Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I be considered...

a Professional Haunter?

I have been haunting for two years, this will be my third. I have done the last two years in a very old 7000 sq ft retired School (three floors), and this year I am moving the show into a 60,000 sq ft retired Hospital (four floors, using three for the Haunt)

There is one problem with all this and that is that I live in a town of less then 5000people, however I get approx 30% of the population go through my Haunt. I am also reaching much further this year with my advertising so I'm hoping the numbers will rise considerably.

So what do you think? am I in your league? not that I put that much emphasis on that, my aim is for a good show, but I would like to know.

Well.... I don't know about the Big Heads, but I would consider you to be in the same class.... this aside, who cares what others think, you are doing your thing and prob. kicking aXx doing it.....
    Last edited by maliciousstudios; 08-17-2008, 03:11 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
    www.maliciousstudios.com
    "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
    http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Are you asking if you should be looked upon as an equal ? Or are you asking if you should be considered as a pro haunt? I mean , I would guess that most haunters can't be considered PRO unless they live soley on their earning from haunting. I mean if a basketballer goes pro he plays for a living...same with a musician, they are independent.... Atleast that's how I'd look at it.... which my opinion means squat.... I'm nobody just my opinion take it or leave it....lol
      Last edited by maliciousstudios; 08-17-2008, 06:15 AM.
      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
      www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

I think pro means you rent or own a building, charge admission, get inspected, have insurance, pay your staff, etc. It doesn't really relate to your attendance.

If your staff is volunteer and you donate most of your proceeds to noble causes you are generally called a charity haunt. There are haunts out there that don't pay actors and are not charities but still try to make a profit....I don't know what they would be called.

If you do it out of your home or yard and don't do most of the above stuff you are generally called a home or yard haunt.

How good the show is really doesn't relate to what type it is, except larger for profit events tend to have bigger budgets. They also have to spend lots on operations, rent and safety, so up to a point it is a wash.

As far as living off of the haunt I would think that is a VERY low percentage... Even folks that could live off the haunt usually have other things going on.

All any of us can do is the best job we can with the tools provided in the time we can spare.

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
        NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
        www.Fearworld.com
        www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts guys, I appreciate them.

I guess I was just asking because it seems the people on this forum take this business very seriously and it would be nice to be thought of as many of you are, Pro Haunters.

I do rent a building, charge admission, get inspected, and have insurance. The difference is as you can imagine in a town this size I have a lot of friends that step in as actors. I also give a portion of admission to children in need.

As I mentioned before, of course the bottom line is the show I put on for the people. Hopefully they like it and think it was worth the admission. I am fully aware that is truly what matters.

Comment

I would categorize a pro haunt as a haunt whose profits are actually that: profits.

A "charity" haunt, I believe (I could be wrong), is one which is governed by
            rules for its proceeds. For example, X percentage of net proceeds would be
            required to be placed in certain funds. A charity haunt is formalized by
            filing as a 501(c)(3) organization.

In a "for-profit" haunt, these requirements do not exist.

Where I differ from Speculo's definition of a charity haunt is in the pay status
            of the actors. To me, if you are running a for-profit haunt and the actors
            choose to work for free, well, then that's their choice. It has no bearing
            on what is done with the proceeds of the haunt.

As for garnering all your income from the haunt in order to be considered
            pro, I would respectfully disagree with that, too. There are thousands of
            freelancers and moonlighters in all kinds of industries who work for pay.
            But just because they hold down more than one job does not detract
            from the fact that they are professionals.

And the way you describe your haunt, it sounds to me like you are
            definitely a pro!

Cheers!
            Sarah
            Sarah Meier
            Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
            "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Haunts aside, what does it mean to "go pro?"

I think everyone is a professional, just ask them. To me ( just my opinion ) after thinking about this since the thread started..... I think there ARE a limited amount of people who run a "pro haunt" because its hard to attain. Simply saying that if you have a yard or home haunt you are a home or yard haunter. If you have a charity haunt you are a charity haunter. If you have a haunt you are a average haunter. Finally, if you have a haunt that is beyond this and has taken it to the highest level, where you would live from the revenue generated by the haunt you would be "pro"

Going pro to me doesnt question the integrity of a professional were all professionals, we all try to act professional ( most of the time - Im retarded ) going pro to me means taking your haunt to the "highest level" one can achieve.

Malicious Studios
              www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Connotations of the word "pro"

Then you are wondering whether your haunt has reached a certain status.

The criteria has not yet been set, as we have seen in the thread
                "America's Best Haunts," LOL.

But I see what you mean.

Yes, your haunt is far beyond that of a home/yard haunt. But are your
                props, scares, actors, etc. of a "pro" caliber? My guess is that the answer
                there is "it's relative."

If you have a seasoned eye, which has seen numerous money-collecting
                haunts, then you would be better able to judge.

Have you watched some of the videos that have been posted? That
                might give you some idea of where you are. If at all possible, too, go
                to the nearest city one night and go through the haunts there.

Sarah
                Sarah Meier

Comment

This is why I dont categorize haunts as "professional".

I split them up between,

commercial attractions, aka, for profit,

home haunts, and

charity haunts.
                  Brian Warner
                  Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                  Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                  Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

maybe its best not to categorize haunts as pro, like gadget stated.... I guess his haunt list is a bit better. Because Pro to me seems above average, as pro should mean. which most have not achieved, if not about the money then must be about the quality.... quality meaning that not every haunt falls into this category of Pro by means of budget or abilities. So to not tarnish one feelings it is prob. better not to rate a haunt in that way. Top 13 to me is a promotional advertisement for the industry as a whole, which does ( sort of ) represent some ( not all ) of the industries best or ( pro ) The videos I had seen were very good, but most show the best parts of the haunt, its not the haunt experience. This couldnt be used to judge what haunt is better due to the fact that they are made up i.e. The Whoper or Big Mac on T.V. looks better than the one you get in the wrapper when you visit as a customer.

Even though this is the best way ( in my opinion ) to judge them, because it is impossible to visit them all and judge them before the year is over.

Ive always thought instead of trying to be the best in the nation the list should start with the best in the sate. Once becomming the best in the state the list would be narrowed down to 50. I know what your going to say, thats too many ....or who cares about 50 haunts spread across the nation.... BUT I would think that one single person at that point could view and choose who from the 50 would make the top 13.

Just my 2 cents.... ( but then again Im cRaZy )....lol

Malicious Studios
                    www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Haunting Copy, I'm not sure but I think you may have mistaken maliciousstudios as the one who started this thread, but it was me.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, it just seemed that way to me because of your reply.

Comment

Once you have mentioned your haunted house in a shaving commercial, you are pro.
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

lol..... "men who want the edge in the haunt idustry use Edge Pro Gel "

Sometimes you're cool and contained. But other times it feels good to get into a real lather. Edge Pro Gel is dispensed as a gel, but oh, baby, look what happens when you rub it onto your face. It lathers right up for a sinfully luxurious shave. Extra lubricants allow your razor to simply glide across your face, making it especially nice for guys with sensitive skin. You need only a dab of gel per shave, so this aerosol can will last and lather for a good long time.

Quote from Richard Johnson owner of THE WORLDS SCARIEST HAUNTED ATTRACTION:

Hello Folks ! Hi my name is Richard Johnson, you may heard of me Im the owner of THE WORLDS SCARIEST HAUNTED ATTRACTION. All of us here at Malicious Manor ( THE WORLD SCARIEST HAUNTED ATTRACTION ) start every day with a good shave, and when we shave we like to stay on the edge with all we do in the haunted house industry as well as in the bathroom.
                          Thats why we use Edge Pro Gel..... Edge Pro Gel Helps us look and feel like a pros, it goes on smooth and helps me look smooth as we stress out over animatronics and air compressors.
                          We wouldnt start a season without it....get yours TODAY !!!
                          Last edited by maliciousstudios; 08-20-2008, 01:41 PM.

Malicious Studios
                          www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Mind View Post
                            Haunting Copy, I'm not sure but I think you may have mistaken maliciousstudios as the one who started this thread, but it was me.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, it just seemed that way to me because of your reply.

No, you're probably right. But I'm too damn tired to look, LOL.

I'm sure y'all knew what I meant . . . whatever it was I said.

zzzzzzzzz......
                            Sarah Meier

Comment

Okay, Malicious, that shaving cream thing was too funny!
                              Sarah Meier

Comment

Working...
                              X