on how many companies have caught onto this in your area is how much you will spend. Usually around $0.08 to $0.25 per click-thru. You are actually paying that when someone clicks to your site.
                  Your demographic is in school. Find out how to get your haunt in there with them. School Newspapers, Drama seminars, Football games......down here in Texas Friday nights are huge. Have the annoucer talk about your haunt at halftime or at the end of the game.
                  Bart Butler
                  HobNob Productions
                  http://www.brainchowstudios.com

Comment

We have seen a spike in haunts advertising our custom commercials in movie theaters this year. Last year, it was mostly TV......but it looks like the tides have turned alittle.

Either way, TV or Theater.....you have to have a attention grabbing spot that will keep them in their seats. Fast paced, movie trailer style commercials are what we have switched over to and the clients and customers love them!
                    Pre-Produced and Custom Haunted Attraction TV Commercials at www.elswarro.com

Comment

The movie companies have done the work for us by designing a movie trailer formula that seems to be working really good for them. The haunt industry just needs to use that formula to sell their haunt to the customers. Our haunts are a visual experience and we need to convey what we have to offer the same way Hollywood does.

Comment

Here is my take.

Graystone
                        BillBoards-30,000.00
                        Movie Ads- 30,000.00
                        Radio-55,000.00
                        TV (Local)75,000.00
                        TV (Cable)-60,000.00
                        New Paper-25,000.00
                        Internet , Mis Ads, ect- 9000.00
                        This is what Graystone spent last year so we covered all the bases. I am sure Larry probably spends more as hes in a bigger market. Just depeneds on where your at. Whats everyone's thoughts did I spend enough? Should I have spent more? I am thinking of doubling it this year somehow I feel I am not spending enough. Shane
                        Last edited by graystone; 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

don't edit that

coffee just shot strait out my nose...Ha Ha

Damn inflation
                          in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
                          www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

Wow!

That is an expensive media market!

You are not skimping on marketing thats for sure.

Thanks

Ben
                            NETHERWORLD
                            Ben Armstrong
                            NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                            www.Fearworld.com
                            www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Alabama advertising

WTF did you buy Alabama ?

Comment

Working...