Salem Mass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem Mass.

I am visiting Salem Mass. for the first time this October and would like some tips from anyone here who has been there and would like to share his/her knowledge with me. I know this place is crawling with tourist trap type places and hope to avoid as many of these as possible. What are the truly great places to visit while there? Are there any haunts in the area I might want to catch? Thanks in advance for any and all help with my upcoming trip!!!

We also are interested in going to Salem this October and want to check out Spookyworld too. I've never been to Salem but my son has. We'd like to make a daytrip and do the Salem part during the day and Spookyworld (love you John!) and maybe another haunted attraction at night. I've been working these trips for ourselves and friends and family for a few years now. Last year, we rented a passenger van and took 12 people to Eastern State Penn and Bates Motel. Any advice on a Salem trip is appreciated.

Day

Comment

How far is Spookyworld from Salem, anybody know?

Comment

Originally posted by variant_cover View Post
        How far is Spookyworld from Salem, anybody know?
        I'd say 45mins. It varies with traffic conditions obv. I def. recommend visiting during the season though, so good call on going in October. You may want to check out Terror on the Wharf and Myths and Monsters, both haunts on Pickering Wharf. There are also "real" ghost walks and tours at night

There's a New England Haunter's Gathering in Salem coming up in August that me and my friend are going to, so we're hoping to hit some attractions while we're there.

BTW, terror on the wharf is made by the same guy who runs spooky world now. I think it's John Denley????
        Slash
        "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Be sure and check out Nightmare New England if you are in the area this October, we are 1 hour and 10 minutes from Salem.

www.nightmarenewengland.com

Take care,

Tattoo
          Last edited by Tattoo; 05-26-2008, 08:53 PM.
          Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

Salem MA

I live in Danvers, the town over from Salem. From what I can see Terror on the Wharf at the Museum of Myths and Monsters is closed, the sign is gone, the lobby is empty, and the building is up for rent. Not sure if they are relocating, or just closing for good. Other than that the attractions in Salem are not really worth the trip. There is the Haunted Witch Village which has been exactly the same since it opened. And there is the Nightmare Museum which is nothing special either. The atmosphere is great in Salem though, and there are some great historic attractions, but I wouldnt go expecting to be blown away by the haunts. If your used to attractions like The Eastern State Penn, and The Darkness, and McCurdy's Haunted Mansion, you will be very disapointed.

Spooky World is worth the trip though, althought it would be much better if it were not all indoors, but that is easy to get over. There is also a place called Witch's Woods at the Nashoba Valley Ski Area, about an hour from Salem that is pretty good as well, they have several walk through attractions, indoors and outdoors, as well as a hayride. From what I hear Nightmare New England is gonna ROCK, and I cant wait to check that out this year myself. Hope this helps a little.
            The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the information! Wondering if it would be possible to hit BOTH Spookyworld AND Nightmare New England in the same night???? LOL! Probably damn near impossible! LOL! We want to see them both but it's a 5 or 6 hour driver for us and with the price of gas, I'd like to only make the trip once. Course, I could VIP one of them....
              Any other info or suggestions are certainly welcome

Day

Comment

Haunts near Salem MA

Come on up to NH and visit fellow haunters in our NH Haunted House Association we are all around and hour or less from Salem.

Our association site is here http://www.nhhaunts.com/main.htm

If you visit my shows "Fright Kindom" please be sure to tell the cashier to radio me when you arrive and I will give you the VIP tour.

Happy Haunting
                Tim
                www.frightkingdom.com
                Tim Dunne
                www.FrightKingdom.com
                Proud Member of the HHA
                www.HHAssociation.com

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I will be getting to Salem on Friday and leaving Sunday so I should be able to hit at least 2 haunts. Spookyworld is a definate as my wife hasn't been since they moved (she went often growing up) and I haven't been at all! This is shaping up to be an excellent weekend of Haunting!

Comment

Spookyworld

You won't be disapointed then as Spookyworld with celebrate the return of the hayride!!! As for Terror on the Wharf..it is to be relocated in the Essex St. area of Salem with all new exhibits!
                    Visit us at www.boneyardproductions.com

Comment

Whats up JD? Hope all is well with everything. When is the next concert, I've been waiting for a while now? That is great news about the museum, cant wait to check this one out too. That area is much more populated during the season anyway, so I'm sure it will be a great success! So good luck with that! I do have one very important question though. Will the dancing and singing pickel animation still be one of the featured scenes in the new Terror on the Wharf? Oh where is my hairbrush! Cant wait to see the new Spookyworld Hayride too. Lots of stuff to look forward to this October!
                      Justin
                      The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived.

Comment

I've been to Salem both in season and out of season. You can't beat the ambiance of visiting Salem during October. There's something in the air there. The place just oozes spookiness. If you can, try one of the ghost tours. The crowds are thick with tourists in October. So, if youre looking to hit the usual tourist attractions (Witch's Dungeon, Witch Museum, etc.) have patience.

As others have mentioned, the haunts that operate in Salem during the season aren't much. Spookyworld is defintely worth the trip though.

Enjoy your trip.

Ted

www.thewailstreetjournal.net

Comment

Haunts in Salam

In addition to visiting the new Terror on the Wharf and Sppookyworld (of coarse) ...I would highly recomend checking out Count Orlocks Nightmare Gallery on Derby St. (#258 I think) In Salam. The owner is a Hauntworld member/good guy and has an incredible collection of awesome full size horror figures and they are all displayed in some sweet movie quality sets.

Tim
                          www.frightkingdom.com
                          Tim Dunne
                          www.FrightKingdom.com
                          Proud Member of the HHA
                          www.HHAssociation.com

Comment

The question is....

What can I and a tour group of 20 or so get done in ONE DAY? Therein lies the conundrum. Like I said, it's a 5 hour trip and I want my group to get to see part of Salem during the day and one or 2 attractions at night. SpookyWorld is a definite. Is there time for anything else?

Day

Comment

Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery

Hello Future Salem Visitors!

I think that other guy must have been talking about "Nightmare Factory" which is different. Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery is a new attraction which hasn't stopped changing and rotating collections since we opened in Sept of '07. If you love horror movies, this is the place for you. This place was built by horror fans, for horror fans and I guarantee hauntworld people will love it! I will say that it is a MUSEUM and therefore people who are looking for a haunted house will obviously not be scared but it is Creepy! Nightmare Gallery will change to a haunted house on the weekends in October. We're looking forward to that! It's an easy conversion. So, if you're planning a trip, call ahead or stop on by and visit us. See ya soon!

James Lurgio
                              aka Count Orlok
                              www.nightmaregallery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X