Just wondering......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravestalker,

I agree with you completely! MHC has carved out a niche that we saw. There is a market for people who have definite plans/needs once they start planning for the upcoming season hence the large cash and carry business that is transacted here.

If nothing else the upcoming few years will be very interesting for our industry. Either way, plan on coming back to Columbus next June 5-7.

Comment

Awesome, a week earlier too.
      Thanks, Jeff
      www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
      www.HauntForum.com
      www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Barry,

Let me answer your question in two ways...

RESPONSE FROM THE BUYER SIDE OF MY BUSINESS:

I would never wait until June to buy. I would never got to MHC to buy in June or from any other show. We start planning our haunted house in October when we are looking at it on a daily basis. You really see what you like and don't like when you look it every single night.

Additionally, we unlike most do not wait around from even the Transworld show to build our haunt. We start building it and work on the attraction during open spots from building attractions for our clients. We could be working on our haunt in Decemeber just depends how busy we are.

Additonally I don't want to go to a show to see a vendors two booth exhibit I want to see their 10 booth exhibit. At these smaller shows the vendors bring smaller items, and that is of no interest to me. If your show was the main show, and Scarefactory as an example was coming with 20 booths I would come.

If Scarefactory said they're going to your show with 2 booths I would not come.

Secondly by the time June rolls around even new vendors who you might buy a little something from has already posted on forums like these and I already heard or seen their product on their website.

I wouldn't want to go to a show just to see their one booth with their one cool product...that is why they have a website.

I will give you an example... Skull Tronix. They posted their new talk bust after TW, I saw that I loved it, I had to have it...I called them and bought it. I do not need to travel to a tradeshow to buy it.

I will go to a tradeshow if I can see EVERYTHING IN ONE PLACE...

I'm offering my views on what it will take to get me to a how with my check book. If that show was yours, if your show became the haunt only show, and all of these vendors came to your show with all of their booths I would come and so would everyone else.

If that is your goal that is what you would have to accoplish to make it happen.

I think most buyers would agree.

Right now it doesn't seem we have a show so maybe your show will be THE SHOW... and if that happened I would be there with bells on.

RESPONSE AS A VENDOR...

I would not attend a smaller show because time is money. Even if I went to a smaller show and made a profit it took me away from my shop where I make product, or fill orders, or even talk business. Making a small profit isn't always worth what you lose from being away from filling existing orders.

People sometimes learn this the hard way I know I have.

I'm sure if I would have come to your show I'm sure I could have sold some videos, some magazines, and maybe some banners but the time away from the shop would more than make it a loss for us.

You must get a large percentage of industry buyers to support large booth or bring out major vendors.

NOW...

To do that you must spend a massive amount of money on marketing. I did some figures and a haunt only show to bring in real buyers from everywhere would cost around $40,000 to $60,000.00 dollars.

Also you would have to move the show into March or even sooner.

As it stands now almost ALL MAJOR VENDORS want a show in January.

Let me make a Hanfodamous prediction here...

There will eventually be a haunt only show and the show will happen in January or February NOT March.

I will make one more... Transworld will move their main show in 2010 and it will not be in March but in February. This industry both retail and haunt needs more production time not less.

June is too late. May is too late. April still too late. March now well basically still too late.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Barry,

To answer your other question...

I feel a foilage company at a major haunt show would write 50k in orders and ultimatly for the year through the leads they gained would sell more than $250,000.00 in product if not a half a million.

I know our company alone wrote $30,000 in orders with Autograph Foilage ourself in one years time.

It doesn't take too many attractions at 3k here or 5k there or 8k there to add up quick.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

Larry,
            Thank you for the responses. Towards the first response, as I mentioned, MHC found a niche and it has been successful. It was never targeted at the major haunts but more at the people who could not afford to go, or who were not welcome at, Transworld. So I understand your position. As for the timing, that is the tricky part. A lot of haunt vendors say January, and even February, is too early. If the "major vendors" need an earlier show they should consider doing a showcase type event and fly in their major buyers.

Towards the second response, thank you for your buying numbers. I would like to know if anyone else reading this thread buys in that quantity from a foliage vendor. I am trying to gauge how seriously I should try recruiting other types of vendors.
            Last edited by Barry; 06-21-2008, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Larry

Besides transworld and IAAPA, have you ever been a vendor at another trade show, and how did you fare?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                Larry,
                Thank you for the responses. Towards the first response, as I mentioned, MHC found a niche and it has been successful. It was never targeted at the major haunts but more at the people who could not afford to go, or who were not welcome at, Transworld. So I understand your position. As for the timing, that is the tricky part. A lot of haunt vendors say January, and even February, is too early. If the "major vendors" need an earlier show they should consider doing a showcase type event and fly in their major buyers.

Towards the second response, thank you for your buying numbers. I would like to know if anyone else reading this thread buys in that quantity from a foliage vendor. I am trying to gauge how seriously I should try recruiting other types of vendors.
                I would spend a few thousand with a foliage company. I doubt I would ever spend 30K but my haunt isn't as big.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Lord Have Murcy!!!!

For the love of Pete would someone please find a foliage company heck I will even pay the booth rent. Lord forbid if we leave any folage company out that has already had the chance to show but none of them thinks its worth their time!!!! Ken? Tater? Nut? Bama? Paul? Anyone? can I get an AMEN! Shane
                  Last edited by graystone; 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Shane,

Are you saying you would like info on where to find a foliage company?

I posted a URL to their website address.

Other than that I can see you are back in full force!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Learn to Spell Shane

fo·li·age / Show Spelled Pronunciation[foh-lee-ij] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
                      –noun 1. the leaves of a plant, collectively; leafage.
                      2. leaves in general.
                      3. the representation of leaves, flowers, and branches in painting, architectural ornament, etc.
                      Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Matt

Sorry I am not up to your grammer standards. Next time I post I will get up with you and make sure its to your approval. I think you may be trying for the position of hall monitor of HauntWorld. Then again maybe your vying for a teaching position here. Matt nothing personal next time instead of trying to correct my spelling do as I did and show an opinion on the topic. Whether I agree or not I will respect you more for giving your opinion on a topic rather than try to correct me like a child. And this is coming from one man to another. Shane
                        sigpic

Comment

Matt

Nice cut and paste, I wish you were this articulate in person Matt!><

Comment

That's My New Favorite word!

"Farticulate" Seems to glue the word "Fart" to the word "Particle".
                            I hate it when I Fart Particles
                            ("Schrapnel!")!
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

hmm

Jim......

as long as you don't shart....I think you will be ok!

AMEN BROTHER SHANE!!
                              Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Well it could get better for one of us..this weeks offering will be donated to Mr. Tuxedo's illegitimate love-child Sparky, send the box full of money to :
                                Ravens Grin
                                411 N. Carroll St.
                                Mutt Carnal, Ilinioids
                                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X