Vortex Motor Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex Motor Help

We are in the process of building a votex tunnel for this years haunt. I went and priced a motor I was told would work at Grainger only to find that the motor would run almost $600.00

Is this the standard price or are thee cheaper alternatives that could be used? Any help would be great as we have the tunnel almost done and now just need the motor for it.

Thanks

Don't spend that much. There are hundreds of different motors that will work, most of them much cheaper than that.

You didn't say anything about your construction methods but you should be looking for something that is 115 volts and is rated for continuous duty. The heavier the actual tunnel is and the more days you plan on operating it the larger your motor should be. You could probably use one as small as 1/4 horsepower, but a larger motor won't have to work as hard and will last longer and give you fewer problems.

The $600 motor you are looking at is probably set up to run at very low RPMs. You can use a regular motor with either a couple of different sized pulleys or a speed or gear reducer to slow the motor down, which is what most people do.

One good source for most of these parts is www.Surpluscenter.com

I am using a 1-HP 3450 RPM motor on mine, with pulleys to slow it down.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Shawnc

Glad to see ya back! What brought you back? Me? Larry? the drama? It is hard to stay away huh? Shane and its I knew ya did not go to far Shane this time!
      sigpic

Comment

I'm back because: 1) A few people from here encouraged me to stay; 2) I learn a lot here and am able to help others. Evernight's post was on here for more than a day with no answers. 3) Someone pointed out that there is an Ignore Member feature, which I am going to activate in a minute here. That should make many of these threads much shorter, less dramatic, and more interesting.

Shane, you still need to break up your long posts and use spellcheck. You're wrong about people caring so much about what you're saying that they will read it regardless of how difficult you make it. Bye now, I'm off to find that wonderful Ignore Member feature.

Comment

Shawnc

Bro you really do need to stop with the spell thing. Dude making me look or feel stupid is just plain silly and a waste of time on your part. Man whats up with you? You are acting like a cry baby that cant take criticism ( did I spell that ok for you?) Your last post to me came off as your a Diva and no dude wants to be called that LMAO!

Dude if you can dish it be able to take it. Don't be so all serious all the time! Even Larry can dish it back! Tyler well ummmmmmm Tyler is just Tyler! People want you back so we can have fun with you! Man go out find ya some and come back and stop being a d**K head! No one likes that. Hey if you got some free time maybe you can teach me to spell. Would you be my teacher?

I am serious man whats up your azz? Your acting all crazy! Its a small world and weither or not you like what I say there many have mentioned that they enjoy reading my posts! Just as I enjoy reading Jim's and many other post out there!

I hope I have broke this up so it will help you see what I am saying. I am serious man you said you did not have a haunt open. Man go out find ya a place and open an awsome haunt and stop acting like a 2 year old who is running to the teacher each time something don't go his way! An ignore button is only for those who can give it but not take it. Shane and its Shawnc can't handle the truth Shane this time!
          Last edited by graystone; 08-24-2008, 03:36 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Shane. Did you put on a Marine General's uniform and effect a Jack Nicholson expression when you quoted his line about handling the truth?
            You must have seen that movie, right?
            I always wonder if people who are always saying this have the word "truth" tatooed on a special place on them somewhere?
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Lol

Jim I have a temp tattoo but when I shower it will come off. Right now I have went without a shower for 3 weeks but I am holding up well.

Shawnc where you at? Surly you did not marry that iggy button did ya?

I got to thinking you must be really down and out about something to go all ape shit on me.

Can we have dinner?

Mabe I will buy you a dozen roses LMAO!!!!!

Shane and its come on Shawnc I hope this helps you read better this time Shane.
              sigpic

Comment

Shawnc

Pay no attention to that redneck behind the burlap and black plastic. He's another ignorant mofo' who thinks belittling other people makes him the big man. He don't realize it makes him just another pig wallowing in his own filth.

If you look at his haunt pictures you'd see that you could put together a better looking haunt with a group of Jaycee kids.

When he spouts again don't let it bother you. Let it slide off like water off a duck's back.

-Beau Ghast-

Comment

Evernight

Look at used jacuzzi pump motors. Lot's of torque.

-Beau Ghast-

Comment

Ok unless its absolutely necessary, dont buy anything from Grainger...its like buying a gallon of milk from the convenience store....easy, but very expensive in the end. Back when I built a tunnel (I just sold it by the way) I used a Marathon 1HP 1725 RPM motor with a Boston Gear speed reducer with a 20:1 gear ratio...It will take your motor down to around 80-90 RPM and depending on the size of your drive wheel and the tunnel itself, should put it at the right speed to induce some vicious vertigo. Best of luck.
                    Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                    [n8 creative studios]

Comment

I want to recant that statment I made about Grainger....they are a great company and have alot of good products...its just that they are up there in price most of the time... BUT anyways
                      Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                      [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Working...
                      X