HEY you "THE" make-up artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY you "THE" make-up artist

OK guys and girls are you being shafted by the skin flint owners or operators on your make up skills, are you making a couple bucks an hour only to see them walk away with all the profits(eating lobster and drinking only the finest bottle of wine) to me i have a huge problem with this!!!! If anyone out there thinks they deserve more stand up for yourself.........And larry k. you dont count. Because everyone knows if you dont like the post you just delete it!!!

Jason Blaszczak

http://screamlinestudios.com

p.s Please keep in mind i opened up the price scale to see were everyone/ including the haunt owners would be at.
    make-up artist gets $5.00 an hour
    31.82%
    make-up artist gets $25.00 an hour
    40.91%
    the make-up artist should make way more an hour
    27.27%
    Last edited by screamline studios; 09-02-2008, 11:32 PM.

Not paid by hour... I think it's smarter for a haunt to pay a flat pay nightly with cash bonuses. That's our approach for not only make-up artist, but actors, front of house, managers, etc. etc. -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Jason

First let me say LMAO Larry K! Ok I got my laugh out! Go easy on Larry Jason! Ok I think pay should be by the hour and I think the pay should reflect the experience of the artist! I don't see an artist with less than a year of experience getting the same pay as one of oh lets say of 10 years!

Tyler lets hope when you grow up and go out in the real world to make a living that you don't get paid a flat rate! Artist are just like any other profession what the hell makes you think they should get a flat rate and the rest of the world gets paid by the hour!! Tyler thanks for insulting Jason and the rest of the make up artist out there! Way to go I don't think Larry can help you out of the hole you just dug for yourself this time!

Jason and the rest of you make up artist that bings the world of haunting and horror alive and in my opinion one of the most important! Pay no attention to Tyler hes young and often opens his mouth without thinking! Shane and its getting paid by the hour Shane this time!
      sigpic

Comment

I usually make about… what, make-up? Oh, I thought you said make-out artist.

Sorry

You couldn't afford me anyway.

KDaddy
        Hauntus Emeritus
        Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
        Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

Shane,

Our artist are paid $35 a night... no matter if you work 2 hours or 8... with a $500 end of haunt bonus. So...

Let's say you worked all operating nights (15 nights) , that's $525... and with the end of haunt bonus... it's $1025!!! We also have stuff like free food/drink, free tickets, end of season party, free shirts, etc. etc. etc. That's not to bad for only 15 nights of work!

Also, work up a deal with a local colleges theater dept. and see if you can't give college credit to theater students who come and work! This could range from make-up all the way to set design and contruction!

From a business stand point, no seasonal haunt should be able to feasably (did I spell that right?) pay $25 an hour for a make-up artist... if so, they'd better be damn good and do ALL the actors in a fair amount of time!

-Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

tyler, our makeup artists were paid the same way, flat rate for the season. So Shane, why not back off tyler, he is paying his artists better than we ever did. They are contracted at the begining of the season to show up for 16 nights, do makeup for 3 hours a night, and go home, or do the other job they have at the haunt, such as managing one of the attractions. I dont see how being paid a flat rate for a specific amount of worked time is an insult to them unless it works out to being like $1 an hour or something. If tylers make up artists get paid $1025, and work 2 hours a night for the 16 nights being open, that's $21 an hour. That's not bad for a professional anything.

Of course everyone in any industry, especially artists always deserve more than they are making, but, if an attraction can't afford to pay $30 an hour to every make up artist, is it better to just not open the haunt, or still have the haunt and have people who love what they do working for you that don't mind working the love of it, and $10. Right now I would work for free just to have an attraction to work at since ours closed.
            Last edited by gadget-evilusions; 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM.
            Brian Warner
            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
              First let me say LMAO Larry K! Ok I got my laugh out! Go easy on Larry Jason! Ok I think pay should be by the hour and I think the pay should reflect the experience of the artist! I don't see an artist with less than a year of experience getting the same pay as one of oh lets say of 10 years!

Tyler lets hope when you grow up and go out in the real world to make a living that you don't get paid a flat rate! Artist are just like any other profession what the hell makes you think they should get a flat rate and the rest of the world gets paid by the hour!! Tyler thanks for insulting Jason and the rest of the make up artist out there! Way to go I don't think Larry can help you out of the hole you just dug for yourself this time!

Jason and the rest of you make up artist that bings the world of haunting and horror alive and in my opinion one of the most important! Pay no attention to Tyler hes young and often opens his mouth without thinking! Shane and its getting paid by the hour Shane this time!
              Well Shane, hopefully when you grow up and go out into the real world you will learn about salaried workers and contract workers that get paid a flat rate to do a job. They do have those in Alabama don't they?
              Jared Layman

Comment

Our make-up artist receive one ample portion of gruel every evening. It is served hot, and their choice of one condiment from our selection of salt, pepper, or butter. Make-up artist that do an excellent job, and stand out above all the others do not have to suffer the daily motivational beatings. Most make-up artist only escape that once or twice per season. The competition to avoid the motivational beatings becomes quite fierce. Other artists will often sabotage who ever escapes the beating, so that they stand a better chance of escaping it the following night. Over all it is a pretty sweet deal for our make-up people.
                However there are a few bad apples that slack off every season. Those I deal with personally by punching them in the face. A few hard blows to the face one night really improves their over all skill and speed the next night. Of course that is just the way I work. I’m a hands on kind of haunt owner. Yes, I swill champagne and eat caviar, but I keep the little people that make my haunt work happy as well. You can ask any one of my people, and they will tell you that they are very happy with our arrangement. If any of them has a complaint, when you talk to them, please let me know their name. I will see to it personally that I make them happy again. That is just the caring haunt owner I am.
                I have to run know. My private jet has just finished refueling, and I got a lunch date in Paris…France, not Texas. I’m still trying to spend all of last years profits to make room for this years money in my vault. Haunted house ownership is tough. Sometimes I wish I was just a make-up artist.
                sigpic
                Louis Brown
                Owner, operator, and dish washer
                at
                DarkWood Manor

Comment

I think they should be paid set amounts per night, I don't actually like this poll because there should be more options than those three. For one pay should be based on what the person brings to the table now someone as generic as this poll.

If you are talking about Rick Baker well no price would be enough, if you are talking about someone who has movie experience or movie make up skills we're talking about another level of pay. If you are talking about someone who runs the whole department opposed to someone who just shows up and starts applying make up again another pay rate. If you live in LA opposed to North Dakota again another difference... everything goes into the figure from cost to living, supply and demand, skill level and responsibility.

I would pay someone a lot more or a lot less based on the who, the what, and the where... each case is unique and different.

Jason your skills could be on another planet, you may be able to manage the whole operation costumes and all and your value could be worth double, triple the next guy.

Every situation is different and ever so called make up artist had much different skills than the next guy.

I'm sure all would agree.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Shane,

I'm sorry to everyone for taking this off topic but I just have to ask...why is it no matter what the thread is around here, whether I post or I don't post, every post you make has to somehow include my name, or references to me. Do you love me, or are you obsessed with me or what?

People are trying to discuss a pay scale for make up artists and you use my name like 3 or 4 times for some reason. What is your deal? Can you respect a thread a good one about something that isn't about you or me?

Lets try to stick to the topic and leave me out of your rants. Please.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Shane does kind of sound like a jealous girl sometimes when he is making fun of Tyler.
                      Last edited by mindtumor; 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM.
                      Jared Layman

Comment

Hmm....

I am torn between hourly and flat rate.
                        As a make up artist who works pretty fast and generates quality haunt makeup (toot! Did you you hear my horn??? LOL) if I was paid the same hourly wage as another slower, equally talented artist - I would be ticked. Same would go for a flat rate across the board.
                        I would favor a flat rate with set hours, and pay reflecting talent level.
                        Another thing to consider is speed AND talent. You may have an excellent artist that does 5 makeup jobs per night that kick ass, and you may have another artist, still kick ass, rockin the haunt makeup and can bust out 10 jobs. pay need to commissurate with both factors.

Damn Jason, I never knew you could be so thought provoking!
                        (And if you have any jobs you need help with this season, call me! )
                        Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

I agree with Tyler

I would go with a flat rate, if it was a large volume haunt I would pay an above average makeup artist $150. minimum

Comment

Jared

Get off the fourms and help Bill hes having to do all the work! Larry yes I am obsessed with you what can I say! Now here in Alabama and Paul at Atrox will tell you the same we pay our makup artist 75.00 per hour and I think Paul pays 100 or even more per hour to do the main chatacters! Also there is a 2500.00 bonus at the end! Yall do the math.

Now unless your smoking crack my point here was if your a good makeup artist you should get paid like one. You can pay a makup person 5 or 10 bucks an hour and I say person because no good make up artist will work for less than 50.00 an hour and even at that price thats way cheap! So if ya want to give them milk and cookies fine with me but if you want a good artist like say Jason or David Flesh or Robin Patterson just to name a few then pay these people what they are worth! Shane and its I am proud to pay my makup artist good Shane this time!
                            sigpic

Comment

$75 an hour? I just, well, I don't believe that at all! If I were to pay a make-up artist that, well, my make-up better look something like this:
                              Last edited by Nightgore; 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM.
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X