Haunted House Association (HHA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Association (HHA)

If you join the Haunted House Association, will anything come in the mail to let you know you have successfully joined? Will the newest magazine come or will you get the next one when it is released? Will there be any type of notice when you have to renew your membership? Thanks for any info!
    Bill
    Bill Rod.
    Dark Tech Effects
    Automated DMX Lighting
    Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

You will get the latest magazine and yes you will get something in the mail.

We are working on our first ever industry directory and you will get that for joining as well... the industry directory will be released at Transworld 2009.

We are already over 200 PAID members, and climbing. We are going to make a major push for membership in December.

Our goal is to be at 400 paid members when the association becomes incorporated, with bylaws and the first board is voted on.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry, received everything very quickly in the mail, and thank you for your response.
      Bill Rod.
      Dark Tech Effects
      Automated DMX Lighting
      Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post

Our goal is to be at 400 paid members when the association becomes incorporated, with bylaws and the first board is voted on.

Larry
        Larry when is this planned to be carried out?

Comment

To put it simply, the goal is to create an orgainization that looks out for Professional Haunted Houses.

The plan would be to have a membership level that would allow anyone to join, and a level for haunted house owners.

The voting and board would be composed of Haunted House Owners. That way, even if they differ (Perhaps they compete in a market...) they would be coming from the same angle... protecting and growing the industry.

What are the goals? Well that would be for the first board to decide, But you can bet a group like this would have the knowledge, means and the will to do great things.

This would be a group that is exactly what it says ....The Haunted House Association.

When you say? The goal is to orgainize after the season and lay the groundwork. The first massive meeting would be in St. Louis.

IAHA speaks with a broader focus - Its goals and its membership and board are literally all over the map, and it charges in random directions everytime there is a leadership change. Many of its programs and ideas send shudders through the owners of existing Haunted Houses. They mean well most of the time, they just don't represent existing Haunted Houses.

The goal is to do that, and that alone, with The Haunted House Association.

I have discovered that while Haunted House owners differ on many things (The art of haunting for example) the core concerns about getting open, making a living, marketing, and growing the business remain the same. This is the way we make a living folks, this is how we plan to put our kids through college, and we cannot let it be screwed up by well intended orgainizations that just don't know what they are doing.

So there you go.

I am sure in November there will be lots of discussion on the subject - when it comes lets have some healthy conversations and forge this thing in steel!

Thanks!
          Ben Armstrong
          NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
          www.Fearworld.com
          www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

A suggestion. You guys may have already talked this over, but it may behoove your board to include a couple members who are *not* haunt owners.

They could come in handy as tie-breakers or have expertise that can be of service.

There was a medical facility board I served on once. There were only a couple medical people on the board - and that board ran like hot butter!

There were accountants, concerned citizens, attorneys, and nurses. The thing they all had in common was a devotion to the cause.

Anyway, point being . . . don't overpopulate your board with the same type of contributors. It's a death knell!

Best of luck, y'all!
            Sarah
            Sarah Meier
            Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
            "Words they remember you by"

Comment

Sarah-

I agree with you 100% to a point regarding the board. Although your analagy to medical facility board is not as relevent. Its compairing apples to oranges. At a hospital (I work at one) the board is consisted of doc, nurses, administrators, and patients all of which have the hospitals best interest in mind. As a patient you somewhat know how the hospital should operate. The haunt business is different. Most regular huant goers dont really understand what all goes into putting on a great haunt so it might be harder to give vaulable input when it comes to the board, esp in a tie breaking situation. I think the board should be made up of both haunt owners and non-haunt owners but only the haunt owners have voting priveldges.

Just my 2 cents worth
              Sean De Wane
              ----------------------------------------------
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

The board should be made up from a wide variety of people within this industry, and not dominated by one type of view or point of view. The board will be voted on by the industry, the members, and this will be a new association for this industry. Once professionals are behind the effort then you can finally get down to brass tax of what you want to accomplish and how do you get there.

Although our industry is made up of all sorts of people such as home haunters or enthusiasts or vendors or amusement parks to whatever else, the direction and focus should strickly be on the advancement of the professional haunted house industry first and foremost.

How do we promote our industry to mainstreme America? How do we overcome hurdles, and obstacles, and how do we deal with issues that can adversely affect our livelyhood? Or simply how do we make our industry better, advance our business, or find common objectives that benefit all?

Bottom line this is what should be done, must be done, and will be done!

We have no choice but to start from scratch on this and get it right this time.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com

Comment

For years I ran a St. Louis automotive magazine. We basically sold advertising to St. Louis car dealers as a vendor to their industry. All the while, I paid my dues to the St. Louis Automotive Dealers Association as an "associate member". The true benefit and sole benefit to me was being listed as a member and as a supporter of their industry, and for my purpose, this was a huge benefit.

However, their bylaws stated that ONLY fellow professional dealers could sit on the board. I could not sit on their board, nor could I vote on who does sit on their board.

For a professional association this makes sense, because I, as a vendor, would have completely different agendas than the professional car dealership. Their association was run well and run right.

You cannot have an association FOR the professional haunted house owner and allow those with other agendas on the board. Others should be able to join as "associate members", but should not be allowed on the board or even the right to vote on the board. That's my opinion. Keep the lobbyists out (so-to-speak). It's the only way to succeed. One direction!...One main goal!...One committed board!

---Patti
                  blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net
                  Did you know...The HauntWorld Online Haunt Directory networks with ALL of these websites to bring you the BEST possible results for increasing your haunt business:
                  www.HauntWorld.com
                  www.HauntedHouseOnline.com
                  www.FindHauntedHouses.com
                  It's the most comprehensive online ad campaign you can buy! I'd love to earn your advertising business. Email me today at blacklightminigolf@sbcglobal.net.

Comment

Working...
                  X