Oak Island Weeping Willows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Island Weeping Willows

I bought a bunch of these and I held a lighter under one of them yesterday because Oak Island told me they wouldn't catch fire only melt. Well guess what, it went up like dry hay. How the heck does anyone use these in their haunts and pass fire inspections? The ny fireshield fire retardant doesn't soak into the nylon leaves. In fact how does anyone use any of the foliage they buy if it isn't fire redartant? I am looking for advice on what I can do to salvage this.
    Jared Layman

Dang!

Jared this is serious! Larry you got a ton of this stuff in the Darkness does this bother you? This for sure is not a good thing!!!! Shane
    sigpic

Comment

I would contact John at Oak Island ASAP!!! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

That's pretty scary.
        Thanks, Jeff
        www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
        www.HauntForum.com
        www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

So has anyone else used these in their haunts?
          Jared Layman

Comment

Hmm thats weird. if I can remember clearly I remember Adam "i think that was his name" take a lighter to one at TW showing us and it just melded and smoked a little.
            ~Bill Mlinac
            The Deadland Haunted House
            www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
            www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

I don't remember him taking a lighter to it but I do remember me asking him if it was fire proof and he said no but they don't catch fire they just melt. He said they use them all the time in the haunts they make and they pass fire codes. I don't see how this can be true unless they sent us a bad batch or something.
              Jared Layman

Comment

Those willow branches come from a separate vendor. I dont think OIG treats those with FR, they are already supposed to be treated when they get them. Maybe you did get a bad lot.
                Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                [n8 creative studios]

Comment

The best way to fire treat foliage is to dip it. Another good way is to really soak the underside if the silk leaves where there is a fabric weave and a good FR chemical can get a chance to penetrate. Its hard to spray the shiny side of leaves.. they tend to repel liquids.

When you have completely plastic leaves you are pretty much out of luck. You should still hose em down and hope for the best.

It is nigh impossible to fire treat every single object in a haunt (Although you should still soak everything!) but just use common sense. Interior wall finishes are the most important code wise, and you should always eliminate anything that is VERY flammable. On large surfaces that can not be penitrated by spray on chemicals, (Say Vacuform for example!)) it might be better to use intumesent paints that form a barrier when exposed to flame. They cost a ton and you need to repaint the prop, but when you cannot soak into an object you don't have many other choices.

If you soak and treat those leaves and they still burn like crazy, put them out of path, limit the use of them or maybe just consider not using them at all.

Real trees and wood can be treated, but real dead dried foliage is Yikes!

You are doing the right thing to test. Common sense really is the best protection!

Its also great how everyone opens cell phones to see these days rather than using lighters!

Thanks
                  Ben Armstrong
                  NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                  www.Fearworld.com
                  www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I dipped it in but didn't let it sit and soak in. I will try that but I am also going to call Oak Island and see why they are catching fire instead of melting. I know I was told they would melt otherwise I never would have bought something so hazardous. Thanks for the advice.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

At Transworld...

... I talked to a few of the guys at the Oak Island booth about several of the products/props they carry, especially the foliage and 'roots'... I was disappointed to find that none of the six items I was interested in had any sort of fire rating, except that that they were actually very flammable. With respect to Oak Island ('cause I like the LOOKS of their stuff), if vendors are going to sell to the Haunt industry, all their items should be fireproofed... just my two cents.
                      Nathan P. Hamilton

Owner/Operator
                      Haunted Nashville
                      Turbidite Manor

Comment

I was told it would melt rather then catch flame, however, I can assure you they catch fire or at least the batch I bought does.
                        Jared Layman

Comment

Oh a nice molten plastic shower. Im sure someone wouldnt sue for that.
                          Damon
                          Damon Carson

Comment

Working...
                          X