Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Source for Semi-Trailers for mobile haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Source for Semi-Trailers for mobile haunt?

Hi everyone,
    After reading the Haunt World issue with all the semi- trailer mobile haunts in it I am beginning to think it is a great idea. I wanted to know if anyone has good a source to get the trailers cheap. I have seen a few online but $5000.00 a pop is high in my book when im looking to get possably 8 to 10 of them.

thanks.
    Randell
    kellymanor.com
    www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

trailers?

How many do you want?
    Where are you located?
    Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

I am located in the Dallas area. I haven't done the lay out yet to figured out how many I really need but my guess is about 8 of the 45 ft trailers. This would be for my 2009 season. I am still in the "is it do-able" stage of the business plan.
      www.kellymanor.com - - - - - - - - www.myspace.com/kellymanor

Comment

Newspaper classifieds

aren't a good place to start. Most of the ones you find in there will be priced at close to retail, partly because they have to pay for the ad. Check the local penny saver/shopper publications, the Auto Trader (actually the Parts, Equip, and Heavy Truck Trader), craigslist and ebay with Nearest First checked on the search. Another way is to stick a flier up at truck stops, parts stores, wrecking yards, etc. The best way is to drive around industrial areas and back streets looking for lots full of them. They will often have for sale signs and don't want top dollar since those are the ones that have a lot of miles on them and are not that roadworthy any more. Hope that helps.

Comment

Try the http://www.truckpaper.com
          Look for 'Storage trailers' they are the lowest priced
          Also look for 40ft trailers, truckers don't want them
          and you can get them cheep. I got 4 for $2,500
          Gary
          Midnight Evil Productions
          www.MidnightEvil.com
          Owner/Operator of www.CoffinCreek.com/
          www.Twitter.com/CoffinCreek

Comment

hmm

Ok let me qualify my knowledge before you guys start directing people all over the world....

You really need to be careful when buying the trailers......I have seen some real junks go for big money because people have no idea what to look for.

I have been in the TRANSPORTATION line of business for over 20 years.
            I have access to trucking companies and leasing companies all over the US.
            20 foot containers....40 foot....45....48....53 what ever you want I can either give you a local contact that can help you.....or I can find away to broker the deals.

When Rocky Point closed.......I moved a bunch of stuff out of there for people
            Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

While we're at it, anyone have a good source, idea, and price expectations for storing trailers throughout the year? I'm doing about $1000 per trailer for storage on someone's property....

Thanks,
              Allan

Comment

Trailers in Texas

I have been paying $1000 per trailer but, at that price they need some work, patching roofs and missing wheels. A $5,000 trailer might have all the wheels, good tires and actually be road worthy and worth transfering the title rather than just considering them a sotrage unit.

I could but don't move the trailers I use other trucks to come get all the stuff. Labor and gas of the smaller trucks is less than cartage expenses moving each unit 4 times even just down the road.

If the haunt is going to be the trailers you are going to want to spend some money and have good ones that will last some time, be haulable, inspectable and such with little extra hassle.

Supposedly all of the big truck lots are mythologically in Carrolton Texas. Lesser expensive ones are sitting there not being advertised and someties you have to buy 3 at a time for $2500 and have extra money for the paper work. I would expect these to be nothing but storage level units.

It depends on wether it might be a trailer haunt but a semi permanent location?

Luckily my land lord is an equipment dealer and bought all of these trailers thinking they would sell easily.

Greg
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Hey Randell
                  I wrote the articles about the Trailer Haunts and I'd have to ditto what Ken and Greg stated. You can look for deals locally, but it helps if you get the same style of trailer and in the same basic shape. Don't go for the real cheap! It will just bite you in the ass later!

There are a lot of things to consider in using this style of haunt. The articles where meant to just give you an overview of the style. Anything over trailers in a specific configuration will require a sprinkler system. While this may be a cheaper style of haunt it is by no means a "cheap" haunt. Expect to spend approximately $10,000 to $15,000 at least on each trailer by the time you are done. (an additional $15-20,000 on a sprinkler)

There are advantages, I'm working on mine right now. Systems like electrical, pneumatics, emergency are installed once, the list goes on!!

Good luck
                  R&J Productions
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Carnival style dark rides

I really would like to purchase a new or used dark ride or walk through. The bigger the better. I have been to all the used equipment sites to see what is available. I want something with todays haunt industry standards and sprinkler system. I even want to buy a new partially dressed so I can install my own or certain vendors props. Has anyone have an oppinion on which company to buy from.

Comment

The main issue you will have with a carnival dark ride is through put. Only 2 people in a car, you have the time to load and unload and you only get 5 or 6 cars. Larry had one once. I think he only used it one season and sold it. You could only use it as an add on attraction and because of the lenght of it you can't charge much, combine that with the through out issue and it makes it hard just to pay back the investment. While it may be cool as a novelty, it's not practical as a money maker. Better to put in a 3D attraction or similar event. Remember a carnival ride can have almost an entire year for their season, they open every weekend in a new location. So they have at least 45 weeks to make money, you have 3. It's all in the numbers.
                      Last edited by RJ Productions; 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM.
                      R&J Productions
                      Las Vegas, NV
                      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Check these out:
                        http://www.owentrailers.com
                        Every weekend you could pull this into a parking lot somewhere.

Originally posted by The Shack View Post
                        I really would like to purchase a new or used dark ride or walk through. The bigger the better. I have been to all the used equipment sites to see what is available. I want something with todays haunt industry standards and sprinkler system. I even want to buy a new partially dressed so I can install my own or certain vendors props. Has anyone have an oppinion on which company to buy from.
                        Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

walk thru

What about the walk thru type dark ride. Has anyone delt with Sally Corp or Owens? Any others will be good also
                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X