HEY you "THE" make-up artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and not this:
    Last edited by Nightgore; 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM.
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

... but to each there own I guess. Everyone will run their show the way they see fit. I for one will stick with contract based work, working with college theater students, etc. etc.

One thing we are going to do is prepaint ALL of our prosthetics, that way our make-up crew just has to glue them down and hide the edges... something that, really, ANYBODY can do! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Not to be a D1CK but, if you expect to get paid high salaries in the Haunt Industry, you're in the wrong business. Makeup artists who make a lot of money work in the Movie Industry. (Hollywood, not "B" Movies or Indy Films).

No offense to anyone, but my experience has proven that most (not all) haunted houses pay as little as possible to get by with a decent haunt. It's those HH that take it to the next level to be big shows that have the cash to pay more. It doesn't mean the haunts that pay less are crappy, just that they find ways to cut costs to keep profitable.

I guess I'm just saying if you are a makeup artist in the Haunt Industry, your chances of making a decent salary during the haunt season isn't all that great, although of course there are exceptions as mentioned in this very thread.

That leads me to another point, as long as talented people are willing to give away their talents for little money, there isn't much a talented makeup artist that isn't willing to give their talents away for little money can do about it.

It's like any other industry, the price is whatever the local market will bare. If there is a ton of talent in an area willing to work for cheap, you either have to accept the price or move to a place that has better opportunities.

For some odd reason, I've often found that very artistically talented people give their services away. Maybe it has something to do with getting experience, lack of self confidence, just doing it for fun, ego boosting, or something I don't quite understand. As long as other people continue to take advantage of that fact, then all the polls and complaining in the world won't make it any better.

That's all for now - thanks for reading.
        Steve Martini
        Screamline Studios
        www.screamlinestudios.com
        steve@screamlinestudios.com

Comment

The important thing is to treat ALL of your staff with respect. Treat them like professionals, pay them what you can (and what the market will stand) make sure they are prepared for the tasks ahead, and make sure they are safe.

We do everything a charity does ( Parties, rewards, year round gatherings, awards, etc.) AND we pay them, but most of all, it is a seasonal job. If they are not having a good time and you are yelling at them, they will not give you 100%, that is if they even show up.

No matter how many nice sets or giant monsters you have, the staff and the actors are what matters the most. ONE rude, nasty, angry employee can and will ruin the best haunt ever made.

Money matters, but in Haunted Houses there are a lot of things that matter even more...

Focus on your entire staff, including your make-up staff, and you will already be ahead of the game.

Thanks!
          Ben Armstrong
          NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
          www.Fearworld.com
          www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Again Tyler

I said" MAIN"! READ WHAT I SAID "MAIN"! YOUR pics to discrdit me has done nothing but show you stole a photo off a site that has a copyright. And I am sure they did not give you permssion! Never the less you little snot nose little P***K your getting bolder by the minute. Larry I suggest you deal with him before I am forced to! As far as you believing me I could give a rats ass if you do or don't again visit us then come back and try your shit! !. Larry word of advice your boy has posted a picture without the owners concent I am pretty sure! Deal with him you created him. Larry me and you need to have a serious talk and not one where you call and say listen Shane! My views and yours are very different and I will continue to agree to disagree with you on views in somewhat of a professional manner your groupies is another thing!

Jason my friend sadly your right! It seems no matter how much experience you have you still cant get the edge in the Haunt Industry! Any way Jason all you good boys will someday get your weight in cash! Hang in there! Shane and its Larry I warned ya Shane this time.
            Last edited by graystone; 09-03-2008, 05:39 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Tyler, those photos took a HELL of a lot longer to do than might be implied by your post. Its not Dawn of the Dead or Hell Boy, its a haunted house. You only have a few hours...

I will say this, about the two "bad" examples. The both of them look like they are into their characters and having fun. If that girls screams bloody murder in the dark she is going to scare a lot more people than captain pecks saying, "watch me flex my muscles". No matter how good the makeup...... makeup is about WAY more than looks..... its about making the living part of the show work!
              Last edited by dr0zombie; 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM.
              http://www.innerfears.com/
              http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

You Know dr0zombie

I never thought about it like that! But man you really hit the nail on the head! Well put and a Great point! Thanks for making me see that. Shane and its I wish I thought of that Shane this time!
                sigpic

Comment

I am sure there are many make-up artists out there that have busted there ass over the years only to be taken advantage of by the owner, this is were you need to stand up for yourself, and all make-up artists and be payed what you are worth, keep in mind you are hired for a job, a job the owner could not or has no time to do. I like many spent most of my life becoming a decent artist going to college after college only to see the tightwads make the money and prosper off us suckers who love what we do and as steve said giving away our talent. I guess what i am trying to say is being taken advantage of should be a thing of the past move forward grow and make some DAMN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com
                  Last edited by screamline studios; 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
                    Get off the fourms and help Bill hes having to do all the work! Larry yes I am obsessed with you what can I say! Now here in Alabama and Paul at Atrox will tell you the same we pay our makup artist 75.00 per hour and I think Paul pays 100 or even more per hour to do the main chatacters! Also there is a 2500.00 bonus at the end! Yall do the math.

Now unless your smoking crack my point here was if your a good makeup artist you should get paid like one. You can pay a makup person 5 or 10 bucks an hour and I say person because no good make up artist will work for less than 50.00 an hour and even at that price thats way cheap! So if ya want to give them milk and cookies fine with me but if you want a good artist like say Jason or David Flesh or Robin Patterson just to name a few then pay these people what they are worth! Shane and its I am proud to pay my makup artist good Shane this time!
                    That is the funniest thing I have ever heard you say.
                    Jared Layman

Comment

Jared

No wonder we see more of you and less of Bill, HE'S DOING ALL THE WORK!
                      Jared trust me now is not the time to slack off, get in there and give a hand.

Comment

I take the pay the haunt gives me. It's markedly less than I charge otherwise. Why?

Because the haunt lets me do something I love--scare people. In realtime.

Movie work, while lucrative, doesn't do that. Nor does random work I get.

Would I like more? Sure, who wouldn't?

But here's how it works.

The makeup crew has 2-2.5 hours to get everyone made up. There's 8-10 of us and 45-50 actors. About 5-10 characters are 'icons', the rest, except for 5 'breakers' are room themed. The breakers get makeups that depend on who they're breaking. Okay?

So you've got 4-6 actors to make up, one icon, 3-4 room themed, and 1 breaker.

How much would YOU pay me? I've done 4 indy flicks(3 makeup heavy), 2 s/f shorts, a whole helluvalot of fandom headpieces, prosthetics and whatnot. Last year, at the haunt, I was asked to make the Juggernaut from 13 Ghosts--which I'd never seen. It's a pretty intricate makeup. I built it from random foam pieces, single ply TP, liquid latex and makeup(including some of my own formulation) right on the face of the actor who wanted it--from a black and white printout.

So I can improvise.

My stuff has been taken for real injuries in two local hospitals.

I could probably make more if I focused solely on the non-scare side of the business, but then I wouldn't be able to make you scream.

Comment

Jack.

For years any make up that i applied was beauty make up or male corrective make up so i can definitly relate, but in the long run i think it makes you a better artist. As you look at this poll seeing the five dollar mark being second on the poll doesnt it just boil your ass over with anger!!! it makes you want to say screw it and just focus in on movies..

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

Comment

Heaven isn't "getting paid" for your work. Heaven is when you order a six piece nuggets and they give you seven... and a switchblade! But seriously folks, I wouldn't disclose the intimate details of my agreement with Dream Reapers on here but I will say that my pay rate reflects my knowledge, training and experience. Can I borrow ten bucks?

Comment

can someone give sheldon 10 bucks so he can pay me the money he owes me from last night...lol...

maddi ~
                              WWW.SCREAMLINESTUDIOS.COM
                              440-392-2666

Comment

Sheldon, does that mean you're having to pay THEM to work there? LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X