Hey, All

Some of you may have figured out by my user name that I
    am a copywriter (freelance). What I'm trying to find out from
    y'all is what frustrations you experience when marketing your
    haunts and/or products.

If you can think of specifics, that would be great, or tell me
    about your experiences.

My business is still growing, and I'd like to make it as helpful
    to clients as possible, so your input *really* helps.

Thanks a bunch!
    Sarah
    Sarah Meier
    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
    "Words they remember you by"

Y'all

Where y'all from Ga or SC cause Y'all is generally from there and you'uns are Alabama and you all is Kentucky or Tenn - even though for some reason y'all made a big jump over Louisiana and Missippi and can also be found running rampant through some sections of Texas - my second favorite word in the south is fur - as in "What in the hell did Mr Tuxedo git all over his fur ? " or if you don't know how something works "What in the world is that fur" or if you are lost "How fur is it too the store " not to be confused with far as in " Holy crap Granny done set the outhouse on far agin"

Comment

You forgot "I'm fixin to answer your marketing question."
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

ROLFLMAO!!

*This* girl is from Texas where all the ohl (oil) is - La Grange, Texas,
        to be exact, of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" fame.

And, uh, I *am* guilty of saying the wretched "fixin' to."
        Hey, when in Rome . . . LOL.
        Sarah Meier

Comment

I've even heard a "y'all" from a girl from MISSOURI! Wuz up wid dat?
          Sarah Meier

Comment

Missouri?! She must have crossed the boarder from Arkansas.
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

Aven,

I'm sure you even hear y'all a lot when you cross over to Maryland, the northern most southern state. Certain parts here, line in southern Maryland and western like Frederick sounds downright country. My father is from Georgia, so we say y'all a lot ourselves!!!

Allan

Comment

Many years ago as I was visiting a neighbor, their back door opened and a woman who had moved north from somewhere down south said:"Abba, blabba, dabba, yabba, blabba, dabba!"
                Needless to say I did not understand even ONE word she said, but she was friendly sounding.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Well, Sarah, you've gotten lots of response to your southern drawl, but nothing to your marketing question. Sorry! My cousin from Texas says things like "I guaran-damn-tee it."

Anyway, as for marketing, all I can tell you is what I've heard since I only invest and don't have my own haunt. I know my guys have made marketing deals with food companies like big Pizza Delivery companies or family fast food drive-up chains all over town to include their coupons with customers orders, but inevitably, the chains let them down and don't include the coupons with all orders so the coupons, which cost a lot to print, go to waste, or people have to ask for them or never know about them. TV ads cost too much, so radio is used a lot and worked for my nieces and their friends. And of course this forum is used widely.
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Oh dont even get me started people! Im the guy who spent his whole life a midwest Illinois boy. But i just celebrated 1 year of life in the south.

Greensboro North Carolina to be exact. Came down the weekend after July Fourth last year and have loved it since.

The weather, Smokin Hot! (literally but i was looking for that)

The people, definetly differnt than northerners but very nice in general.

Love the southern accents and these girls they call "Corn Fed Hussie's" well dam keep feeding them the corn because it's working! ( i could write about this alone for a full page, im in heaven!)

But yeah you guys were talking about the slang!

Our Owner was at lowes the other day, we were picking up plywood so we needed a cart and he says Hey grab an extra buggy.

I stopped dead in my tracks, " Did you just say Buggy?"

" Yeah a buggy for the wood" Eddie just looked at me and laughed and said im not even explaining. I knew what he meant by it but i definetly wanted to harass him about using this word to begin with. Buggy HA !

I have had to slow him down and have him actually repeat some things just so i was clear on it. Some of those accent's especially the men with the lower voices, Hard to understand.

And yes i have actually picked up on the accent a little myself already.

Comment

The Texasism that gets me is when they say "Hey! I have an ideal!" You have an idea? "No an ideal!" Okay, what is your ideal, is it Budda? "What?"

And I have heard many say this ideal thing.

Also, I looked in the cupboard and there isn't a single woe to take to market.
                      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

My brother moved to southern Maryland many years back, and when he kept referring to himself as being in the "South," it struck me as odd.

Finally, I asked him, "Why do you keep saying you're in the South? You're way up in
                        Maryland where it snows!"

Then he explained to me the whole thing with people there considering themselves Southerners because of the Mason-Dixon line.

I still haven't adjusted to that perspective. To me, if it snows on a regular basis
                        where you live, then that AIN'T SOUTH!

JIM: I strongly suspect the woman with whom you spoke was of a Cajun sort.
                        Them thar's the most difficult to understand - even to those of us living as their
                        next-door neighbors!

That, or she was from Alabama.

KEVIN: What was wrong with "buggy"? What else was he supposed to call it?
                        Cart? Dollie?

Some people around here call a dollie "hand trucks." That was a new one
                        on me.

FEARSEEKER: You don't say "guaran-damn-tee it" when you're emphasizing
                        your point? I thought everyone was guilty of that one. Seriously!
                        Sarah Meier

Comment

So now that *I've* gotten to say a bunch of stuff about drawls, it's time we moved
                          on to MARKETING! LOL

FearSeeker:
                          I can certainly vouch for your pizza delivery let-downs, but from a different aspect:
                          I used to work in those places, and yeah, we very rarely added the coupons to the
                          orders. We didn't care. What was in it for us but more work?

Amazingly, the management didn't care that much, either, even when whatever
                          business we were working with was reciprocating!!

How many years (approximately) ago was it that your nieces heard the radio ads?

When you say that this forum is used widely, can you expand on that a bit? The reason I ask is because it seems like talking on this forum is a bit like preaching to the choir. Something I'm missing, perhaps?

I came across this article on the HauntWorld magazine link, and it really is a
                          good one about using MySpace as an effective tool. http://www.hauntedhousemagazine.com/...s/myspace.html

To what extent are y'all attempting to draw in free publicity?
                          Sarah Meier

Comment

Greg, I'd be interested to hear what you do for marketing. If it's working for you,
                            then maybe others can learn from that.

Do you have ways of tracking which methods are working? That can be one of
                            the toughest parts to tackle for many people.

Thanks,
                            Sarah

Funny you hear "ideal"; I always hear "idear," a bit like when people say
                            "Warshington." Drives me crazy!!
                            Sarah Meier

Comment

Advertising

Originally posted by Haunting Copy View Post
                              FearSeeker:
                              I can certainly vouch for your pizza delivery let-downs, but from a different aspect:
                              I used to work in those places, and yeah, we very rarely added the coupons to the orders. We didn't care. What was in it for us but more work?

Amazingly, the management didn't care that much, either, even when whatever
                              business we were working with was reciprocating!!

How many years (approximately) ago was it that your nieces heard the radio ads?

When you say that this forum is used widely, can you expand on that a bit? The reason I ask is because it seems like talking on this forum is a bit like preaching to the choir. Something I'm missing, perhaps?

I came across this article on the HauntWorld magazine link, and it really is a
                              good one about using MySpace as an effective tool. http://www.hauntedhousemagazine.com/...s/myspace.html

To what extent are y'all attempting to draw in free publicity?
                              I definitely don't want to imply that the guys that I've invested with only do the pizza delivery coupon stuff and the radio thing, because that's how they started out and they learn from what they try and add to what they're doing every year. And the more they get in investment money, the more they can spend on advertising, so they're doing much more now.

And I really don't want to speak for them. They honestly don't know I'm even a member of this forum. They know that I've seen the forum and HauntWorld but that's it. That's the main reason I try to keep a low profile, but no, I'm not ChrisGM either. LOL! So I could be the investor of any of your haunts...

It was about a couple of years ago that my nieces heard a radio spot and insisted on going to a haunt, but they still listen regularly to the radio so that still works for them and their friends, and they're in high school and middle school now.

I think you should read the following thread where all of this was discussed recently:

http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ht=advertising

You could also do a search for threads that have "advertising" or "ads" in the title. The search button is in the top yellow bar just under the Forum Title.

Let me know if you have other questions.
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X