compressor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor ?

would a 4,or 8 gallon air compressor be enough for distortions jolt animatronic?

A bigger compressor might work easier and be able to shut itself off and not need to constantly be running.
    With a bigger compressor you will have the compressing ability there when you add other things to the line, unless you have the display all on it's own someplece and then other possibility will never exist.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

CFM's

It's not really about the reserve tank size, it's about the CFM's the compressor puts out. (Cubic Feet per Minute). And also the duty cycle of the compressor. The CFM's define how hard the little guy will have to work in order to keep up with your prop. Reserve tanks are cute and all, but whatever air is used has to be replaced. All the tank does it try and keep the pressure from dropping too steeply over time. So the higher the CFM the less time your compressor will run. And your duty cycle means what percentage of the time you are using the little guy it can actually be on. So if you're open for 6 hours and it has a 90% duty cycle, it can only run for 5 hours and 24min. Get it?

Comment

Figuring out compressors isn't as hard as determining if and when your cheap fogger will be working again.
        Very frustrating hearing them warm up, then shut off and just sit there????
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I burned uo a compresser last year with a small air cannon.
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Husky

Husky makes some decent compressors. They have one that has a 10 gallon tank that can take a good bit of abuse. But not run constantly, the little bugger still has to cut off eventually to cool down. Duty cycle, and CFM's it's pretty easy.

Air Cannons are tricky bastards. It's you're going to let your actors work them and ride the button all night like they tend to you might as well fork over for a big old dual piston compressor.

OR you could use high pressure air bottles. Look like oversize scuba bottles, you can get them from a welding supply place, AND your actors will only have so many shots per night before the air is all gone. It come out to something like 300 shots with a 10gal reserve and a 1in valve.

OR you could put a timer on the trigger so that when it's depressed the cannon fires for 1/2 second and shut off. You then half to wait 30 seconds before you can fire it again. Smash the button all you want and it just doesn't do anything. This way you can keep your little compressor alive by limiting the use.

In some context or another we've done all three of these things, so they all work pretty well, just depends on what kind of hoops you want to jump through.

Comment

thanks

thanks for all the help.

Comment

Good info geckofx, I'm looking in pawn shops right now for a big compressors, not having much luck. i may just rent one.
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

If you are looking for a bigger compressor, try NorthernTool. They sell high quality IngerSol Rand compressors for a decent price. Granted you will still be spending 2K - 4K but they are awesome compressors that can really take a beating

Comment

I second Damon's suggestion for Northern Tool. I shopped around and total price including shipping, no one could touch Northern's price (at least new) on a 5HP 80gal IR vertical we ordered to help supplement our other compressors for this season.

If you plan on buying a compressor that you want to last a good long while, there are 3 things to look for. Belt driven, oil sump, continuous duty. A compressor with those specs / features will outlast any direct drive, oil-free compressor. They will be SIGNIFICANTLY quieter as well since they generally run at half the RPM's that a direct drive will.

I bought a smaller compressor at Home Depot a few years ago for personal use. $300, ~2hp motor, 26gal vertical, belt driven, oil-sump. It gets used a ton and not a single issue. It's no IR or Quincy and it only builds 135psi, but it's been a solid compressor and will work just fine for Jolt.
                    -Brandon Kelm
                    Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

thanks for all the input.jolt worked great.agian thanks.

Comment

I think it would. I use a 15 gallon for like 3 anamatronics and 4 pressure mats, including the one your asking about and it runs great. But it depends on how many people walk through your attraction and how fast you let them in.

Comment

Working...
                        X