Year 2 pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year 2 pressure

Last year I ran a small haunted house for our town's youth club to raise funds. Now we are gearing up for year two and I am feeling the pressure to step it up.

Year 1 - planned it for about 4 weeks, set up in 3 days, operated it for 2, crashed and stored it all in one day. 700 people attended, we made money, it took about 15 minutes to get through. 100% volunteers. No animitronics, totally actor dependent. We charged $5 and we had an absolute blast pulling it off. It was run in the club which was completely up to code for fire safety. Sprinklers, extinguihsers, marked exits, emergency lighting.

Now year 2 - I have secured a 40,000 sq ft warehouse for free from a former club member who is now a business man in town. Of course I want to use every inch.

My concerns are many.

1. I need more haunt ideas fast, i want to start building now, especially since we can store items in this building

2. It needs to be scarier, We went for PG-10 last year, but I think we were PG-6. I want to ramp it up

3. Most important, how do I make it safe.

4 I need a cheap wall for the maze. Last year we used black vinyl that was donated from an RV seat supplier (so it was already flame retardant) and we stapled it to 2x4 frames 8 foot long and 6.5 feet high. We have 50 of those, but to do what I want to do this year, we will need 250.

Where are you located? There might be all sorts of things sitting around resource wise.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Warsaw, Indiana. North central part of state between South Bend and Ft. Wayne

Comment

Warsaw is between Germany and Russia. A very scary location around 1939.
        Actually, unmatchable.
        Did you get many complaints last season for it not being scary enough?
        I would think twice about changing it too much, you now may have the beginning of a pool of happy customers who like what you did for them last time.
        Advertisng it as being more scary will cost money. If this is what you personally want and need think about operating two different shows at once with certain things not happening for the nervous groups, just flick off a light switch, close a door and hide the potentially offending item from the whole group.
        "One size doesnot fit all." Never has.
        Maybe advertise the real scary tours after 9:30 or 10:00? That usually seems to be close to the time the drunks stagger up to our ticket window.
        Maybe this is why some charity haunts close at 9:30? (Around here, anyway)

..oh, yes, if you are new to haunting..some people will complain that it wasn't scary enough even though you might have them on video tape screaming like a little girl....and they are a big man.
        Last edited by Jim Warfield; 06-20-2008, 03:58 PM.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
        X