Are You Sneaking Around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Sneaking Around?

I was sitting watching TV when a Lysol commercial, of all things, caught my attention. They were comparing themselves to Oust -- how many baterium/virus's (whatever) they kill compared to Oust.
    Anyway, at the end Lysol claimed it even kills that of the common cold -- the "Rhinovirus" which they made clear Oust does not have federal clearance to do. They didn't say Oust wouldn't kill the Rhinovirus. They just dont' have the clearance to do so. That got me to thinking.....

Lysol and Oust are in competition with each other. They are both trying to get your dollars. In order for them to do this, they must know each other's product inside and out -- better than the company knows their own, if that's possible. This information (their weaknesses and strengths) gives them the edge in their avertising campaign and how they market their product. Should such be the same for us as Haunt Owners?

Let's face it, we all want to be "The" Haunted attraction in our surrounding area or city. We want to be the one everyone is talking about and everyone is going to. Should we therefore be like Lysol and Oust -- getting to know our competition?

If your answer is "Yes", do you:

1) Call surrounding Haunts, make yourself known as the owner of "Blah Blah Haunted House" and request a private showing?

2) Call surrounding Haunts, make yourself known as the owner of "Blah Blah Haunted House" and ask for discount or free tickets?

3) Buy a ticket and sneak in as a regular customer taking notes as you go along.

4) Don't buy a ticket at all and just show up during the haunts construction times?

If your answer is "No", please explain why?

I say number 3, first doing it this way will let you see it for what it is and not what they want you to think it is, you will get the show that their customer gets. Second, I would never let some other haunt owner in for free so that they can do research, you want research pay for it. Third, it's just the right thing to do, they can't get mad that you went into their haunt if they sold you the ticket. I'm sure this goes on all the time too.
    Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Originally posted by SomeThingInTheIce View Post
      I say number 3, first doing it this way will let you see it for what it is and not what they want you to think it is, you will get the show that their customer gets. Second, I would never let some other haunt owner in for free so that they can do research, you want research pay for it. Third, it's just the right thing to do, they can't get mad that you went into their haunt if they sold you the ticket. I'm sure this goes on all the time too.
      I've had all four happen to me as an owner. But, I have yet to visit any surrounding haunts since I've had one of my own. This year, I plan to change that. If haunting is what I'm going to do, I need to know what's out there and better myself.

Comment

And you get to take in some haunts. BONUS!
        Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Up here in GB i get free tickets to all the surrounding haunts and get pre-tours, as well as we do the same for them. its all in fun though.
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SomeThingInTheIce View Post
            And you get to take in some haunts. BONUS!
            Big Time! The only thing I'm concerned about is standing in a very long line. Perhaps I'll go early in their season.

Comment

Originally posted by MMManiac View Post
              Up here in GB i get free tickets to all the surrounding haunts and get pre-tours, as well as we do the same for them. its all in fun though.
              It seems to be more "cut throat" here and to be honest, I'm sure I appear to be cut throat myself. But, I just don't know whom to trust -- especially, after what happened to us last season. I'm just beginning, this being our 2nd commerical year (not counting the two years in my backyard). I'm quite protective....

Comment

I say #3 also.

It's so much easier to deal with.

And, sometimes if they are giving you a "tour", they are gonna tell all their actors to beef it up for you.

I wanna see what the normal patron sees.
                Brad Bowen
                Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

We found that in GB most people will go through two or three haunts, so we really are not competing against each other. Also, we have had other haunts take some of our ideas but hey if they can not be creative themselves, then sucks for them.Looks like we will be one step ahead of them in a better haunt. Just relax, remember why you do a haunt in the first place and have fun!

PS emp i STILL plan on making it out some year to check out your haunt. I'm excited!
                  Sean De Wane
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  The De Wane Asylum
                  www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMManiac View Post
                    We found that in GB most people will go through two or three haunts, so we really are not competing against each other. Also, we have had other haunts take some of our ideas but hey if they can not be creative themselves, then sucks for them.Looks like we will be one step ahead of them in a better haunt. Just relax, remember why you do a haunt in the first place and have fun!

PS emp i STILL plan on making it out some year to check out your haunt. I'm excited!
                    Relax? Me? LOL!

It would be great to have you here!

Comment

Haunt visits

In the Pa,NJ DE. And MD area we all pretty much have a good relationship with the other haunts and always extend an open invation to all haunts to come and visit if they are able - We always call first and try to sched. on a least busy night for the haunt we visit - we normally open later in the season than most of the hayrides since we are in the city and then we will get the hayrides on rainy nights that they can't run and we are open because we are all indoors
                      Aven
                      www.frightfactory.tv

Comment

Working...
                      X