Our first home haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our first home haunt

Hello fellow haunters,my friends and I have a new challenge for us this year. This year we want to set up a haunt of our own. We live in ohio and decided we are not going to charge any admission and maybe at the end have a box where patrons can donate money to a charity. Some of the worries that have been crossing my mind is any requirements, such as fire codes, etc. Do I still have to fire proof everything even though we're not charging? Sprinkler system? Smoke detectors will still be put up for safety precautions. Any other safety procedures? There are also stairs leading to a basement and we decided on putting a guide there to help the patrons out and to prevent any injuries. Also on the stairs we are worried about if any handicap individuals attend, since the stairs are steep we can't really build ramps. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan

Be as safe as you can possibly afford. If you think it is questionable, then fix it.
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
    www.HauntForum.com
    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Unless you are planning using open flames, you don't need anything special, like fire retardant materials and sprinkler systems. Maybe purchase a fire extinguisher if you have any apprehension.

Since you are building a haunt in your own home, your home insurance should have you covered.

When you make your posters, include warnings like, fog effects in use, and make mention that ascending and descending stairs are involved. "All patrons are welcome but enter at their own risk." is a good phrase as well. It's truly a word of caution, but also adds to the "scariness".

UnderManiac

Comment

Rule 1, have fun.
        Rule 2, be safe.
        Rule 3, There is no rule number 3
        Rule 4, be safe and have fun (see rules 1 and 2)

On a serious note, but the donation box at the start of the haunt. If the haunt will be scary you may have people running away in terror and to scared to donate. hahahahaha
        www.walkthroughbedlam.com

Comment

I live in Ohio to and last year we had a fire marshal come by 5 mintues before we opened.
          He was happy to that we didn't have stray wires and we weren't putting to much power into one cord. Just keep it safe, make sure hallways are not too narrow, and not put hot fog machines somewhere guests could access them.

If you have other questions let me know.
          Drew and Shane
          www.deadenddungeon.com

Comment

Working...
          X