Another pneumatic question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pneumatic question...

I got the 12 volt dc adapter need to supply power to the motion sensor and solenoid but I dont know how many milli amps the solenoid needs to run. I got a 300milliamp adapter and that was the lowest radio shack had.. I dont want to cut the wires and have it not be enough power because then I cant return it

Here is the solenoid, Its the 4-way valve...does anyone know if The adapter is powerful enough?
    http://www.frightprops.com/frightpro...ID=A-0013-0024
    Drew and Shane
    www.deadenddungeon.com

your power supply will work fine for that valve.
    Jim H
    Dark Raven Designs
    http://www.darkravendesigns.net

Comment

I agree that you will be ok with that adapter. A couple of quick points:

1. You really cannot have too much amperage in a wall transformer (especially a regulated one) so don't worry about buying one that is "too big".

2. RadioShack has a plug that goes into their adapters and comes out with bare wires so no cutting is needed. Most stores should include one of these in the price of the adapters in place of the "adaptaplug" that is normally included.

Comment

Yep, that adapter will be fine. For future reference, just find out how much power the solenoid consumes (which is normally very little)...but you can always buy a 1000 mA transformer and that will provide plenty of power.
        Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
        [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Originally posted by icandrawem2 View Post
          Yep, that adapter will be fine. For future reference, just find out how much power the solenoid consumes (which is normally very little)...but you can always buy a 1000 mA transformer and that will provide plenty of power.
          Alright thanks, i was going to buy the 1000 mA but the guys at radio shack told me it would fry the solenoid and I could start a fire...
          Drew and Shane
          www.deadenddungeon.com

Comment

Originally posted by dshaunt View Post
            Alright thanks, i was going to buy the 1000 mA but the guys at radio shack told me it would fry the solenoid and I could start a fire...
            A solenoid valve will never draw more current than it needs. You could have a 2000ma power supply, but if the valve only needs 250ma to operate, that's all it will use. Power supplies don't force more amperage in.
            Brian Warner
            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

OMG! Next time you are in that store tell that person that they need to go back and retake some certifications. You could also tell them that this is coming from someone who has been with the company for 24 years. LOL

Comment

Why would it fry your solenoid? The 1A is the max current it can source. If it is a 12volt supply it is going to output 12V. That doesn't mean it outputs 1A it only means it can have a maximum draw of 1A. Measure the impedance of your solenoid and then calculate what the current draw is.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                X