Narnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim!!!!

Damn you LOL!!!! I knew the facts thats why I told Larry I would take his bet! Now I think Larry will back out! Larry is the bet is still on that Narnia will whip Speed Racers ass right? My guess is you want to back out on the bet. Shane
    Last edited by graystone; 05-18-2008, 08:12 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Larry

According to your analogy about movies made after LOTR, any mob movie made after the Godfather must be horrible.

Comment

Okay here is the deal...Narnia only made 56 million this weekend that is about 10 million less than the first, and after Indy gets done next weekend, I would predict that Narnia's second week take will drop to about 28 million. This movie will struggle to get to about 165 million which would be about 130 million less than the first one.

Narnia one was not good, and it will have a huge effect on this one. Additionally the first Narnia opened in the winter with less competition this one is opening in the summer so its going to get hammered.

So Shane, what do you owe me? You lost that bet. Disney was predicting the movie would open with 90 million, it fell about 35 million SHORT! As I predicted this movie would NOT do as well as the first and that has already happened. Pay up baby!

Tim,

As for Indy, if you ever read AICN you'd have seen Paramount has already done 2 or 3 screenings of this movie and all the reviews so far are bad. One of the three said it wasn't as bad as the first two reviews and said it wasn't as good as the first three. I still might go see it but it was pretty much shredded ... I've personally already read four reviews on the movie from geek type people who say its not nearly as good as the first three but we'll see. It will still do huge business.

As I said before I think the most anticipated movie of the summer is DARK KNIGHT, if not for the Joker, Heath Ledger or just a love of the first movie this is the movie everyone wants to see. The last Batman movie only made 206 million dollars... this movie will made 300 plus, and it will open up over 100 million, which would be about 50 million more than the last one.

Bring on the Joker!

As for Speed Racer this movie is a MAJOR box office bomb, but if you ask me its Warner Brothers fault for marketing this movie wrong, not the movie itself. Also they should have never opened this movie in May, this movie should have been a Christmas movie with more families seeing movies together. This is a action packed, funny, family film.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry is right it seems when comparing any movie to LOTR. Those movies were so great, so close to perfection, that all movies in that genre look bad by comparison which sucks because I like these type of movies best of all. I'm hoping The Hobbit comes out with PJ's vision and keeps that franchise going, would be good to see the Silmarillion in a movie as well.

I think movies in general took a big dive after Return of the King rans it's course. It's a tough act to follow.....

Allan

Comment

Here are the facts...

Narnia came in on the heels of LOTR, and lets be honest it wasn't very good. It came in at a very weak Christmas season and it cleaned up because of LOTR.

Now we've seen other LOTR type books make it to the theaters and they have since BOMBED. Narnia 2 is already a bomb compared to the first one, ticket prices are more than two years ago when Narnia 1 came out, so it dropped its ticket sales by a ton from the first one. They wanted 90 million for an opening and it got only 60% of that figure. It will DROP LIKE A ROCK in the second week, thanks to Indy.

From there it will just get lost... they're also releasing part 3 to that series next summer but it will do even worse.

I watch these things alot.

Shane you owe me baby...pay up!

I'll do double or nothing that it doesn't even get within 100 million of the first one...we can make it double or nothing.

And the reason it didn't do as well...because the first one blows!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Hey Tim,

BTW, Indiana Jones made its debute overseas already at Canne and it recieved according to all reports 'so-so' reaction. I think the movie will get a lot of business but so far the movie seems to be getting run through the trash compactor. I'll still go see it though.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Hellboy, Hellboy, Hellboy, Hellboy
                Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

movie debate... okay my turn.

I'm sure LotR laid the groundwork, but I ENJOYED Narnia more than LOTR. To me LOTR was boring with a lot of walking around. At least Narnia had action throughout.

Narnia>>>>>>>>>>>LOTR

Comment

I'll go see Hellboy.

As for Narnia did ANYONE actually see this movie this weekend?

Can we get an update?

As for LOTR being boring... well the last movie, the third one was so boring at the end I almost fell asleep so I'll agree with you there. But actions scenes in LOTR can be matched by no movie, especially Narnia.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Larry

Not so fast 1 my bet was that Narnia will beat Speed Racer in all sales. We wont know for a while yet on that . Also there are many many movies not opening as good as they did 2 or 3 years ago for several reasons. The internet, the price of gas was about 1.50 a few years back, lots of things have changed. even milk, bread, hell popcorn and cokes!Some families that have several kids just cant afford it now with the way the economy is now lots have changed many are staying home because they are paying out the ass to get back and fourth to work so their spending money is being burned up. So I think lots of movies will be taking in less. Anyway lets not rush things just yet Larry lets wait and see. I am betting that you will be working my box office before its all said and done! And yes I seen the movie last night it was great maybe not as good as the first for sure its a little darker but still loved it and will go see the 3rd installment! Shane
                      Last edited by graystone; 05-18-2008, 06:05 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I actually enjoyed Narnia, Prince Caspian. It is long and a little slow considering it's suposed to be more for kids. The effects, and Make-up work by Weta and KNB are awesome!
                        Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Shane,

Go back and read what I wrote, I said Narnia 2 will not make as much money as Narnia 1. I never said anything about Speed Racer beating Narnia because I know that won't happen. Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Here is a review of Indy Jones... and it says it blows!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/...fcNaKSS32s0NUE
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Here's a review from Ain't It Cool news (AICN), the site Larry referred to earlier. AICN owner Harry Knowles gave the new Indy film a rave review.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36804

His two associates also had positive things to say about the film. By the way, this site is a major fan boy site. These guys tend to be much harder on films then the general public, unless it is a super hero film - lol. Anyway, if you do a Google search on the name Indiana Jones you see that most of the reviews of the new Indy film are coming in positive.

For those interested, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian finished #1 in box office sales this weekend doing a total of $56,573,000. in 3929 theaters. Opening weekend for Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was $65,556,312 in 3606. Considering the 100+ degree temperatures out on the west coast (which kept a lot of people at home this weekend), those are excellent numbers.

As for Speed Racer, did anyone else hear that Warner Brothers lied about their opening weekend box office take on this film. Originally, Warner's said that Speed Racer had a $20,000,000. opening weekend which would put it in second place right after Iron Man. Well, that turned out to be a bunch of BS. Speed Racer actually made only $18,561,377 its opening weekend which puts it in third place... right after Ashton Kutcher's What Stays in Vegas.

Tim Turner
                              www.theghoulishgallery.com

Comment

Tim,

I don't think Warner lied, when they release estimates on Sunday they're released based on projections for Sunday's business. Actual box office info doesn't come out until Monday. When Warner reported the actual numbers on that Monday they gave the accurate info.

As for Narnia yes it was about 10 million less opening than the first Narnia, which spells doom for reaching the numbers of the original. Narnia 2 won't reach 200 and I doubt it will peak over 160, which will be about 130 less than the first one. It will NOSE dive after Indy opens this coming week.

As for Indy, if you look on that site, you'll read three other reviews that said it wasn't good at all, and if you read the post that I posted you'll read another review that spears Indy, in fact I also watched a video on Yahoo about how the movie was torpedoed at Canne last weekend.

Like I said I will go see the movie but from what I'm reading it doesn't look good but we'll see.

Now... I will predict right now Indy will gross about 100 million for Thursday through Sunday and 130 million for Thursday through Monday. It might reach as much as 150 million total for the five days. Indy will do more in on Saturday than Narnia did this whole entire weekend.

Iron Man will reach 300 million, Indy will reach 300 million and Batman will reach 300 million. Those will be the only three films to reach 300 million with Hancock having an outside shot at 300 million.

I'll make some box office predictions...

Indy 325 million

Batman 315 million

Iron Man 315 million

Hancock 250 million

Kung Fu Panda 185 million

Wall-E 175 million

Narnia 165 million

Mummy 3 135 million

Hulk 125 million

Get Smart 85 million

X Files 85 million

Hellboy 80 million

Again as for Narnia it was a movie that had a built in audience and awareness from the first film, they're suppose to make MORE money on the opening with the second one, and this one failed to hit the mark well about 40 million short of projections.

Speed Racer is another movie that didn't meet projections, coming short about 20 million on opening weekend. Both Speed Racer and Narnia will not hit projections of studios. Narnia will do better overseas than in the US, and Speed Racer will do awesome in Japan and South Korea, helping the movie make a profit. Speed Racer will also probably do awesome in DVD, and its toy line. Speed Racer started life as a Japanese cartoon so it should make a lot of money there.

United States is the #1 film market followed by Japan, followed by England.

Those are the big three...

We'll see how it all plays out for sure!

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X