Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about hanging chains in a hallway, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about hanging chains in a hallway, what do you think?

I've seen many haunters use chains hung from the ceiling either in a room or in a hall. We are doing a decapitated head hallway this year and I wanted to hang chains also, what are the prefered chains to use, metal or plastic?

I've seen haunts use both before.
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

I would use plastic. Even plastic I think if someone swung it hard say at the person behind them they could get hurt? But if your hanging heads by them it would probably be okay. I would never do real metal chains.
      Damon
      Damon Carson

Comment

People do such stupid things, they sometimes swing my plastic chains so hard they smack the wall sounding as if they might be metal!
        Only use steel chains after you weld every link to the next one, then stand them up, nice and tall! (Fastened to ceiling AND floor!)
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey doc,

Not only hang the chains but take wire and put it through the loops so you can bend it in any direction you choose??

Just my thoughts

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

Comment

This is such a difficult decision! If you hang them close to the heads, people have to choose, do I brush the head or do I brush the chain? Nice effect, but the safety issue is making me hesitant. Thanks for the suggestions thus far, I will use them in my internal debate.

Comment

Many moons ago, I worked in a haunt that used real metal chains in a Hellraiser-ish room. In order to get the effect of the room being filled with chains, they had shorter chains that hung about 8" above patrons heads (ok, a person of average height), then they had some longer chains scattered throughout, but those weren't near the patrons path. They also used a BOGO-type light with a stencil of chains to project on a wall. We didn't have any issues that year.

Now this didn't happen at a haunt, but a friend of mine got her hair caught in a chain on a swingset and we had to cut it free her. I couldn't imagine having to halt your throughput because someone got entangled.

I haven't had much luck with plastic chains. To me, they just don't seem to have the same impact.
              www.mindseizure.com
              www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

chains

i can tell you i have used both in my haunt and can tell you that the plastic work ok but usually get pulled down or stolen through the event you daid you are doing a hanging head hall way why not use fishing line so it looks like they are floating in mid air with the propper lighting metal chains are ok but teeth can easily be knocked out with them as well :roll:

Comment

Did anyone spray paint their plastic chains with chrome spray paint?
                  Looks real good!
                  Fishline hanging down to tickle people's hair /head actually can cause a fair amount of pain if the face is sweaty and the fishline then drags slowly through the sweat, rolls up your eyelid!
                  OUCH!

I know this can happen because it happened to ME!

If I could build absolutely fool-proof products... I would be building nuclear plants.
                  Even a solid steel anvil wears out.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Chains

I'm using plastic chains in my dark ride haunt "The Dungeon Haunted Ride". The white chains show a blueish glow under blacklight (looks pretty cool too) shown in the attached pic. If using any type of chain/prop, you take the risk of someone getting hurt. We had a rider pull one of the chains down (it was attached with a metal clamp, a chain link broke apart) and swung the chain hitting one of my actors in the next scene. Left a nice red bump too. Luckily the actor had a mask on but it still left a mark and an attitude.
                    Since then, I've tried to situation them out of reach although some still reach out further than expected.
                    As Jim mentioned painting, we had a hellraiser scene and painted plastic chains in a chrome/silver color. It worked out really well and was away from the riders. The actor walked thru the chains towards the patrons.
                    As with any haunt prop, think about how to secure it and about the potential of someone getting hurt if they get their hands on it. It can sure piss off an actor and then the real life screams begins
                    Good luck,
                    Attached Files
                    Tom
                    Creator of the Dungeon
                    WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Working...
                    X