First real injury of the season???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First real injury of the season???

I don't know if I can claim this title or not, but on Thursday I got nailed in the face by a spring-loaded steel bar. It's part of a broken animation at The Darkness I was trying to fix. I had the bar wedged under another piece. It slipped free and nailed me right under my left eyebrow. Took 9 stitches to put me back together. It also VERY NEARLY knocked me out...but I managed to get to a sink and my wife (who just happened to be there at the right time) dumped cold water on my head till I felt okay enough to walk to the car. Luckily I have insurance. It was stupid, and I have a seriously swollen and bruised eye...but I'm alright other than that.

I've added a couple photos...if anyone's interested. The first is right after the stitches in the hospital. The other 2 are today...about 2 days after the accident. The swelling has come down quite a bit which is nice. I like being able to see out of both eyes.

Just wanted to see if I could stake my claim now as the first one sent to the hospital this season by the haunt. Are there any challengers?
    Attached Files
    Kip Polley
    www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
    We Engineer Fear

Holy COW Kip... I didn't hear about that. Was anyone around to help you?

That looks terrible. Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Kip

Glad your ok. Larry I might would call my attorney if I were you. I feel Kip deserves to be compensated. Kip would you settle for 25,000.00? Shane
      sigpic

Comment

Larry,

yeah, Jim and Johnny and Ashley were all still there when it happened. It didn't turn out to be a terrible deal in the end...although it hurt something fierce when I did it. It was that Lizzy Borden chick in the wedding room. I had it apart for Reggie to weld. It wasn't kidding around. It could have been much worse, though. I count myself lucky.

Shane,

I think you're right. I'm not greedy...$25,000 sounds plenty reasonable. Larry, let me know if you'd like to pay cash, check, or by credit card. lol
        Kip Polley
        www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
        We Engineer Fear

Comment

Shane

I'm sorry to inform you, but if this case was tried in court Kip would lose for failure to follow lockout procedures, failure to use the proper safety equipment; IE safety glasses.

Comment

wow, glad ur ok....any injury by the eye makes me squirm.....yes, i was the one who stabbed my self in the eye with a small screwdriver(dont ask).

Hope ya get better real soon.
            any chance u got a vid of it happening?...sorry i just wondering......serious....could of been lots worse...u lucky!
            Last edited by scareshack; 06-28-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

..and don't forget: If he was born on a Tuesday or Thursday, those are not pay-out days for the court, and if he sassed the steel bar, maybe it was just supposed to happen this way!
              Many stiches around the eye often don't hurt as much as you think they would. That soft, tender skin rips almost painlessly sometimes.
              I had a college basketball star tell me this and I didn't really believe him, until a pointy elbow came down across my upper cheek, from my own teammate!
              It didn't really hurt even though it was a deep cut, but then in H.S. history class we were forced to watch a movie every year in which someone said, "Loonies don't feel the cold."
              "But this man is shivering!" said Jayne Addams.
              "Naw, he's just a looney!"
              This was around the 1830's? When countys took the lowest bid to house their mentally ill in anyone's basements and barns.
              I'm glad you didn't get severely injured or lose an eye.
              We all sometimes feel bad and complain concerning our lot in life but it can always get worse!
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

No, sorry...no video. I was kinda wishing I had one too because I was really wanting to see just how fast it came at me. I mean...that thing was flat moving.

As far as safety glasses go...I'm glad I wasn't wearing any because I'm pretty sure they would have broken and vut me worse. They might have even cut my actual eye. Maybe not...but at this point it is what it is and I'm just glad it's not worse.
                Kip Polley
                www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                We Engineer Fear

Comment

Holy Cow! Eye accidents are no fun. Glad to see your okay.

Comment

I cannot believe Jim didn't mention it to us. Glad you're okay, Kip!
                    Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                    www.HauntWorld.com
                    www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                    www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com
                    It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Kip, first off glad you are ok, so close to your eye is scary stuff.
                      on a down side, had you lost the eye, you could have worn a really cool pirates patch and came to work with us on the Nautical Nightmare.
                      Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Working...
                      X