Midwest Haunters Convention - Industry Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maddi!!!!!

Jason must be proud! That was a awsome post it just goes to show you that yes we are all professionals. But given that we are more than professionals weither we are vendors, buyers, actors, managers or what ever the case we are a family in an industry where we should not judge ourselves or others for what part they may play in this industry. We all have something to offer again it doesn't matter if your the owner, the vendor or the actor we all should be allowed to be able to express ourselves at these shows for the people we are and thats each and everyone. Without my crew I am just the owner. Without my actors I am just the owner. Without my customers I am again just the owner. I am so much more with what everyone brings to me. I cannot stand alone. And do not wish to see anyone of these hard working people labeled as somthing as a distraction at these shows. They are part of my family and would hope they are part of your family. Weither or not they work for me at my haunt they are part of this industry and part of the hauntworld. Guys I am honored at what each and everyone of you bring to this industry. I ask all others to do the same! Shane
    sigpic

Comment

Maddi - applause, applause, applause!
      Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

I think some of these concerns were addressed in post-TW reports. If I recall, some vendors said that it looked like they opened the doors to just anybody the last couple of days. Lots of catalogs given out, but probably very few orders from them. And some buyers said that a couple of vendors were so busy talking to other people (didn't say whether they actually bought anything) that they couldn't take their order.

Now I don't think that anyone wants to chase off current or future buyers, or to limit entrance to only those who have filled out a credit report, but bumping up attendance numbers at a trade show with anyone who passes by isn't right either. If you only have one or two people working in a booth, you would hate to find at the end of the day that you had the bad luck of talking to only people who weren't buyers and never actually made any sales at all.

I think this is another of those threads that went off-topic (sorry for my part in that). I hope to someday soon be able to make it that far east for the show, and I know I will have a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Patti Ludwinski View Post
          Chris ALWAYS has great posts...Thanks!

Some of the outrageousness is amazing and can be viewed as educational for costuming and face-painting purposes. However, some is soooo over-the-top that it could devalue our industry.

I will say this...It might not keep the buyers out (as Chris posted), but some of the outrageousness WILL keep new vendors out.
          Why do you look at folks in costume/make-up on the show floor as a threat or a potential detractor for future vendor participation? This so-called “outrageousness” is merely the nature of the Haunt business and those people who are being so “outrageous” are just emulating the essence of the Haunt Industry. If you are damning people in costume, then what about the bloody displays of corpses on the show floor? If you ask the average Joe, I think they would agree that a few people walking around in costume aren’t nearly as disturbing as the various displays of bloody body parts and entrails that adorn many of the vendor booths. If something is going to dissuade future vendors, it would be the general nature of the business and NOT a few people walking around in make-up. LOL

And about those people who are so “outrageous”.. LOL. What is your opinion of Rex Hamilton, Jeff Glatzer, Geoff Beck and Ben Armstrong? Are they also among those ruining the Industry, as you suggested in your previous post? They, along with many others, are industry veterans and regularly dress up for these conventions. Do you think that anyone reading this post has anything but the utmost respect for these individuals? Are you suggesting that the sight of these Industry veterans in costume would cause potential vendors boycott a convention? That is just absurd! Costuming and creating interesting characters is just part of the business. The Haunt Industry may not be as conservative as other sectors in the business world, but it is what it is. Sorry, but you’ll just have to learn to deal with that fact.

Originally posted by Killer Katie View Post
          Maddi - applause, applause, applause!
          I second the motion. I think that said it all. Awesome post Maddi.

Originally posted by maddi005 View Post
          this is an interesting thread...so i think i will post a few thoughts...i dont have a single complaint at all about MHC...it is the best show for us in my opinion...we dont have to drain our bank account to attend, and we dont have the headaches of union workers sucking out the remaining change from our pockets when we get there...pound for pound MHC is just as good if not better than TW...it just isnt as big...YET!!!!
          There is no doubt that MHC was outstanding and has grown over the years.

the social aspect of the show is one of the great attractions...and do we forget the huge party we used to have at the crown every year...i cant tell you how many times i have struck up a conversation with someone at the party while drinking a beer, and the next day they show up at the booth to buy a product...or talk to a customer on the show floor, and then sit down and discuss business at the party...it is the comradery off the show floor that can help make sales..is it always necessary, no...but it is nice to get to know your customers on a more personal level...i also have done bookings for my seasonal acting/seminars during the party...it is called networking...
          I know for a fact that I have stated a similar point on this message board, only to have it ignored by everyone. LOL. The “big business” folks seem to complain about all the social aspects of Haunter Conventions, but they don’t realize that such gatherings (as Maddi stated) are an excellent networking opportunity and can often result in acquiring new customers. Have you ever heard of a serious business men doing business on the golf course? It happens all the time! The same thing applies with the “Crowne Party”, “MHC Masquerade Ball” or any of the gatherings’ social functions. It just amazes me how so many people in this Industry think that conventions have to be so prim and proper, in order to make sales. It’s ridiculous. If you ask me, there are a lot of people in this Industry who take themselves wwwwwaaaayyyyyyyyyy too seriously. Get over yourselves! If you just loosen up a bit, you’ll realize that you don’t have to be in a tuxedo to conduct business.

the other stuff (ie makeup wars and body art) also adds to the environment...we as artists are looking for ways to better ourselves all the time...to find more creative, time saving, and efficient ways of doin things and what better way than through competition...it is amazing what you can pick up by watching people use very little in way of materials to make some pretty cool effects...and the body art brings in a whole seperate group of folks that help us realize what can be accomplished with a good set of paints...i see wolf bros and graphtobian makeup used in several different haunts...
          the MHC show does indeed put viable customer in our booth, and has consistantly for years...i say whatever the producers (kelly, neena, bary and kathy) are doin, please keep on doin it!!! if we lose all the fun aspects of the haunt industry, we might as well just become another boring business convention filled with suits and fake smiles...in short it would become dryer than a popcorn fart...
          the above expressed view and opinions are mine and mine alone..nuff said

maddi poole
          Again, I agree. These social events like makeup wars allow all of us to learn and grow. Instead of complaining about it,. why not embrace what we have. I guess some people are just natural-born complainers and nay-sayers. LOL.
          Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
          Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Adam

Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen oh yes and last long Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! Shane
            sigpic

Comment

It's not how we perceive ourselves, it's how the entertainment world in general perceives us. We embarrass ourselves as an industry every chance we get it seems. In many, not all cases we can come off as unprofessional, uneducated and dare I say unattractive. The truth hurts but it is the truth. And I've had this discussion with many haunters out there who agree and but might rather remain quiet on the topic. Black T shirts, mohawks, piercings all over the place, multi colored died hair styles, and the obvious inablilty to dress for their body type is what can easily be seen at Transworld. There is a large sect of haunters who fall into this class, but there are just as many who do not but they are not what people think of when they think of haunters, it was the aforementioned.

I did this experiment already by asking different demographics in male and female and when asked what they would picture for the appearance of a haunted house owner it was less than flattering nearly everytime. Of course, my own venture into this test study is hardly a scientific fact but it taught ME a lot. Try it for yourself. Also, when I would meet with potential sponsors and media partners for the first time I asked them what they expected to see when my wife and I met them for the first time, again the results were the same, but stated in a more tasteful manner.

You mention the social activities are great for social networking, and I for the most part beg to differ. Half are actors or staff, who do not fully understand the business challenge running a successful haunt themselves. Also, it's going to be slightly more difficult to carry a real, professional business conversation with someone who is drinking alcohol by the gallon while enveloped in face paint and costuming. I've seen and heard plenty of these great social networking opportunities when people arrive back home and brag on message boards like a juvenile about how drunk they got partying like we're still in high school. That's not cool, it's not funny and it's not professional networking. I'm sorry if I am coming off so negatively but it seems like no one else ones to state the obvious so I will take the lead here. You can sugar coat it and go the PC route but at the end of the day like Patti said Coke and Pepsi and the like will continue to ignore us as an industry. You may say that's fine, and that's OK because we are weird and different, but I pride myself on growing my business and changing negative perceptions then my wierdness...

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
                Black T shirts, mohawks, piercings all over the place, multi colored died hair styles, and the obvious inablilty to dress for their body type...
                Hahaha... "Carnies... Small hands... Smell like cabbage..."

Damn, sounds like someone's got a case of the Nazis. Sorry that not everyone has the ability and/or desire to be as beautiful, knowledgeable, and sober as you and your wife, MDK. I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight. SIEG HEIL!
                Last edited by actiondeath; 06-29-2008, 07:44 PM.
                To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

King

Good Gosh man we play with body parts, dead bodies, and crazy clowns. Your post did nothing for you. Shane
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, did I hit the Actiondeath, I mean, nail on the head or what? I fail to see the correlation between my post and Adolf Hitler and Nazis don't twist my words and my intent. Also, I never mentioned beauty or myself and wife's appearance I merely stated that we do not fall in the desciption outlined in my last post below. It's not about being physically attractive, it's about keeping your appearance attractive and professional for business sake. As for having Knowlege and being sober, most everyone has the ability, but many lack the desire. Sleep well!

Allan

Comment

Shane,

Exactly, we play with body parts and dress up in costumes all October long. EVERYONE knows we do this and we have a fun career, it's duely noted by all. Which is why I say leave it at home our out of professional tradeshows do we have to be all scary all the time? We all know what we do just because we get together does that mean we have to start acting and scaring each other? If a team of football players meet in the off season doing a charity event or public showing are they going to pack their pads and break into a full contact game everywhere they go? Of course not. Why do we have to remind ourselves every function that we are the ones who scare people each fall?

Allan

Comment

Suits ? Aren't costumes the suits of our industry?

Suits ? Aren't costumes the suits of our industry?

First, Every one of us started out in haunting first, then some of us found the business aspect of it, too. I have seen nearly all of the owners of the big thirteen haunts (as they promote themselves) at many of these events, and all of them have been in jeans and t-shirts despite many of them being million dollar gross business owners. Larry has many aspects of his businesses ( and has successfully expanded in many ways) and is now into the "BUSINESS" look fashion since he also deals with that type of people, including the big parks. So, when in Rome ... and as he should.

Second, It really upsets me to have a critic, be it of restaurants, of cars, or haunt shows, to give expert opinion on something they have not been to or experienced.

I myself have attended IAAPA (twice), Hauntcon (once), Midwest Haunters Convention (three times), Transworld ( 14 times), EasternHC (none).

At every one we attended, I saw business being conducted. TW saw an opportunity years ago to make more money by doing haunt stuff as well as halloween costumes and party favors, so they started a haunt show and did haunt seminars. TW didn't start the Crowne Plaza, the haunters did. The local haunts started the off-season openings to make off-season money, and at 2008 TW, Larry and his partners did a tour in Vegas as well. At TW there is actually a pre-show showing for at least one of the two big costume store franchisees (Halloween Express) by many of the costume companies, and I would assume they do the same for the other franchise company. TW has many companies hiring models (wonderful for the eyes) to display their costumes and in fact do a costume/fashion show of their own. The food is sponsored by big guys and cash bar after two drinks. And the intent is to sell costumes, but at that one I would say it is mostly a networking social (like MHC's).

IAAPA has many after show hospitality rooms/parties going, but they are selective to the potential customers with invitations. They do behind the scenes tours of the theme parks (hmm, sound familiar). They have an industry awards program (hmm familiar again). They also have numerous hospitality rooms divided by industry (haunters pavilion comes to mind here). They charge to get in, and welcome kids because every ride, concession stand, food vendor, and arcade give FREE samples out. They ride company people especially like the kids to try the rides out so potential customers can see and hear the excitement generated. Obviously IAAPA is the the big guy in shows, but they welcome all: from the mom and pop who have either a concession trailer, family entertainment center, or haunt; all the way up to the Disney, Universal, and Six Flags employees and executives. The booths are arranged with one side having rides and the other everything else. You can buy from Muncie Tickets at one booth, step next door to American Specialty Insurance, step next door again to Gold Medal concession machines, Step next door again to Pop Weaver popcorn, next booth might be a design firm that has and could design a whole amusment park, and this mix of booths goes on all the way through the show.

Hauntcon and MHC have excelled in the seminars and tour for haunters since they are not splintered by many industries attending. They have done well with the vendors as well. Keep in mind the companies that need the lead time to either wait for the slow boat from China (hate that country) or in order to build the awesome animatronics are not there because of the time of year some of the shows are held.

We have bought, previewed /bought later, and networked for business at EVERY show we have attended.

Obviously with TW and the costume industry in a very familiar split (IAHA / HHA comes to mind) for the near future, there will be some uncertainty and opportunity coming.

Whoever is to be successful in a show needs to remember NOT to ostricize potential vendors and/or customers.
                        Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                        Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
                          do we have to be all scary all the time?
                          The question you need to ask is, is it really scary? I mean, you do realize it's not real, correct? Millions of dollars have been made because someone somewhere thought... "Hmmm... Fear has some real potential". Are you really that dense to think that the sponsors you want to appeal to are that concerned with your appearance? You said yourself that they met with you, thinking they were going to meet with some kind of poorly dressed 'unattractive' abomination.

I know playhouse actors and administrators who meet with potential sponsors INTENTIONALLY in chatacter because THAT IS WHAT THEY DO. That is their passion. Are you ashamed of it? I really don't understand.
                          To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

I applaud you, Allan. Thank you for your posts. It's difficult for sure to post your opinion in a forum where there's so many who are only out to criticize and crucify.
                            Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                            www.HauntWorld.com
                            www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                            www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com
                            It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

What I find dense is one who fails to see the big picture. One who revels in being different for the sake of being different. I also find a person dense who thinks that professionlism or lack thereof has an effect on what you achieve in the real world.

Allan
                              Last edited by MDKing; 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kindly Patti. Having even one person who might agree agree means a lot. Around here to show respect for leadership and success of a fellow haunter equates you to a follower. And to attempt to shed light on major and underlying issues effecting us all brands you a nazi....

Allan
                                Last edited by MDKing; 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X