Beware of Camera-pointing "Gypsies!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Camera-pointing "Gypsies!"

Trying to look and sound SO important and potentially helpfull to your haunted business, just give them 15 hours of your precious time (right now) and sign those waivers allowing them to make as much free-money off of your hard and creative efforts as they possibly can!
    Don't worry, they gave you their phone number and e-mail address, both of which will fall into the great abyss of "Good-By Sucker"! As soon as their back bumper clears your drive way!
    That is how they operate. They are out there.
    You were warned.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Jim, is this what happened to you? Pray tell!

Sarah
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

Comment

So somebody was taking pictures of your haunt in order to go create their own? And you signed waivers to allow it, thinking you were signing something to allow them to help you improve your haunt? Just trying to understand.
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Maybe he thought it was for press coverage?
        Sarah Meier

Comment

I guess Jim will fill us in on the details.
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

As I have said many times, just because you have enough money to buy a camera doesn't give you the right to steal all of my ideas, then make money off of them.
            (Maybe my family and I should be first in line for compensation from my ideas and long hours of work? Now there's a foreign concept to those people!)
            I have helped a fair number of high school and college film students create works about my house that did lead to their further sucesses and measurable rewards in this field. Funny thing is all I ever asked from them in return was a copy with no copyrighted theme music playing in the backround, yet this did not happen.
            The "professional" crews can be great or terrible to work with but still not one penny of compensation coming my way(are the cable companys paying the Jackass Boys too much that there is nothing left for me?
            "Dog The Booty-Hunter" gets paid, the screaming idiots throwing Harley parts at each other get paid, the guys making hot rods showing us how to go blind welding without goggles get paid, and the roto-rooter guys chasing breaking wind in the dark all get paid. ?
            ??????????????????
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Sounds like at the very least you need to create your own "contract" that they have to sign in order to take pictures stipulating that they give you a copy (with no copyrighted background theme music) and whatever other stipulations you want to add. Perhaps you should also start charging them to take pictures and to help them out?
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Jim, most definitely get yourself a lawyer to draw up a contract for such occasions.

When people flinch at the idea, all you have to do is let them know you've been
                swindled many times and that by doing this, *all* of you are protected.

You've been very generous with people; it's time to be generous to yourself.

Sarah
                Sarah Meier

Comment

Me getting their social security number from an I.D. would be a beginning move too on my part.
                  A newspaper reporter would almost always ask me for one hour of my time. It always took 3.
                  Students with a video camera would need my personal help and input for many continiuos hours , of My Time..that I could be doing something else, maybe making more money or resting up to be able to make more tours possible that night.
                  Besides the lost time, there would sometimes be things I would have to clean up when they were hitting the road (to their bank) Other times I had to spend money to repair or replace something they had messed with..
                  I grew up in the generation when if someone had any kind of a camera to point at you it was a rare ocassion not like now when every cell phone, every downtown light post has a camera pointed at you.
                  So watch your ego, make sure you really need or want that camera's attention.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

And Sarah is correct that it's time to start putting you and your wife first now!
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I have intentionally tried to create a "Jim-Intensive" experience here that defies duplication simply by it's length of time required to do what I do with the storytelling and long set ups for the gags and scares.
                      Of course to really be financially successful I should have painted my face bright blue and created a mime act that I could franchise across the country, having myself appearing everywhere at once through imitation actors.
                      When people commit to seeing my show they usually invest a large amount of time and money to arrive here so I had better not be copying someone else's stuff or chasing them through this place with a chainsaw for a mere few paniced moments.
                      This house really is haunted and sometimes my goofiness and humor might mask this from those visiting here that are very sensitive and potentially very fearfull of this fact.
                      Then as a bonus for me I would sometimes be credited with some pretty amazing "Special effects" that only the actual supernatural can do.
                      Customers have been touched and had their hair messed with in part of the basement and exit tunnel. For me to be able to do any such thing in a solid concrete tunnel under the ground with no hiding places along it would be quite the trick now wouldn't it?
                      Ghosts go where they please, the tunnel is not 138 years old,like the rest of this place, I built it.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Someday, Jim, I'm gonna visit you and your place.

You've been warned.

Sarah
                        Sarah Meier

Comment

The Ravens Grin has often been an "Out of Body" experience for many, but I recommend coming here before you begin to get low on "body".
                          And if I am dead when you arrive, come on in, the tour will be severely discounted but Very memorable!
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim maybe if you break wind a little more often in your tours and call it a ghost maybe you will get a show out of it? That is if the right person is touring your haunt?! Eat more beans! And good luck!
                            Damon
                            Damon Carson

Comment

Danger, Will Robinson!

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
                              The Ravens Grin has often been an "Out of Body" experience for many, but I recommend coming here before you begin to get low on "body".
                              And if I am dead when you arrive, come on in, the tour will be severely discounted but Very memorable!
                              Looks like both Sarah and I will both be coming to surprise you, and no, we don't know each other, but we are both ChrisGM. Kidding!
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X