No announcement yet.

My first haunted house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have lots of Ideas and I don't want to spam the forum with them all so just IM me... I too am only 13 but I am from england!

Comment

I am glad we have kids like you in the industry

I love hearing about more 13-17 year old haunters every year taking the time and making the dedication to go out and get a truely good education about the aspects of making an excellent attraction (no matter how big or small) which assures a great success. The reason I get so excited about this is because I first came to this forum in March 2005 when I was 11 which was my first year of Buffalo Badlands but back then there were only like 5-15 (maybe) kids and/or teens on the forum and through the last 3, very soon to be 4 seasons I have witnessed the day-by-day growth of these forums and I totally look forward to helping you peeps out in your endeavors.
      Mike Cirrincione
      Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
      MAC Productions presents:
      Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
      AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
      Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
      Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

Comment

Hi Scarefest,

1. Congratulations on being ambitious.

2. Don't look to scare the crap out of everyone because chances are, you won't do it. Even if it's an honest attempt, you dont want it to be a lame attempt.

I suggest also finding some bigger friends that can help you out too for halloween. For your budget, you can do some decent little things, but try to make yourself MEMORABLE versus scaremastersupreme.

The black plastic suggestion is a great one. You can even take big ol garbage bags, slit them to make large sheets, and line a room, line the garage, and use that as a starting place.
        -Get a fog machine.

-Get some strobe lights.

-Get some loose auxillary lighting that you can add colored flood lights to. Green and purple work well when used as accent lighting. Turn out your house lights and SOME of your outdoor lighting. Put little single strobes in the windows and in your entryway.

-Go to Home Depot and buy tiki torches. Spray paint them black, and line your driveway.

-Spend time with regular ol bagged spiderweb and work with it. If you play with it enough, you CAN do decent things for a standard house haunt.

-Stereo speakers... blare some decent music... get some White Zombie, some industrial metal, or some death metal. Make sure you blare it at a level to a)drive your neighobors nuts, and b) to the point right before it distorts and becomes garbage.

-Invest in some decent cd's like Midnight Syndicate. Good mood music.

-Put your candy in the BACK of the house so parents and kids have to walk around, and have friends back there to do whatever it is you work out. Just remember, growling in a rubber mask isnt scary. It sounds like a kid growling in a rubber mask.

-Concentrate on just being 'creepy'. Slow, methodical movements work well. One of my friends bought and off the rack hooded robe from Spencer's. All he did was walk around dragging an old shovel from the garage... up and down the street... not saying a word. Occasionally he'd pause, just stand there...slowly turning his head, and start walking again. He had a 'pit' in his yard that he'd dig, then fill back in. That's it.
        The next year, parents were still talking about it. (ask mom or dad before digging holes in their landscaping though... We're adults, so we thought it was funny...)

Just get creative. Make kids work for the candy. Just remember... no physical contact, know when to stop, and be polite to the adults at the end.
        Last edited by Mortallus Inc.; 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Mortallus Inc. had some really good ideas and points.

Though I would strike one of them:
          -Go to Home Depot and buy tiki torches. Spray paint them black, and line your driveway.

Open flame and Halloween Costumes are a bad mix... At a professional haunt in a controlled enviornment you can risk using fire.

At a home haunt with little kids running around with fairy wings and big wigs full of hair spary, fire = BAD
          www.walkthroughbedlam.com

Comment

Yes, that is a very good point. My driveway setup was very wide so lining it with flame in a way that people weren't near the torches was easier.

I did tend to forget that most won't have that luxury. So yeah, I agree... ditch the real flame tiki torches... maybe find some safer alternative.

Comment

search craigslist.org for things you need and you can place wanted ads on there too. With a little creativity you can make $400 go far. Just try to get what you can for free. I've seen some good advice from others that I to am gonna use. Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

also found cheap black plastic sheeting at plasticsheetingsupply.com

Comment

Here are a few tip for cheap props. Remember 1st yours or your parents closets. This means ask any one(grandma,grandpa,aunts,uncles,your buddys family) for old unused clothes everyone has them and are usually willing to hand them over. Next dont forget your thrift store(you will find good stuff cheap, but try not to over do it). PVC pipe is cheap and its a good base for bodies under the clothes. To make one body use 1/2" pipe and connectors you will need- one T, for the pelvic area- one 4 way for the neck area- four 90% for the shoulders and hips- two 45% for the elbows you can also use T's on the feet to add extra PVC to help them stand if you need them too. Dont glue them together because it will make them easier to store if you can pull them apart. News paper makes a good filler you can crumble it up and put into plastic grocery bags and stuff the bodies. Nd you can always get cheap halloween props at the local stores after the holiday is over, so dont forget to stock up for the next year. I hope this is a little help and good luck, Haunt on Little Buddy

Comment

Just use the garage

I'm 13 too and I'd say just use the garage and get some friends to dress up and pop out at people. That seems to scare 'em

Comment

Originally posted by Scarefest13 View Post
                      Hey guys, its my first year doing a haunted house, I am 13 years old,Do not, not take me seriously because of my age, cause trust i want to scare the crap (ALMOST litterally) out of anyone that steps into my haunted house, and guess what i am almost designing a haunted house, i am doing this with another person but i am one of the main guys. I have looked through this site and realized how amazing and how much knowledge some of the members of this forum have, i have a budget of 400$ this year i know (not much) i really need some ideas from people who are experienced in this kind of stuff, and it looks like i have come to the right place, i am aloud to use my whole house but not inside the house including: My front yard, my garage and my backyard. I really need some cheap ideas for props. My theme of my haunted house is basically doctors who work at a hospital go insane and start killing/torturing his patients. I could use some tips on Make-up, costumes, scenes, skits, pretty much anything! I have done my research and read some books but i need some people to have a discussion with me about this kind of stuff thanks guys!
                      I am brand new on this website but I have a few ideas on where to go for inexpensive items. Try your local Good Will store or St. Vincent De Paul thrift stores for old clothes, boots, etc.--we pin the shirts to the pants and then stuff with newspaper to make bodies. These stores also carry some used Halloween items relatively inexpensive. Also, I have a friend whose husband works for an elevator company and he brings me huge, flat cardboard boxes that we use as walls and can cut up to make signs, etc. We also go to local appliance stores and get refrigerator or freezer boxes to use in making props. For wood, go to areas where new houses are being built. They usually have numerous dumpsters where they throw the scrap wood--2x4's 2-3 foot long, plywood 3x4 foot pieces. A friend and I also drove by a field where people are forever dumping things and we picked up an old wicker loveseat, 2 matching wicker chairs, and an old wicker trunk. Great outside props. Also, check your local paper for garage sales--after the sales sometimes these people just want to get rid of stuff and will give it away. Hope this is of some use to you. Good Luck!

Comment

Im also 13, but this is my 5th year of doing a home haunt. What we do is build the walls out of pvc (basically just make a frame). Then we cut rebar at 2 and a half feet and stick a foot in with a foot and half sticking out. Then we just slide the pvc walls on the rebar. After that we use garbage bags and scene setters and just zip-tie them up. It works out really well and isn't too exspensive. I haven't seen anyone else do this but for us it works great and holds up to the wind good. Hope this helps

Comment

It's very encouraging to see so many young people taking up the hobby/profession.

I also like to see the creativity you have, and would like to see some of the props and scares you have come up with. Sometimes you lose that as you get older and caught up in life. Haunting keeps the mind working, so use that selling point to nelist the support of your family.

Good luck to all of you, and post some pics.

Comment

I'm 16 and have been doing this for 2 years. Our first year we did black plastic held up by weak wood frames. A year later we're doing solid wall panels that look great and are easy to put up. Start small and build on it, and have fun.

:Some of this years stuff: photobucket.com/scareside
                            -----------------
                            Scareside Website
                            Last edited by Scareside; 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM.
                            Scareside Studios/ Haunted House

Comment

Alot has changed

Ok when i first posted this a while back i only had 400 dollers that has changed to about 1000 dollers but i have spent 700 dollers on masks, make-up, walls and stuff.

Our theme has changed 100% to a carnevil theme. Alot of people have volunteered to do some work on the haunted house.

Almost all of our walls are put up and i will post some pics as soon as i can! i will keep you intouch with pics.

Good luck this halloween guys its going to be an AWESOME ONE!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't forget to keep checking out Freecycle and drive around on garbage day to see what prop parts are out there at the curb, but be respectful and clean up after yourself. A local extreme haunter built most of his haunt using "recycled" parts and homemade props and just made it into the paper this week.
                                ~"Who died and made you f*cking king of the zombies?"

~"Bill, get your own funeral. Timmy and I are going zombie."

Comment

Working...
                                X