Tribute for Father's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute for Father's Day

Hi haunters, I know this is totally off topic, but I wouldn't be where I am now without my father. W.J. Harkleroad Jr. Everybody called him Dub. He was a monument dealer, he sold, carved, and erected monuments, and owned a cemetery. Probably what got me started. Although he dealt in that slightly macabre business, he was the coolest, most honest, funny, and loving man you could meet.

He's been gone 18 years, I think about him everyday, and I miss him dearly. I was blessed with a wonderful father, and I hope you were too. Tomorrow's Father's day, I would like to learn about some of the other Father's of the Forum members.

Happy Father's Day HauntWorld.

Timmy
    KroneDaddy's Daddy
    Attached Files
    Hauntus Emeritus
    Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
    Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

That is an awesome photo!!! Happy Fathers Day!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks buddy, you too! Hope your family is well Larry.

BTW - My son, Martin, is 16 now and is shredding Heavy Metal on guitar, starting a band. Sarah, my little girl is 12. I am blessed.

(He's pretty damn good on the guitar BTW.)

Timmy
      KroneDaddy
      Hauntus Emeritus

Comment

My Father was the type of a person and businessman that was sorely missed by a great number of people when he died, the minister even sort of scoulded people at his funeral for taking advantage of my father's "Christian" nature of helping those who were not financially able to afford to call someone else to fix their furnace in the middle of a cold, snowy winter night.
        He was also a "work-a-holic" by anyone's standards, he enjoyed himself , in his work.
        He was an athlete in high school exceling in track, football,(Playing on an undefeated team for two years) basketball and complimenting the old maid math teacher so she would provide the grades needed to remain on the team! "Nice dress you have on today, Miss Grundy!"
        ("Miss Grundy" only had two print dresses!)
        My Dad was always looking for the humor in this life. When it wasn't there he would sometimes do a practical joke on someone, often a really strange thing ,totally unexpected.
        Even when the ladder slipped out from under him as he was painting his own house, mangling his ankle neeeding steel pins and costing him a year of his life, as the neighbor ran across the street and came to his side, my Dad asked him if he had seen the Chief of Police running away from the ladder? (The Chief was not one of my Dad's friends at all.)
        My Dad did set numerous good examples of how to be, work and look at things in life that sure helped me in any successes I may have ever had.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

That IS a great pic and great memory. Hope everyone has a great Father's Day! My husband has reservist/guard duty this weekend and it's a readiness inspection drill meaning 12 hr shifts on his air refueling base.

Today he did a 2p.m. to 2a.m. and tomorrow from 11a.m. to 11p.m. so our father's day will be Sunday morning before he leaves for drill. That is no sacrifice when you consider the thousands of fathers who are deployed overseas away from their families right now... think of them too this father's day.

Our daughter and I will be spending the rest of the day at my parents with extended family for BBQ. My Dad is 85, looks 60 and health-wise he's probably healthier than me (who's 33)... yes, my parents had us LATER in life - we kept them youg. My father truly is the first true man I met. I get emotional when I think of how blessed we are that my parents have their first grandchild, our daughter who is 2. I love watching them together. This December we are all going to Disney - I'm more excited for this than anything - seeing my parents experience it with her. Gia and her "Poppa" are best friends - it's awesome.
          Last edited by Nicole; 06-14-2008, 10:05 PM.
          Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
          The White Star Farm
          "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

Happy Fathers day!

My Dad is a great guy, but also he can be crazy too!!! He was in the 101st airborne in Vietnam and has was pretty much a brawler before and after that and nothing scares him. I've seen my Dad fight at least 6 times, how many people can say that!!!!(professional fighters excluded that is)

But he's always there when I need him and with the haunt long after everyone else has gone home or done for the season he is there helping us out. There is still so much about him I don't know, he is a quiet guy who doesn't bring up the past much but I know he was a star athlete, especially a great Quaterback in High school in Atlanta heavily recruited by major Universities. He is also a pool shark and used to hustle people as well in basketball on the courts, and in that case the acorn didn't fall too far from the tree! But he is a great father, instilled a hard work ethic and strong morals in us. He was determined for my 2 brothers and I not to make the same mistakes that he did, and he was pretty successful in doing that.

I'm glad he's still with us and I hope we have many more years to enjoy. I'm sure any of you who's father has passed on would agree that it's all too important to enjoy the time you have with each other while you can....

Happy Fathers Day!

Allan

Comment

Happy Fathers day to u all(well the dads on here).
              Enjoy ur family when u can...weather it be ur dad or ur kids......Peace out,
              go enjoy family time with your father or ur kids! HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

Comment

My father is single handedly responsible for setting me on the "fright" path as it were. He taught me at a young age that homemade can usually be better. All of my halloween costumes were formulated with imagination and ingenuity. I vividly remember him molding a "Freddy" mask onto my face with aluminum foil, bread bags, and some hot glue. When he was done, it was superior to any of the off the shelf masks you could buy. He also instilled in me a love of Science Fiction, Horror, and reading in general. He recently gave me his entire collection of Famous Monsters of Filmland and I am now pouring through each issue in my spare time. Thanks Dad for being a great role model, father, and friend!

Comment

Originally posted by variant_cover View Post
                  He recently gave me his entire collection of Famous Monsters of Filmland
                  Dude you are SO lucky! I read mine to death. FM was the thing that probably led me to haunting. My Dad, like yours, also taught me to build it myself, whatever "it" was.

K-Daddy
                  Enjoying Father's Day
                  Hauntus Emeritus

Comment

My Father was part of the greatest generation. He fought in World War II as a bombardier in the Air Force. Several years after the war he went to work for Walt Disney at his studios in Burbank CA as film editor. I remember when I was 4 my Mom and I taking my Dad to work and actually meeting Mr. Disney face to face. It is a memory I will always cherish. My Father passed away the day after 87th birthday in 2006. I miss him very much and feel so proud and fortunate to have had him as my Father.

Happy Fathers Day everyone.

David Love
                    Hollow 3D Productions

Comment

Working...
                    X