Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap but good plastic/ foam life sized skeletons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap but good plastic/ foam life sized skeletons?

One of my favorite props are skeletons. You can never have enough of them. Heck, you can always put them in costumes and throw a mask on them if you get tired of one in particular.

However, cost is an issue when you need several.

The cheap latex ones look great and work for hanging or laying down in a coffin, but not so good for posing because they bend where bones wouldn't bend. Plus, latex rots after a few seasons of heat.

The Bucky skeletons are great, but expensive and pretty darn heavy. (They cost a lot in postage too. But they are very durable.)

There used to be great hard foam skeleton sold by Alarming Products, for like $35 or $40. It didn't weigh much, you could pose it, even hang it from fishing line. Low postage also. But they stopped carrying it. Does anyone know if these are available somewhere else? They seemed the best deal. I still have mine from four years back and it's none the worse for wear. (I only wish I bought a bunch back then. If you have an old one for sale, email me!)

I've also seen some hard plastic ones now from Grandin Road (or something like that) but they are $70 or so-- or does any one know where they are available cheaper?

Or are there other lifesize non-latex but still afordable skeletons out there that anyone knows of? A good source for durable but cheap life sized skeletons would be good information for all of us to have.
    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Not exactly a plain, realistic skeleton

but one of the projects I have always had fun with is taking a cheap WalMart or Big Lots skeleton and "corpsifying" it. When you're done you can't tell how bad it looked when you started, and it always seemed a shame to cover up all the wonderful detail in some of the more expensive skeletons out there.

This can be a great project for the kids, or new members of your haunt who want to get their feet wet making something. No matter how bad they do, you can always fix it or just paint it as is. I think Gore Galore has a page on their site with some good instructions.

As for finding a source for nice, realistic skeletons at a reasonable price I haven't had much luck either.

Comment

Shawnc

If your not using yours this year would you mind giving them to monsterwax I am sure he would love to have them.

Monster pop shawn over a email and ask him to send them over to you hes not using his! Shane and its Shawnc come on don't be this way.
      sigpic

Comment

edited.... my post....cant delete
        Last edited by scareshack; 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

It's late in the season now, but you might call Sunstar, I think they sell them for around $ 15.00 in foam. They are lightweight and can be used for decoration.

Sunstar Industries Incorporated
          1005 E Artesia Blvd, Carson, CA 90746-1601, United States

Phone: (310) 638-6934

SIC:Toys and Hobby Goods and Supplies

Line of Business:Whol Toys/Hobby Goods
          Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

Short on $?
            Need alot of cheap skeletons? High detail?
            Not afraid of bending your back?
            One flashlight, one sharp shovel, one graveyard plus one dark night.
            How simple can it get?
            Can you dig it?
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Okay Jim, I fell for your prank. So the rest of you won't, let me warn you not to follow his latest advice. I found out the hard way!

When I started digging at my local cementary, all I got was GRIEF. First, Jim failed to mention that after about 5 feet, you hit a cement SLAB. They apparently place the coffin inside a concrete shell. (I found out later it had something to do with ground water concerns.) Then, after several hours of picking away at that with a pick ax, the cops showed up with flashlights and hounds. I had to do my best "spring heeled jack" imitation to get the hell out of the there fast! Those blasted dogs still managed to bite the seat off the back of my pants. If that's not bad enough, the local undertaker informed me that even if I made it past the slab, the coffins are locked! YOU CAN'T WIN!

I get the strong suspicion that it's quicker and cheaper to just buy the fake skeletons, plus I would have saved about a quart of blood from mosquitoe bites (or where they Vampire bugs?)
              www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
              X