Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Based on an argument going on.. How many here are christians?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell Yeah

Religion and politics are 2 things we should ALL stay away from.
    You see when you are talking to people....you never know what religion or what political stance they have....until you open that subject a little further.

Once you find out a good friend has opposite religious/educational/political views....do you view them different? Yes you do...

If I told each and everyone of you I don't believe in any god.....
    half of you would think.....what an idiot
    the other half will agree

Well.....I was beat by the nuns and priests just like my brothers....
    Grammar school all the way up to high school.
    Now some of you will no doubt think....that explains it all Ken
    But over the years of being beat like a dog and having the issues in life I am having....one would begin to think....what the hell did i do? Pick on someone else.
    BUT I can also look around and see people who are in much worse shape than me......and that also makes me wonder....what the hell did they do to deserve this?

Now one thought to ponder..........boy I hope the people that worship the elephant or a rat in india aren't right!!!!! We are all screwed!!

OK now on to politics.......anyone???? care to start that mess????
    I am voting for.....um........Walt Disney
    Yes his head might be frozen.....but he has a better vision than either of the jokers we are faced with.

Oh and just incase someone wants to match wits in the political arena
    I.......have been known to support the bad guys....the republicans
    So yes...I voted for Georgie Porgie pudding pie

And if you want to start on Iraq and all the other bs.....
    Just step away from your keyboard and go paint some blood on something
    Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

The thing you have to remember is that, whatever your opinion, whatever you post online exists forever.

I have some definite political, spiritual, and social views that I rarely discuss on public forums. Why? Because, as an owner and representative of The ScareHouse, I have an obligation to make sure that the business makes as much $$ as possible.

Say, for example, I posted a message on here saying that "Anyone who votes for Sam Yeiblotz is a fool!" or something similar.

A group of Yeiblotz loyalists plan on bringing their group of 30 die-hard fans out to ScareHouse. One of them does a google search and finds a post by one of the ScareHouse owners condemming the Yeiblotz. Angrily, they decide to instead visit a different haunt and bam... I've just lost $500.

My cast and crew is made up of a wonderfully weird mix of people with radically different religions, lifestyles, sexual orientations, and political views ... and we all get along spectacularly well because everyone respects each other and their choices. In fact, I believe that it's that mix of contrasting backgrounds and opinions that makes our show so interesting.

I'm all for a healthy debate and conversation -- but that rarely happens when people start talking about politics and religion online. It quickly turns into a lot of heated stereotyping and name-calling... so I agree with Ken that it's a topic best left to other boards.
      Scott Simmons
      The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
      http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

your White House example is interesting as I actually have some experience with bomb warnings and its actually a pretty good example.

Sorry to disappoint you, but were you to call the White House and say a bomb was going to go off, nobody will say, thanks for the info, sorry, but I need hang up now and clear the building

When an individual calls the police or security services with a bomb warning they are expected to provide some evidence or qualification that they are not a crank.

Answers like it was in a vision from the Flying Spaghetti monster, the Easter Bunny left it or God told me are good news, as 99% of the time they are cranks... the other 1% are individuals who do know something and don't want to declare their real source of information, subsequent questioning of the individual is supposed to eliminate that 1% uncertainly.

Outside of the instant cranks the next stage is to establish what evidence there is and what the level of urgency is, known Terrorist organisations that like to give pre warning of bomb attacks are given code words to validate their warning, if the caller gives the correct codeword then its an instant evacuation.

This then leaves us with the doubtful group, if a bomb caller doesn't fall into the above two categories then a moderate alert is raised and the caller is further interrogated to establish the validity of their claim, and this involves the caller providing proof that they are genuine and have genuine concerns... "I have faith that this is true" is not considered a valid reason to shut down central government, however "I was on the bus and saw a person of xxx description praying and carrying a backpack that contained wires and bottles of smoky coloured liquid get off and enter the Whitehouse at 3:30" then you will immediately have security scrambling for the CCTV footage and thanking you for your assistance.

The point is that if you really want to save and convince people then the burden of proof is on you, and going round claiming visions from the Easter Bunny doesn't really get to clear the building.

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
          Your right this poll is to see who are Christians in the Haunt World/Indusrty. All of those who are other religions or if your a monkey swinging atheist sorry this is not about you. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT CHRISTIANS. You may want to start your own pole. This pole is like church if it dont pertain to you or you don't believe or your of some other fourm of religion thats fine just keep it out of this thread. Again its about Christians! Shane and its Our God Is A Loving God Shane This Time!
          Shane, are you always this bitchy when you feel threatened? Get over yourself. Seriously. You sound like you're about 14.

This thread is for anyone who wants to post to it, just like any other post here. (And for the record, it's POLL, not pole. I prefer body parts butchered, not grammar.)
          ~"Who died and made you f*cking king of the zombies?"

~"Bill, get your own funeral. Timmy and I are going zombie."

Comment

Aw man, and I was gonna vote for Yeiblotz, too!
            ~"Who died and made you f*cking king of the zombies?"

~"Bill, get your own funeral. Timmy and I are going zombie."

Comment

Phoenix,

you make a very common point and it's something I have heard before. Is the physical evidence that I can show you to say here, look I have God in this little box? No. It's called faith for a reason. Faith is believing in something that you can't necessarily see, touch, taste, etc. I would wager that we all believe in love. Can I put love in a box and show it to you? No. We all believe in love because we FEEL love and because we can see it's effects on and in our lives. The same is true of God. I believe in Him because I feel his presence and because I see His effects in and on my life. I could rattle off provable facts from the Bible or philisophical arguments for the existence of God but it all comes down to faith. There is no "smoking gun" to prove God.

As far as other faiths...I have studied some on the other major world faiths and the one major concept of Christianity that speaks to me is the idea of God reaching out to man. In all other major world religions the idea is to somehow do something to attain enlightenment or a "Heaven" of sorts. Christianity speaks to me because it says that none of us deserve Heaven but that God, in His infinite love and mercy, has offered us all a way to make things right. This just really makes sense to me that God would love me and want a relationship with me and actually reach out to me for that relationship even though I have sinned against Him. I believe that there is nothing that I can do to deserve Heaven but that God's grace allows me the chance to go none the less.

I think that we all have to be open minded. My faith is constantly changing and growing and it's because I am open to other people's views and ideas that challenge and strengthen my faith. I don't believe that I have all the answers...I don't think anyone does. I am simply one man doing my best to live each day in a way that would be pleasing to God.

It's simply a topic that I love to talk about. I think it's great that it has been brought up here and that a bunch of mature adults can talk and agree and disagree and do so calmly and respectfully. It will sputter out eventually and that's fine but before it does I just want to thank all of the aetheists and others who may disagree with me and other Christians but have been respectful and tolerant. Taloerance is something that almost seems like a dirty word to some people but I think we all need more of it. We may not all agree or approve of various choices or lifestyles but we can all tolerate each other.
              Kip Polley
              www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
              We Engineer Fear

Comment

Yes you can show love, maybe not in a box, but you can isolate the chemical Oxytocin and show how the body reacts to it in a physical and psychological way, and you can demonstrate the production of Oxytocin when in the presence of one you love... Oxytocin is the smoking gun that proves love.

Comment

Barber School

Would tell it's students to not talk about religion or politics with the customer because of the danger of losing a customer.
                  I knew a very succesful businessman who constantly smiled and said, "Oh?"
                  and "Oh? I didn't know that." As his customers were bitching and reaming their neighbors a new one in public.
                  They all thought that he was taking their "side" in their inane arguements.
                  He probably never lost a customer doing this, he might have lost his mind but never a customer.
                  None of us has God in a box but you might find him in National Geographic magazines.
                  Some of their photos of micro-microscopic worlds all around us in blazing color astound and challenge anyone denying a master plan exists, in my opinioin.
                  Radical people make what we call "religion" obnoxious, this is not anyone's doing but theirs and should not threaten nor diminish the positive feelings anyone ever feels when happy with this world around us.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Okay, guys and gals

As much as I am *dying* to dig into this topic again, alas, I am going to ask that we request Larry to delete this thread.

Don't worry, we can always take it back up after the season is over!

Larry has requested that we try to keep the boards positive, at least until the season is over. I'm willing to go with that.

But after that, Larry, I want a place to FIGHT! j/k

In haunting love,
                    Sarah

P.S. If you guys are interested, you can go to this thread to see what I'm talking about: http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ead.php?t=6109
                    Sarah Meier
                    Haunting Copy Copywriting Services
                    "Words they remember you by"

Comment

So you believe that love is merely chemical reaction. That's a bit short sighted, I think. The chemical production is merely a symptom of love, not a cause. You don't love because you produced Oxytocin, you produced Oxytocin because you loved.

I look at the world around me and the amazing things within it and can't grasp the idea that it's all random chance. Your body is made of tiny little cells that perform specific little functions. They are made of even smaller components (ribosomes and vacuoles and all the rest). Those are made of even smaller atoms, which are made of electrons, neutrons, and protons. Now we even believe that quarks and leptons make up protons and neutrons. It's unbelieveable.

On the other hand, VY Canis Majoris, the largest star we have found to date, is about 78 billion times the size of Earth. Equally amazing on the other side of the spectrum.

My point is, I look at these things and see God's glory. I find it impossible to believe that these things are as they are by random chance.

If you want proof of God, the best thing I can tell you is to read the Bible with an open mind. Start in Matthew or John. Both good books. Belief in God is something that you have to find for yourself. It can't be given to us.

Sarah may be right that, for now, the topic might not be right for this forum but the cat's out of the bag now and if anybody wants to keep chatting privately about it PM me. Since I am one of the biggest posters on this thread I'll take it upon myself to make this my last message on the topic. It's been fun. I've enjoyed listening to everyone's opinions and talking over the things we don't all agree on. Good stuff.
                      Kip Polley
                      www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                      We Engineer Fear

Comment

I've been a member of this forum since May, but I've only really been "haunting" (had to say it!) these forums regularly for a few months now. All I can say is that you guys definitely don't hold back! Politics, religion, class wars ("Who's haunt nets over $250,000?"), rants against individuals, rants against businesses, ongoing feuds...

As for me, I'm just in a really good mood today. After all, it is Halloween!

Comment

Of course the inter net provides secret disguises names and personalitys, thereby giving courage to the not -so-brave.
                          How many would also be saying those same things if they were taken to task right after they said it?
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Wow....I picked a great time to come back to HauntWorld after some much needed time off.

I chose not to vote on this poll as there are three things I always preach not to discuss with people, unless I am talking to certain people in person.

1- Religion

2- Politics

3- Money (how much a person makes compared to others)
                            Steven
                            Rolling Thunder Productions

A Tisket A Tasket, They Put Me In This Casket!!

Comment

WOW...

If it comes up in conversation, I admit to being a christian, but in the past few years, it's been tough. It's difficult to find a christian (who openly declares their faith frequently) who isn't a complete hypocrite. Say one thing (when god is watching), and then do another. I've seen it a million+ times.

I have always, and will always try my best to be a good person and do the right thing, in hopes of pleasing god. I'm just not sure I want to be grouped in with this crowd anymore. In college, I was challenged by a seemingly angry "christian" who told me that I was going to hell for masturbating. More recently, I watched a group "christians" shout ridiculous accusations at a passing car because it had an Obama sticker on it. Just two nights ago, my family was accosted by a couple of "christians" for trick-or-treating.

I didn't vote in the poll. I'mma be a closet christian, but while we're on the subject, anyone ever heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? If you search it, read the wiki on it first. Otherwise it may not make a lot of sense. I think it's hilarious.
                              To look meant danger, to smile meant death!

Comment

Oh what the hell...

Actiondeath brings a good point here which I will dive into even further.

I grew up in a Catholic family. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten through fourth grade, then onto a private school for fifth and sixth, then back to Catholic school for seventh through graduation. During that time in Catholic school we had mass every morning in elementary school, and once a week in high school. We cannot forget about being forced to church every Sunday as well. In the ninth grade I joined a group called "Youth For Christ", who happed to have a group called "Campus Life". I got heavy into religion from 9th grade through a couple years after graduation. I went to other churches seeking the place to be. I have an uncle who is a Catholic priest. When I was attending youth group at a Baptist church, my uncle told me it was wrong of me, and the Catholic church is the only way to go. Yet in the Bible there is a verse which I do not remember word for word, but it goes something like this, "As a man of God, you may not tell people who to worship". So what is the difference between Gods of different religions?

All of my statements I make are not intended to piss anyone off for any reason; They are just quite simply my opinions. Do not take these to heart. If you do not agree with anything I say, just blow it off.

Like I said, I tried various religions looking for the one that I believed in the most. The problem is, I cannot find that one religion that fits me. Each religion has its pros and cons, in other words, each has beliefs I do not personally believe in, or has disbeliefs that I do believe in. One such church does not believe in dancing. They view dancing as a sin, unless it is joyful dancing for the Lord. Now being that I am a mobile disc jockey, I do depend on people to hire me to play music for their guests to dance and have a good time. Another church I tried says it is a sin for their members to drink alcohol...Yet I see their members in the local bars I play at, and they are definately drinking alcohol, not a Shirley Temple. Another church said there are three different levels of heaven, not one heaven that all good people go to. What about the one church that says only 144-thousand people go to heaven. How do I know they don't already have that heaven full? There are more people populating North Dakota than that.

I did however find the perfect religious place for me. I call it doing the right thing. I admit I do believe in God, however, to what extent I am not sure about any longer. I do not believe in organized religion, since there are those things that each one has that I may not agree with. I live my life the best I can. I try to do what I think is right. There are times that I do pray. I only go to church for weddings, funerals, special occasions, and my most favorite is on Christmas (I love listening to the organ and the choir).

I've had things happen in my life where my opinions have changed over the years. I have also talked to and listened to religious people of different faiths tell me about why their religion/faith/church is the only way to go. If all of these faiths differ so much, than the question arrises about if there really is a God. And how about this Bible that was written so long ago. Who put the Bible together. These various writers of the Bible did not write everything down from day to day; They remebered it years later. And once again I ask, who put this book together?

This is why I don't like talking about certain topics. I guarantee this post will get some replies and mis-interpretations, so I'll end this now.

Once again, these are just my opinions.
                                Steven
                                Rolling Thunder Productions

A Tisket A Tasket, They Put Me In This Casket!!

Comment

Working...
                                X