No announcement yet.

Punched and Kicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are male and don't want some customers touching your butt, then give the bachelorette party over to someone else!
    Plan ahead, decide what you want or don't want and act accordingly.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

what worries me is that in the house i am at, they have volunteers from local high schools to come and help. its not all teens though. theres still 3/4 of the workers who have done acting before and understand the possibilites of being struck, but i'd hate to have a teen actor strike back if attacked. ive explained to them that theres a possibility that i can happen, and i try to show them diffrent ways of getting close without being hurt.

even without being punched, i was very sore when we finished up the 07 haunt i was at. my arm was in pain due to my stupidity of using wood blocks to cause noise startles. after so many time of hitting wall with a brick sized peice of wood, you tend to get some pain in the arm. not only that, but countless times of almost tripping and getting splinters.
      Last edited by phreakout; 08-03-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I know this is a stereotype, but honestly most of our problems don't come from the drunks ... they come from the overly-testosteroned teenage boys in ball caps.

They'll get startled or scared - which offends their thin-skinned machismo - so they feel the need to retaliate by confronting the actors ... or they think it would be fun to try and smash as much stuff as possible ... or they will yell all kinds of profanity at the actors (with no regard for anyone else in their group)

I've had friends who were/are bouncers at local bars and they have all said that you'll see much more fights, agression, and destruction at the non-alcoholic "under 21" nights and clubs than at most adult bars.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was to buy a infra-red video surveillance system. Before people even buy a ticket, they see the monitor showing 13 camera views through-out the entire attraction (and have likely seen our police and security presence outside) and it greatly reduces the amount of incidents.
        Scott Simmons
        The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
        http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

Just last night I had to tell too wild teenage boys to "Settle down" and they did.
          You can tell a drunk something but there might be nothing inside their head comprehending anything. Sort of similar to the "Father Jack" character on the TV show "Father Ted", who sat in a stupor with a very limited vocabulary of "Fek!" "Drink!" Women!" Nunns!""Arse!" ("Nunns" was always spoken with extreme fear in his voice)
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim head this warning! Never leave home without your pumpkin jack knee pads and nutcup! Or eat sleep and whatever else you do in them. Ha!
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
              Jim head this warning! Never leave home without your pumpkin jack knee pads and nutcup! Or eat sleep and whatever else you do in them. Ha!
              Damon
              LMAO

I have never heard a strap being refered as a "nutcup".

that seriously made my day

Comment

Maybe for Damon..

It would be a "Nut Cup"?
                Mine would have to be a "Nut(s) Cup".
                Cuming up short again?
                Or maybe mine would be a nut(s) Steine?
                My new haunt character" Franken weenie-steiner"!
                ("He's a BIG "Drink"!)
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Ive had my share of cheap shots (it was my first year I didnt know any better), but there was only one time that I'd actually consider it assault. This group of bikers, you know the type decked out in leather thinkin theyre tough crap walk into my room and they know im there i step forward and the guy stares at me....all of a sudden he takes a swing. Well, I've been trained in self defense so I counter and slam him into a wall. Thank God the other 2 decided not to attack lol...I know it wasnt the best thing to do, but it stopped there. I asked if he was gunna calm down or if I had to get security (which would be local police). He said no and I let them on (of course I alerted a hallwalker to keep an eye on them)....I know I'm not supposed to attack the patrons but....idk....it seemed like the right thing to do at the time i didnt feel like been KOed

Comment

That sounds much better than the way you phrased it in the other thread. In that situation, it seems you did the right thing.
                    Beth Miller

SoMetHinG WiCKed ThIS WAy CoMEs

What can we teach you about fear?

Comment

we seem to have a hard time since our haunt is outdoors, by the time the security finds the person that they thought punched our actor, theyre already out and into their car. Walkie talkies don't even help alot when it comes to this problem. We have warning signs all over, a decoy cop car and 3 security guards and a camera out front, yet still people feel they can get away with this. What is wrong with the public?

Last year a big guy punched my wife right in the face (I wasnt there at the time) and she had a plastic axe and hit the guy right in the face with it (i dont blame her) out of reflex. i told her she shouldn't have hit the guy, but I tell you it was effective because I know it &*^% him up. We are very brutal and in your face at our haunt (in my opinion thats the way haunts should be) and I guess the public just can't deal with it. people suck!!

However, I noticed intimidation works.. if you put a big guy at your first scene doing something violent (like slamming the wall full strength with a wooden weapon that makes a violent crack) people get the picture THEY can get hurt too if they're going to mess around and punch us. Ever since I started doing this it may have seemed to help (who knows for sure though) but there's always some ass thats ready to show off and cause trouble.

Best weapon of chose is a automatic paintball gun that shoots air blasts.. the guy using that has never even been threatened of being punched lol. Wooden weapons work well for the other actors.. you just have to trust YOUR actor with it!
                      Last edited by WickedWoodsHaunt; 10-13-2008, 09:09 AM.
                      Virginia's premier outdoor haunted attraction-
                      www.wicked-woods.com

Comment

Originally posted by WickedWoodsHaunt View Post
                        people suck!!
                        ???

Remember who you make your money from and why you're doing this.

I'm glad we don't have to resort to violence. We have security to deal with it here.
                        Last edited by Tom; 10-13-2008, 08:42 PM.
                        Tom
                        Creator of the Dungeon
                        WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

we have security too unfortunately the town's finest usually can't get there fast enough...and most of us dont resort to violence unless its neccessary (ex. my biker incident). and for the record...im a volunteer which...according to the Jaycees...means that I dont get paid....but I'm also required to be there or I'm hated...great eh?

Comment

here r my weekend punching and kicks....some more pleasant than others....first the crappy ones lol

Friday: smartass teenage male goes through with his family....grabs one of my female hallwalkers around the waist....hes warned....still comes into my room grabs my monsters mask (im not aware of the previous incident) i warn him, he then preceeds to grab my shoulder and spin me around, I tell him he'll be removed as soon as I find security, HE SPINS ME AROUND AGAIN, i make then stand there and wait until the security comes to take them...AND THE MOTHER STILL DOESNT BELIEVE HE DID IT!

Sat: people are so eager to get around me that im: elbowed 2 times in the gut...3 shots to my bad knee lol (i was dying lol)....

And the good ones: (I have yellow contacts and get in peoples faces for the distraction/freak out)

Friday: Im doing my thing when a girls like, "you're cute" and leans in and gives me a butterfly kiss (needless to say, she was gorgeous so i didnt kick her out lol) I somehow managed to stay in character lol

Sat: A girl leans in and is like "you're beautiful" and tries to kiss me lol

so....well....GOOD TIMEs...I guess...my knees still swollen lol

Comment

So I am in the back third of the house this year and its def alot less violence, customers prone to it seem to make themselves known in the first few scenes, hopefully cause we are that good heh?

The record for ejection was set this weekend with security having to eject some violator who kicked the half door we use to queue people BEFORE YOU EVEN PAY.

After doing this a while I have started to be able to mostly guess based on posture and expression what people are going to do with a good degree of accuracy. When doing a scare I glance at their legs when I get into "american personal space range" gauging and reacting to crowd after crowd will eventually give you a better understanding of what to expect from your marks.

Good security - especially if your haunt is near popular bars is essential. Learning how to work with your security to not ruin scares is also something to consider. I used to get mad when security would enter my scene because I thought they would blow my character simply being in sight, but I learned to work with them in the room and play off their presence. Your security guys should be plenty paranoid imo.

Comment

good news everyone...i was not attacked this weekend lol but I did have my share of bad customers...our walls are over 100 years old and are that nasty crumbly horse hair drywall stuff....but this jerk was going through and literally hammering on the wall cracking um for no reason....so first I asked him to please stop hitting the walls...he looks at me like im crazy and asks why....after I explain it to him he acts like a complete ass...so I get more firm and say "I don't come into your house and bang on your property and you shouldnt do it to mine" HE STILL WOULDNT GET IT but eventually left all the while complaining about being repremanded...

The sad thing is he was a grown man....atleast 45-50 years old....whats going on with people anymore....Im 17 yrs old and show more maturity than half the people going through these places...I know that they come and pay there money to have a good time, but all I ask is you obey by the rules....

Another thing this weekend: not neccessarlly a punk or kick...well not physically....but the church down the road decided to do a hell house this year. I dont care I really dont, but they came to my haunts owner and lied to him...they said they were not anti halloween....well they are lol....so Friday night they were walking down OUR lines and handing out THEIR pamphlets tryin to get people to come to THEIR HAUNT...well one person went and it turns out it wasnt a hell house...they got you in thinking that then shoved scripture down your throat...they then got mad when my boss shooed them out of our lines....

but was gets me hot (I'm a born again christian btw) is the fact that after we closed, I had to walk by them so I'm in my haunt T-shirt and makeup and they come up and start talking to me....in that clever way that apparentally I'm going to Hell for celebrating halloween...so my response was (I was already in a bad mood) "Well unfortunately for you people I'm a born agrain christian, and if on my day of judgement the only reason I'm going to hell is because I celebrated Halloween....then where are the people who condemn me going." and walked away....I'm sorry I know this isnt the right place for this post but IT JUST GOT ME SO HOT....its groups like that that give the church a bad name

Comment

Working...
                                X