No announcement yet.

Midwest Haunters Convention - Industry Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I encourage anyone who misunderstood my viewpoint to reread my earlier post, i.e. Barry and any others out there. I wish I could post an example of what I was trying to say.

Does anyone have a picture of the topless zombie girl at MHC and a picture of Ben Armstrong as Dr. Speculo afterhours of TW? I would love to show those 2 pics side by side to show the difference between over-the-top outrageousness and educational costuming/theatrics.

Shane you are the one who does the most attacking, yet when called to the carpet you act as though it's "just a difference of opinions". If that were true, then stop attacking those opposing opinions like you do.
    Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
    www.HauntWorld.com
    www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
    www.FindHauntedHouses.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com
    It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Patti,
      As long as you are trying to clarify your position you should also separate out the Zombie Walk from MHC. Two separate events that happened to occur on the same weekend that were cross promoted.

Comment

Barry, You are correct. I should have clarified. I was merely trying to make a point through comparison of what is educational costuming versus over-the-top outrageousness, and YES there are over-the-top costuming seen on show floors, not specifically MHC but all of them, including TW.
        Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
        www.HauntWorld.com
        It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
          . Black T shirts, mohawks, piercings all over the place, multi colored died hair styles, and the obvious inablilty to dress for their body type is what can easily be seen at Transworld. There is a large sect of haunters who fall into this class, but there are just as many who do not but they are not what people think of when they think of haunters, it was the aforementioned.

You mention the social activities are great for social networking, and I for the most part beg to differ. Half are actors or staff, who do not fully understand the business challenge running a successful haunt themselves. Also, it's going to be slightly more difficult to carry a real, professional business conversation with someone who is drinking alcohol by the gallon while enveloped in face paint and costuming.
          Allan
          did you ever stop to think that some actors and staff are also consumers and buyers of our products. some are not i admit, but that is part of our job as venders, weeding out the buyers from the looky loo's. yeah it is nice to have the owner of the haunt come over and buy a ton of product at once, but it is also nice to know that we have a steady following of actors who like our stuff enough to continue coming back year after year to get of our stuff.

i think it was mentioned earlier that just because you are drinking, it doesnt mean you are drunk...or even planning on gettin drunk...i think it is called drinking responsibly...and believe it or not, some adults can actually do this...and again it is totally plausable and possible to get gigs and talk business while in costume, or makeup...i got my gig to go to TOTF because the producers of the show (the bad boys) saw me in costume..actually many of the haunts i have gone to was possible because they saw me in costume working the crowd and doin what i do...

being professional can be totally exclusive from suits and ties...we are a different industry...we are extraordinary people, who come from all walks of life...in a way the haunt industry is the island of misfit toys, all the people who have been ostracised and cast out from the mainstream have come to find a home here...we arent too good for anyone, and we dont judge nearly as much as the mainstream...i will defend that till the end...we are not your average retail sales force...we all know each other for the most part, or atleast know OF each other...and we are professional...but we also have that side of us that likes to let loose and we are in an industry where we can do so...might i say it is even encouraged at times...

i know some of us were attracted to this industry because it is fun...yeah we like making money, but we do what we do because we love it...how many of us work a 'regular' job all day...i would think most of us do...this is our release, our chance to let loose and be ourselve...do we need to take the fun out of it...sure we have to promote a better media image...how do we do that? do you think that when the news van rolls into a haunt the owner throws a first year rookie out there to interview...heck no...he puts the person he/she knows will present a good image...but the camera still catches all the actors in the background...and i am not sure of your dealing with the media...they are gonna show whatever they want to show...they want a good story...and they will edit it to make it more interesting...

i respect your point of view...i dont agree with it totally, and that is ok by me...have a great day

maddi poole
          WWW.SCREAMLINESTUDIOS.COM
          440-392-2666

Comment

Well said, Maddi! Why can't we all post so professionally on here? You speak your views and you respect the opposing view, nothing negative about it. Now that's the way these threads should be.
            www.HauntWorld.com

Comment

Here is my 2 cent from the peanut gallery. There are really only two issues that could be a problem if MHC was to become the official industry tradeshow( I’m not sure Barry, Kelly, Neena, and Kathy actually want that or not)
              The two issues are time of year it is held, and if it can attract a variety of vendors and buyers needed for that type show. This whole argument of not being able to do business with the distractions of costumed actors, UN-costumed actors, and various social activities is a load of horse hockey! Those things do not offer a real distraction to doing business. I have been to Transworld several times, and to various other shows from the very small local gatherings to MHC. If there is any distraction on show room floors that curtail the ability to do business it is the sound of 20 air cannons going off at once in chorus with dozens of other gizmos and gadgets firing off. You can’t get rid of those things, now can you? A haunt industry trade show is going to be a haunt industry trade show, and distraction is the nature of the beast. If you remove all the distractions then we all might as well stay home and order off line. And, have you ever seen those stock market trading pits? That seems like complete chaos, yet some how business occurs.
              As for unqualified buyers being a problem that could be solved very easily with a badge system. If you qualify as a buyer, you get a badge then the vendors can decide how much time they spend with qualified buyers and none qualified buyers. It seems pretty simple to me.
              There are other factors that would have to be addressed if MHC would become the industry trade show, but the distraction argument is weak. That was just tossed out there to make everyone think that MHC would have to become boring to be the industry tradeshow. That is just a retarded argument in my humble opinion.
              I’ll say this again; where we go is up to the vendors. Transworld is never going to be the same. This Huston show has dealt them a blow, and they are scrambling to recover. Do vendors want to continue to bleed money to do business at a weaker Transworld show, or do they want move on. Time will tell.
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

I've been reading for a while and usually steer clear of the drama...but figured I'd chime in with my 'rookie' take on things...
                MHC 2008 was my first convention...
                Last year was my first time doing 'my own' haunt after years of acting in one...
                I loved it! My business partner and I went so we could see 'first hand' some of the products live rather than on a webpage. We had a very small budget and were pleased with the few cash and carry items we bought (by the way Virgil-your CD's rock!)
                I got to meet and chat with a few people from the board and that was cool...but if I wasn't 'buying' at that moment I made sure to pay attention whether the vendor was busy or not or the aisle was bustling with people, to which I'd move and let a possible customer shop. Common sense in my eyes.
                Also, we didn't take a catalog or what not if we didn't really like or think we'd ever consider the product...but we found that many vendors handed them out like crazy and every time we'd pass by they'd try handing another one...sometimes I'd say I got one and they'd force it to me anyways...
                And the drinking/partying...that's fine and dandy if you can handle it...but we were looking into banners/T-shirts/web design/posters and the like and one company we saw and talked to, well the guy was hungover bad and told us his tactic is to 'stall us' until someone who knows the 'pitch' can talk to us...but he handed us a catalog and said he's not feeling up to doing that...wow...
                All in all MHC was awesome! I do feel that our industry is different from the hoity toity business suit and tie stuff...there is a time and place...as in when the situation calls for it...but to be required...yuck...
                Did I go to MHC?...yes!
                Did the actors bug me?...nope!
                Did I talk to people?...yes!
                Did I buy stuff?...yes!
                Did I have a great time and LEARN?...YES!
                Will I be back with even more money to spend next year?...YOU BET!

Just my .02!

Kirk
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Patti

I would not call it attack. But I sure do post my opposing opinion. Patti is it just me or do you have a death wish aginst me? Don't get me wrong I can hang with the best of them. Yet I don't know how to treat you after all your a woman and I do respect and love all women. Would you mind telling Larry and let Larry tell me. That way I will feel were on equal ground. Even though your trying to kill me. This is not a fair playing field. Again Patti all I can do is show you respect. Larry on the other hand I can deal with man to man. Shane
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X