Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable (yet sturdy) Flat Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable (yet sturdy) Flat Alternatives?

With gas prices and other items going up, I've noted the increase in lumber prices lately. Though much of our sets are outdoors and require treated lumber to avoid warping and mold...any suggstions for materials to make flats that are lighter, cheaper and still pretty strong?

IN our new location we have three outdoor kitchens with roofs on them that would allow flats to stay dry; we could use particle board but maybe there's a better way. Any suggestions on indoor flat materials that aren't plywood...yet still hold up to the rigors of a haunt?

Mephisto
    Dark Hollow Haunted Forest
    www.DarkHollowHaunt.com
    DARK HOLLOW HAUNTED FOREST
    www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

If you have a haunt with more lights on and put small groups through you can get away with using thinner wall materials, unless you startle them into a weak wall.
    Build thick, strong walls where you are scaring them.
    I have had wall material as thin as 1/8th of an inch last for many years, lights up, groups small, controllable.
    I would often write funny things on the wall, maybe people were too busy reading the wall to destroy it? Or too busy trying to figure out what I meant?
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Pig fence
      Jute netting in timber
      landscape cloth
      Drums and barrels all screwed together
      Real trees
      Used crating from China
      Old cars or hearses and trucks or buses with no gas tanks
      Tarps painted like circus signage
      Used metal buildings salvaged
      chain link fence

Depends on what is industrial waste material in your area?
      PVC sheets, sheet metal, fiberglass panels, tar paper shacks, log cabins, bottles all cemented together? Dryer lint and acrylic resin? Old walk in coolers? Piles of dirt or real rocks.

Each situation is different. In these days it might infact be cheaper to buy new from Home Depot than spend $50 a day in gas getting crap from somewhere. Sometimes free costs more than new but it has the look you want.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
      X