"I heard sounds like a mechanical tiger!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I heard sounds like a mechanical tiger!"

Is anyone else watching VH1's Celebrity Paranormal Project?

It's a reality show where they take five C-list celebrities, put them in an historically haunted place, and have them search for paranormal activity.

The show is presented as a real paranormal investigation but it's obviously rigged. The more reluctant celebs get conviently left alone in the dark and find themselves bombarded with strange sounds and disembodied voices. Some celebs appear to be in on the joke but most seem genuinely frightened.

Anyway...

There seems to be a lot of interest in ghost hunting right now. Many paranormal groups (including the guys from T.A.P.S) are organizing ghost hunting expeditions, where they'll allow anyone to tag along and participate for a fee. Tickets cost hundreds of dollars and sell-out almost immediately. I'm sure some of these paranormal groups are "rigging" their ghost hunts as well.

It's all got me thinking.

Could a "for profit" haunted attraction be presented as a "real" ghost hunt?

I'm talking about presenting yourself as a ghost research group, charging people a fee, taking them to a remote location, and having them experience a little artificial "ghostly" phenomena.

Is anyone doing this (other then some of the shadier paranormal groups)?

Is it fraud?

Since no one can prove that ghosts even exist, aren't ALL these "for profit" expeditions promising something they may not be able to deliver?

Opinions, please!
    Guerilla Haunter

The Ravens Grin Inn is a haunted, haunted house. We have had a "Ghost Seeker's Night" October 31st over the last 3 of 5 years (not every year).
    This year the main interest in being here October 31st was discovered to be some older teenagers simply looking for a party house for the night, we said, "No."
    Can't guarantee a ghost!
    We have stated this right up front from the start, BUT things have always happened in that room.
    As far as the people showing up for such an event , you will find mostly people that already believe in ghosts and some of them seem to bring their own ghosts with them.
    Things have happened here in the wine cellar that I believe no human being has the talent to physically make happen. ("Houdini" was good but not this good!)
    Just a few nights ago at 1:55am three of us heard a woman's voice coming from above us in that room, she was melodically sort of singing and it wasn't the wind blowing from my shorts either!
    Almost every business has to see a volume of customers to make money, but I feel supernatural activity usually doesnot happen infront of a room full of noisey "Gee-Gawkers", which a group like this will become if left in a group of more than maybe six people. (Or was 666?)
    Like to babysit a bunch of people in the dark? For how many hours?
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Haunter,

I do theatrical ghost hunts with or without a seance. In my case, I advertise them as theatrical, though many people forget that part by the end of the night. It is hard to make really good money doing these simply because you need to keep the numbers small for it to be effective. If, however, you are a stong storyteller (and being a magician doesn't hurt either) these can become pretty popular.

Dave
      Lords of Chaos, LLC
      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

I think the scariest thing in that episode of "celebrity paranormal" was Gary Busey.

I remember when they had that show on MTV called "Fear", which was the same concept except without celebrities, and seemed a little more intense, though also rigged. Always fun to watch

I think a paranormal style haunt would be a really good idea, I mean, style the actual event as a creepy ghost hunt, less action but more suspense, eerie silence, slow pace. The startles would be more effective, could still use your 20 foot tall Scare Factory prop, but that silence would really make the prop effective and worth the money, if that makes sense at all...

The high action haunted houses are fun, with bloody things flying this way and that, giant monsters coming out of this, things flying up there, falling down there, screaming over here, but after a while, there's no dynamic. I would guess my point is maybe we should take some pointers from the actual haunted places. Can maybe have an interview in the next hauntworld mag with an actual ghost, see what they have to say? Besides, they are the real experts
        - - Luke - -

Comment

Then again, maybe like the "ID" in "Forbidden Planat" I'm just making things happen here with my mental abilities?
          If this is the case , I seem to be getting better at it. That's how I released myself from the grip of an invisible monster that was laying ontop of me , pinning me to the bed one night, I just reasoned and rationalised it away.
          She never calls anymore, though.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

By the way, what does a mechanical tiger sound like anyway?
            - - Luke - -

Comment

Originally posted by SSP
              By the way, what does a mechanical tiger sound like anyway?
              You'll have to ask Gary Busey.

Ooooooooooooooohh... SCARY!!!
              Guerilla Haunter

Comment

Working...
              X