No announcement yet.

Guide or No Guide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We only used guides once where I volunteered. My business partner and I were the two guides and had a blast...on busier nights we used one or two more, but we had a whole routine and the people had fun. It worked out better cuz that was the year not many Lion's member's donated THEIR TIME and the guide could vanish/appear and garner more scares. Gave it a neat aspect and crowds weren't a problem...
    Our flow rates...uh...that was tricky...
    They'd have groups pay and wait in line by the door...the older gent at the door was supposed to wait, depending on the line length, a minute or two (or until he heard a certain 'noise'). But the guy would seem to get nervous if more than 8 people would be waiting to get in and start putting a group in...10 seconds...another group...door closes...another group...
    We told him over and over...so make sure you get a trustworthy doorman!!!

Kirk :twisted:
    Kirk Boemmel
    Dark Ghost Manor
    www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

guides give patrons a sence of security.i would rather them feel alone.we had a detail officer this yr that would follow our customers through for his self enjoyment.i was gettin dam mad at him

Comment

Guides do not automatically purvey a sense of security.
        Would Dr. Lecktor as your guide make you feel more calm?
        Anthony Perkins? Vincent Price?
        Some small-town wack-o/looser who keeps looking at you as if you are a piece of porthouse steak?
        AND YOUR WOMAN SEEMS TO THINK HE'S CUTE!!!

"Security" ...we have numerous ways of dealing with that personal illusion.
        Right Vincent? Anthony? Doctor?
        I'm not a psycho path, but I play one on tv, and everynight, now I can't tell when I'm playing or not?
        The only thought in the back of their mind that still holds out a shread of hope for them is that misconception that I am just "playing", and I sometimes toy with this concept mercilessly for extended periods of their agonising time here.
        "Only my hairdresser knows for sure!"
        Any guide has a wonderfull opporunity to control the patron's attention (or to mis-direct it) that same person hiding alone in the dark waiting to go "Boo! only gets a fraction of a second to influence them, and then it's gone.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

no offence jim,in your type of haunt you need a guide.i was speaking for myself i guess in our style of haunt

Comment

There are many "right" ways to do something , usually the most "right" way is what we find works the best for us personally.
            Doing something just because it makes more money doesn't always work in the long run because customers have memorys.
            We recently had a couple deals here in which the customers were surprised that we did so much for them, over and above normal expectations.
            A little girl was too scared, her Father walked her outside, I told him if she wanted to that she could return to the tour, she did this several times and afterwards the Father offered Jessica $20.oo for her extra effort, which she refused. Sometimes extra effort is what is needed and it was a success because the girl did see and enjoy most of the house! (Future customer!!) Her two brothers (who aren't alot older than she is) have been through the house 18 times!
            Tonight a young man was pleasantly surprised when I refunded him $30 because he had sent a check a week ago and 3 of his group didn't show up.
            This time of the year refunding is no big deal, BUT if it was a busy night in October and a group didn't show up and we are losing money waiting for them while the parking lot is teeming with waiting customers, that is different because we are losing money and the tardy customer is the one to blame.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Toss the guides. It makes it more scary and if you have good staffing, it shouldn't be an issue. However, if you have different corners or doorways that lead "backstage", you'll need guides to make sure people don't go back there. Or, post a security officer at those. My haunt has one path, and all the doors are locked.
              Slash
              "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Sometimes I wish my place was just one path and everything else locked up.
                But people also come here and play hide & seek and the like and they get a big kick out discovering where the secret passage doors are and where they go, these events are almost always physically easier on me and stimulate return visits and regular tours often times.
                These activities also make there be new ways to see and enjoy the same house.
                Ever run a group through the house backwards? Entering the exit and leaving through the entrance?
                I bet the customers would think it was a whole new place!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Yes, I have considered sending them through backwards. However, most of the scenes are faced in a certain way so that the scares are directed towards them, also, they would see some behind the scenes stuff (wiring, fog machines, unpainted walls) etc. if they came through backwards.
                  Slash

Comment

Why would you be "damn mad" at a police officer following your group through? You should be lucky they want to do that instead of just standing at the entrance.
                    Slash

Comment

Security??

Originally posted by haunter112
                      Remember that un-guided customers are more likely to break stuff, steal stuff, get lost, and get hurt.
                      True but that is why we have actors, your actors should be looking out for that stuff. I remember working as a clown and some dumb butt tried taking 3 or 4 props out of the haunt. I was able to startle him and make him drop the props. I was then also able to get him out the E-Exit to security right outside on our break deck.

If your worried about stealling consider making your guides your new security guards. Also anyone going through your 90 degree haunt with a jacket on should get you wondering what they are doing.
                      5 years in the business and still ticking
                      Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
                      USSN

Comment

Just curious, when you startled the crook and he dropped the props he was stealing, did he drunkenly giggle and use being drunk as his excuse?
                        This often seems to be the case here.
                        Some used to kick and pull on the skeleton rider I built on the wrecked motorcycle attached to the side of my car, my fantasy was to walk up behind them with a baseball bat , WHACK! them across the shoulder blades and then say, "Sorry, you were drunk!"
                        If that excuse is supposed to work for them, it should work for me too, right?
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

No I just pointed tward the floor. He got the clue. I was also dressed as a clown he must not of liked clowns.
                          5 years in the business and still ticking
                          Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
                          USSN

Comment

No

I vote no on guides.

Comment

Have guides, give them all name tags , each tag says "Your Conscious"
                              Let "Your Conscious " be your guide!
                              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Jim

You are the exception to the rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X