Why do people LIE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people LIE?

Im a pretty trusting person so I hate when someone takes advantage of that and lies to me for their personal gain.

Here's the story:

I bought a few web domains a few years back because I didn't decide what I wanted to call my haunt (after being threated by LP for using the name Mayhem Manor). We decided on a name but kept the other websites just incase we decided to expand in the future. One day I received a e-mail from a "highschool kid" who was doing a haunt in their school to raise money for some club and they were on a limited budget. They really wanted one of my web domains and offered me $150.00 for it. Usually I would say no way but due to their budget and what not I said okay and sold it to them. (I mean I only paid $10 for the name) Well I just went to the site and let me tell ya by the looks of it this is no "highschool kid trying to raise money for a club." Its some multi-haunt attraction put on in some sort of stadium with a $20 ticket price.

O-well lesson learned. I hope for the best for this "Charity haunt"

Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

Language Was Invented...

So we can lie to one another!
    It served to shorten the time the caveman had to spend explaining to his waiting wife why he brought back little "game".
    It cut short the time the caveman had to spend sniffing around the cave to see if another caveman had been seeing his wife while he was ouit hunting.

A Ford dealer in a town in Iowa put on old "farmer" clothes and successfully bought some farmland because he wanted to return to his "roots" as he retired.
    The farmer that sold to the car dealer resisited selling to anyone for years because he knew his farm was a prime location...guess what?
    The old farm became the new Ford dealership location, right in a prime location bought for a farmland price!

Does anybody want to pay full price for anything when you might be able to get it cheaper?

Ever heard this one? :"I knew he was lying to me, his mouth was moving!"

Are you sure it is the same domain name? No different little words ahead or behind to make it different from the one that you sold.
    I don't have a clue? How much do you feel a super-stadium haunt would have paid you for the name?
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I honestly dont care about the money aspect of it. If they would have said hey look im opening a haunt i like that domain can we work out a deal. I probley Still would have sold them the domain for the same amount, it just erks me when people go about it the wrong way...
      Sean De Wane
      The De Wane Asylum
      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Maybe they didn't lie to you whereas the way some "Charities" are operated.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

True that Jim!
          Sean De Wane
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Yeah, that sucks.

What was the domain name though. I'm kind of curious to take a look at this 'stadium' haunts site.
            Jordan Renda
            www.NightTerrorsHauntedHouse.com

Comment

I really dont want to point out the haunt or have them harassed but it is a somewhat cool site.

www.toxicterror.com
              Sean De Wane
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Sean, Sean, Sean!

My friend its the Haunt Industry would you expect anything less? Shane
                sigpic

Comment

So after feeling your pain man, I know what it is like.

Now I will say coming from a graphic design background, I tihnk the site cold have been done by a High School student. Graphically and such.

Now I was doing some digging and hereis what I found and it seems it still is a Charity / Fundraiser event. So feel good about the sale still....or I can hope. you know. But here is what I found....
                  ______

"Unlike other fundraisers, there are no sponsors to call, candy to sell or cars to wash! All you have to do is buy a block of reduced tickets for Toxic Terrors The Haunted Stadium & resell them at up to face value, and join us for the biggest & scariest event in the Inland Empire. It’s that easy! Plus Toxic Terrors will award a grand prize to the group/organization that sells the most tickets. This is a great way to raise money for your special program while being a part of Toxic Terrors The Haunted Stadium."

_____

Now I did send and email to get more info on the event so I'll let you know as well. I think all is well in the haunt world...crossing my fingers esp since I am a big supporter of charities as everyone knows.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
                  http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
                  "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
                  http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

It looks to me after looking at the pictures, mask/costume quality and an overhead view of the Stadium, You aren't looking past the very well organized hype. You may be looking at a couple of years of serious productivity, the added intrest by some older people possibly family or family of friends. It appears to me the stadium is not that old as there is still a lot of undeveloped property around it and possibly another case of too much resources spent for no reason by the town.

Sure, for a while this will be allowed in the stadium to put it on the map and bring in a little income but, eventually it will get bumped as other sport events over promote and bring in prepaid contracts effectively queezing this haunted event.

First year it showed some fun and potential. Second year they actually got their stuff together but, so far no one has bothered to go beyond Walmart for costumes. The Myspace page shows him to be 24 years old now.

Perhaps the other haunts that have been around for a while in this multiple attraction deal have moved in on this good opportunity and potential. That's kind of what happens out here. It takes the efforts of many with each having some resource to pull it all off quickly.

I'm seeing some smarts, not necessarily lieing a few years back. And again this web page all shows some great resources at face value but it might just be good signage and habitrails. Which is fine, it works, again good judgement fitting the resources to what the number of paying customers really is.

These older dudes capable of paying for or creating a nice web site, could just as easily be dissappointed (if they were hoping to get paid a percentage of the gate) with a lack luster turn out or a few years down the line losing it all as the arena promoters have better paying gigs and the haunt customers "have seen it". Everyone got their money and nothing more was put into producting a better haunt. better website. better promotions.

I'm just saying. We all know how dealing with a bunch of people for an event can turn out to be really dissappointing. Notice there is no photo page on the website of elaborate things that have gone on in the past.

The pictures on Myspace are at another event where the stands are half filled as promotion. It appears the actors are asked to volunteer, (like the football team?) charities are asked to sell blocks of tickets to make thier money. All very good promotion. Still I see no track record of anything already seriously impressive. It may be fun and have tremendous potential and this 24 year old is going to learn SO much and has done so many things right so far.

Yes, good luck to them.

For example, my gypsy habitrail can pop into any place that has the proper promotion and facilities. It would be an over night success and is an impressive investment. The thing is, the haunt was actually constructed some sections as long ago as 1979. Like a systems analyst, I put pieces and parts together, remodeled and detailed other things added twice as much with new stuff but, have only had it total for maybe 8 years?

To the uninformed it is impressive. Bob was only mentioning this idea he had two weeks ago and then wham here is all this investment. This is really going to be some event! Which is the reaction you are after.

Making $150 on a domain name is probably good. It could have been as low as $18.99 on a bid because they know you are only spending so much per year to keep it.
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what you find out.... It will be piece of mind more then anything that I didnt get screwed over. The only screwing I enjoy is from my girlfriend.. wait did I say that out loud? Opps! hehe
                      Sean De Wane
                      The De Wane Asylum
                      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Still not clear how you got screwed over when you got $150 for something that you paid $10 for and weren't using.....? That's a 1400% profit.

just sayin'...

Comment

Jack this might be a little extreme but say you bought a house ten years ago for $20,000. That house is now worth $300,000 and you were not living in it. Would you take $100,000 for it? Good web domains are hard to come by these days and owning the actual web domain of your haunt without extra words in it like TOXICTERROR.COM can be worth alot of money. Some companies paid millions for theirs. Now don't get me wrong this isn't about the money. Like I said befor I STILL probley would have sold it to them for the same amount, its the fact that they decived me and lied to get it.
                          Sean De Wane
                          The De Wane Asylum
                          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Maybe you can figure this lying out just by reading this old saying:"He will tell a lie, when the truth would serve him better."
                            Maybe it's the thrill of the swindle? Like shoplifting small unneeded items just for some perverted excitement.
                            Not all of us have our acceptable pleasures and thrills in the correct order, leaving the illegal ones off that list.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Sean

Something interesting I noticed. The actual web page is ToxicTerrors.com

It looks like ToxicTerror.com is quickly redirected to that site.

I don't know if they already had ToxicTerrors.com or not, but it looks like they wanted your domain just for the convenience of being able to draw people to their site who didn't get the address quite right.

Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X