Ground Level Drop Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zombie pits

This is very cool -- love this idea and started building it right away! We're in a cornfield, so we opted for cardboard lids, well, actually foam core and a handle from the inside for the actor to lift. It probably won't last a night, but we'll play around with it and see what's most comfortable to work with after 50 times of lifting the lid We thought about tombstones on the back of ours...like you say, to prevent accidents in case someone doesn't realize there's a hole in the ground (it would be me, no doubt)

We have a heavy clay soil that holds water, so we did have to make drainage holes in the bottom of the box and I decided to put a little gravel/sand mix in the bottom of the hole before putting the box in -- hopefully, if it rains it'll help provide at least a little drainage. We don't have scorpians, but we do have snakes who would love to find this! If I thought for a second that I was squatted down in there with a snake....wow, that'd be a whole new level of fear for me!

Thanks for sharing this idea -- I cannot wait to see reactions to this!
    Happy Haunting
    "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
      Wow, that would be horrific. The only thing worse would be spiders. And then the latch get stuck, and your drowing in a box full of scorpions and spiders. ICK. sounds like something from the next saw movie.
      Scorpions, spiders, and without proper drainage, the possibility of drowning inside! Sounds like you're trying to scare the people inside the box instead of the customers! How awful! You wouldn't catch me in that box during a rainstorm! LOL!
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Spandex Graves

Kevin,

The effort your putting into this is more than needed. Our spandex covered graves can also be fast, just have the actor come out faster. We decided to go slow since zombie don't move very fast.

We also put the graves on a incline with drainage, just to make a nice comfy grave for the actors. You need to have another actor working above ground just for added safety to keep the drunks from jumping in it. Gotta love haunting, the more I work on our Christmas show the more I dread the haunt season. Their is something about seeing beer bottles, condoms and panties in the parking lot that pisses me off the morning after a busy night. Maybe I'm getting old.

Here is a photo of our spandex grave. Talk about scary as hell, this guy made them scream all night long!

Last edited by twohlgemuth; 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM.
        Tony Wohlgemuth,
        Comes up with the fun stuff!
        Kersey Valley, Inc.
        www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Maybe we need a parking lot web cam?
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Parking Lot Web Cam

Great idea! I can mount a telephoto web cam and charge for it.
            Tony Wohlgemuth,
            Comes up with the fun stuff!
            Kersey Valley, Inc.
            www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

The picture i didn't post was the actual hole, we dug extra deep and the boxes are set on top of cinder blocks as well as we took the auger down in the hole and dug a center hole in the middle three feet deep just for drainage.

We have no scorpions but the toads are finding a new home and we do have a snake hanging around eyeballing the place,but we love snakes here.

There isn't a day gone by that somebody dosen't walk up with a snake.

Comment

Just throw some clowns in the box and it's just about become everyone's biggest fear combined all together. Kevin's creating a Pandora's box of fears.
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

And another theme is born: Pandora's Box of Fears.

Eh. Probably been done a gazillion times.
                  Sarah Meier
                  Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                  "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Wouldn't it just be simpler to put hinges on the back of the lid, so when the actor stands up the lid flys open. all he would have to do would be flip the lid back over and he/she is ready for the next group.
                    sigpic
                    www.Darksideproductions.com

Facebook
                    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dar...48731611822773

Comment

The cardboard and lid on hinges are great suggestions and thank you for posting the idea's.

BUT we were asked to build stuff that will last the duration of five years. The pits we built as overkill as they are will be lucky to even withstand three being as that their in the ground.

And the whole look were going for is the casket sliding open and the zombie crawling out, If we use a flip top lid it really takes away from that look.

Again the whole idea is for the actor to just flip a latch and perform his bit for the group. By doing the counterweight that is doing the work as they pounce on the group. Were taking out a full motion the actor would have to do to get that scare.

Im trying to make it fast and right at the groups feet, a good true startle scare,fast and furios never saw it coming.

Comment

What kind of casket has a sliding lid, every casket I have ever seen has a hinged lid. If you wanted it to last 5 years you should have dug a hole lined it with treated 4x4's or 6x6's(stacked and interlocked) and attached a lid to that. If you use heavy duty hinges and bolt them not screw them it will out last the lid. If you want the lid to last 5 years you can't use plywood unless it is marine grade as it will just rot. Beside owning the Darkside Haunted House on Long Island(in our 11th season) I am also a Contractor. I hope these tips help.
                        Last edited by phantom; 08-09-2008, 11:41 PM.
                        sigpic

Facebook

Comment

It would be a crypt with a marble slab for a lid that slides. With the dyed tumble weed option, even though it isn't in the old West and they didn't have access to marble. The movies have screwed up people logic and expectations so just go with it...

Exit poll: What did you like or not like about our haunted trail?
                          Responce: Dude, florescent tumble weed is bogus!
                          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Phantom, do you mean the plywood itself needs to be marine grade?

Or do you mean it has to be *treated* with marine grade paint?

I ask this because I had a coffin built of plywood once, and I painted
                            it with marine grade paint. It did pretty well for a few years.

But if I ever do it again, I'd like to know the best way.

Thanks
                            Sarah
                            Sarah Meier
                            Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                            "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Yes the plywood itself, Marine grade plywood is meant for wet conditions and does well outside, the only down side is it is pricey. But plywood left untreated outside will delaminate over a short time left exposed to the elements. OSB will rot very fast and is not recomended for exposeure to the elements unless covered (Ex. roofing siding Ect.) Any wood will rot with contact to the ground where it will retain moisture, treated wood will last longer and there is wood made for ground contact. Hope that helps
                              sigpic

Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X