Would it Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it Work?

Hey there. My family and I (I'm 18 and don't got alot of money, lol) are moving from a house in a town, with an average size yard, to an acerage in the country with 14 acres! Now since we decided we were going to move, I had started to think, if I could do a haunted attraction. There are literally no haunted attractions around, except for a corn maze. Now if I was to do a haunt, about 9 of those acres out of 14 (other 5 acres is yard) could be used. The 9 acres are currently being used by my uncle who is a farmer. Now one of the ideas that I had, was to do some kind of drive through haunt. Do you think some kind of drive through haunt would work, if so, what could I do?

If that wouldn't work out, I was thinking I could just do a normal haunt, starting with mabey a few Scair Structures or temperary buildings, to see how to public responds. i was also thinking that I could have the people walk through the field on a set path going to different areas, with some small buildings and sets. Another option could be a hayride. I could also do a pumpkin patch, which I think would do pretty good.

Just wanted to get some ideas and suggestions from you guys and see what you think.

Thanks,

Dustyn

P.S. I have attatched a picture of the property from Google Maps. The area inside the yellow is the 9 useable acres. The light colour outside of the yellow is a dike, which was built in the case of a flood.
    ________
    Love Discussion
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dusty588; 01-24-2011, 05:15 AM.

I didn't have any money when I began either, but I was starting at the age of 38 with alot of tool usage (Not "That" tool!) and building, wiring and sheet metal experience.
    I am just assuming since you are 18 that you have not worked in the trades for 15 years, right?
    No matter what you may try to accomplish, filling 9 acres with scary entertainment worth a customer's willing to pay for the priveledge to partake of will take ALOT of grunt work and time and unfortunately Money.
    You should keep it simple. Add to your show every year as you can.
    As simple as it can beig a few graves (all you need is a shovel and some ambition) Make some signs , especially to get people to find where you are.
    Create a good story. What scares you? What would wierd you out?
    Walk your route in total darkness, find out what you need to make the trails more user-friendly, not everyone walks well you know, some people are very clumbsey others unlucky. Some do all right walking, scare them, they run.
    Even the simplest set up in the woods still takes alot of plain old work!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for tips/reply. Once I move there. I will have to walk the field at night, and see how it would really be. I also go ahead of myself and I want to do all the big stuff rihght off the top, so I have to remmber keep it simple.

thanks!
      ________
      R80
      Last edited by dusty588; 01-24-2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

It looks awfully flat, which is why I was never able to do a hayride in my area. Hard to be scary when they can see you coming a mile away.

What are the plans for the property? Are your parents planning on growing anything? Or planting any trees?

The cheapest easiest way to hide some scares would be to haul in some old cars/trucks/buses, which I am sure would thrill mom and dad to no end.

If it is really as flat as it looks, maybe you could plant some fast-growing shrubs at strategic places around the area for next year.

Comment

It is really really flat lol. It is used right now as a field for farming (wheat, Soy-Beans, etc) If I did a path kind of thing, I would mabey build temp. structures/buildings and have different sets. I could get other things to hide scares like you suggested old vehicles. Another thing, don't know if it would work, would be to get some corn planted, but not a large area, but get the corn planted as the path (corn on either side) Only time will tell.
          ________
          Honda VT600
          Last edited by dusty588; 01-24-2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

hidding a haunt

We used a cornfield that we drove through for many years and Field of Screams in Pa does an amazing job in an area that is pretty wide open before they start working with it

Comment

Working...
            X